Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mapped drives in XP

• 29-04-2008 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I have three Xp pc's one acting as a file server for two others. My problem is that one of the second workstations will not map the drive from the server. All PCs are on the same network, subnet, with the same workgroup. I mapped the first W/S fine, But I have no idea what is wrong with setting up the other. It also cannot see the shared files on the other PCs from the one with the error. Possibly sumtin stooopid but any help is appreciated, Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Just a thought but is the Windows Fire Wall turned on on either machine especially the server. It will stop any other machine seeing it.

Have you tried searching the network from the machine that will not see the drive on the server to see if it can see the server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Are they running XP Pro or Home? The networking is different between the versions. Best bet is to run the Network Setup Wizard on each of the machines and especially the recalcitrant one.

This seems to work especially on XP Home boxes, but it can happen with XP Pro as well. Depends on how the system was set up in the first place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's probably the firewall

otherwise make sure all are on the same workgroup and setup a new user on each with same username / password to rule out that stuff

then connect in via IP adrress to rule out names

then try connection to \\192.168.1.x \share with the new name
    don't forget to try each pc to its self first

Advertisement