Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems uploading my website

Options
  • 29-04-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hi all. i am a little green to the the whole uploading of a website. i have downloaded a template website and edited a couple of pages. I am using Cpanel.net and also using Filezilla client as FPT and to be honest i havent a clue about FPTs. i am guessing that they are a way off uploading files to the web, uploading is not the problem display is.The problem i am having is that when i type in my website on the address bar www.energyrate.biz an index of pages is comming up. what i want to know is how do i get rid of this index so that when logging on to www.energyrate.biz the homepage comes up instead.Regards,Shane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Rename home.html to index.html. That should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

That worked a treat thanks. Im making headway but i no i will be back for more info at a late time.Thank 'n' youShane

Smcgie wrote: »
    That worked a treat thanks. Im making headway but i no i will be back for more info at a late time.Thank 'n' youShane
    No probs, good luck!

Hi i have my site uploaded but the images are not comming up. i have a clip art picture/logo but it wont appear when i go online.

go to www.energyrate.biz and see what i mean.
    Do i maybe have to name the image file differently?

Well it's looking for the image image004.gif in a folder named Index_files. Are you sure the file name is correct, and do you have a folder uploaded named Index_files with the image in that folder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

your "images folder" should be in the same part of your website as your index file

You have the website looking for

Index_files/image004.gif and
    /images/splitter.gif

You should save your images(.gif's, .jpegs, .png) in to a folder caller images
    and upload them to your website

index.html
    Images(folder)
    contains==>image004.gif
    contains==>splitter.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

It's hard to notice because you have a black background (bad idea in the first place IMO), but you have a load of CSS code printed out on the page. If you view the source, you see it all after the closing html tag.

sorry Im still stuck.... :o

I moved all my image files into a folder called images, but Cpanel x wont allow me to upload a folder, only a single file at a time. so i uploaded all the images then created a file within cpanel (online) called it images and then moved all images in.

Still get no pixs visable. :(

what do you mean CSS code printed all over the page.?

I am using word to create the page as i have no experience with degsigning in source :o I just used a template design as a start.

in your eyes the sites prop like a junkyard right??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I am using word to create the page as i have no experience with degsigning in source :o I just used a template design as a start.
    I think that Word has trashed the template. The original template looks quite different, especially the top menu.

Also, I would suggest you go with a very different template. If I was looking for a BER I would expect to see photos of houses, insulation and maybe someone with a clipboard doing a BER.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dkell

in your eyes the sites prop like a junkyard right??

Emm yes :)

Have you got all the images in a folder called images, which is in the root folder? (so if you go to www.energyrate.biz/images/yourImageName.gif, do you see the image called yourImageName.gif displayed?).

If you're trying to upload files, you'll be faster using FTP than doing them individually through cPanel, so something like Filezilla will allow you to upload multiple files at a time, and create folders.

You'll learn more about HTML & CSS at W3Schools, so you don't have to use Word to build your sites ;)

Thanks everyone. I think i am trying to cycle a bike for the first time without stableisers.

I am gonna fit the stableisers and do a little research into html/CSS before i jump in with two feet (AS USUAL) :rolleyes:

The thing i am afraid of is, not having to pay a webdesigner (i dont mind this as it prob will have a more prof look) but i want to be able to update the site myself.

I cant BER the thought :p of not being independant (Excuse the pun)

Best wishes
    Shane :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Damien1989

The site is...to put it bluntly, Crap looking. find a decent web host for example, Hyperphp, transfer your domain name to them and create your site using something like wordpress, seditio or joomla, that way you'll be in control of updating it and keeping it how you like, i wouldn't recommend seditio if this is your fist website because that involves editing .tpl files and tags and it's a nightmare if you dont know what your doing!
    Joomla would be best. if you need any help, Private message me! good luck!

Advertisement