Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookies take hit!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In-running at races is very harfd to get an edge,
    events like soccer matches, are much easier to exploit an edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Bluetonic wrote: »
    What bookies are these?

With regards to the hedging, William Hill for example have their terminals linked into Betdaq terminals to lay off any big exposure automatically. It's a done thing, simple as that. The degree to which it's done is unknown and is a varying thing.

Innocent question, when I signed up to betdaq as an ordinary joe soap, I had to do the usually anti money laundering stuff and confirm that I was not a bookmaker. I assumed that the latter part was on the basis that bookmakers were strictly barred? although a glance at the sums of money and exchanges per event clearly shows it is saturated with bookies.

On a seperate matter, i know bookies try to operate a 110% book on racing and maybe 150% book on golf events.

But for match odds on a football game, they appear to operate a 100% book! So how do they make their edge? do they lay in running ? For an example, look at the match odds for tomorrow's UEFA Cup final,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    But for match odds on a football game, they appear to operate a 100% book! So how do they make their edge? do they lay in running ? For an example, look at the match odds for tomorrow's UEFA Cup final,
    If you take the best price available with different bookies you can usually make a book of around 101% but each individual bookie would normally operate a book of between 105% and 110%

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you sure you worked it out correctly?

Football books are generally in the 105-110%, depending on the bet type,
    handicapps are generally at the 105% end, with the matches outright closer to 100%

I had a look at the UEFA Cup. its a 108% book on Paddy power

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Innocent question, when I signed up to betdaq as an ordinary joe soap, I had to do the usually anti money laundering stuff and confirm that I was not a bookmaker. I assumed that the latter part was on the basis that bookmakers were strictly barred? although a glance at the sums of money and exchanges per event clearly shows it is saturated with bookies.
    As I understand it the declaration is for tax reasons - as we know gambling winnings for you or me are tax-free as we are just punters. If however we are licensed bookmakers then any profits we make on the exchanges are liable to tax.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you sure you worked it out correctly?

Football books are generally in the 105-110%, depending on the bet type,
    handicapps are generally at the 105% end, with the matches outright closer to 100%

I had a look at the UEFA Cup. its a 108% book on Paddy power

the likes of betfair's book for the CL Final is just below 101%

PP have 110% book. how do the exchanges make any edge with that small a margin?

the likes of betfair's book for the CL Final is just below 101%

PP have 110% book. how do the exchanges make any edge with that small a margin?

You misunderstand the concept of exchanges, I think.
    They don't make money on the %overround, they take a commision (2-5%)from each winning bet. So if the book is 80% or 140% it doesn't make any direct difference to them.
    Its the exchange punters who have the problem of trying to make a profit within the confines of a 99-101 lay-back book (+ commission).

You misunderstand the concept of exchanges, I think.
    They don't make money on the %overround, they take a commision (2-5%)from each winning bet. So if the book is 80% or 140% it doesn't make any direct difference to them.
    Its the exchange punters who have the problem of trying to make a profit within the confines of a 99-101 lay-back book (+ commission).

thanks for the informative reply. While I understand that the exchange makes it's money on commissions, is it not feasable for someone laying all in a football match to expect to achieve something greater than a 101% book ?

is it not feasable for someone laying all in a football match to expect to achieve something greater than a 101% book ?

Unfortunately not.
    Lets say I think TeamA should be 5/1.
    So I put up 5.5 on Betfair (9/2) to give myself a margin.
    10 minutes later someone else will put up 5.6.
    Then some gob****e will put up £10 at 5.8 and someone else will put up £2 at 5.9.
    So on almost every decent market you end up with the lay side at 99% and the backing side at 101% (though the real money will often be around the 103% mark (and 97% on lay side).

Unfortunately not.
    Lets say I think TeamA should be 5/1.
    So I put up 5.5 on Betfair (9/2) to give myself a margin.
    10 minutes later someone else will put up 5.6.
    Then some gob****e will put up £10 at 5.8 and someone else will put up £2 at 5.9.
    So on almost every decent market you end up with the lay side at 99% and the backing side at 101% (though the real money will often be around the 103% mark (and 97% on lay side).

thanks again, you know your stuff. sounds like i have a better chance backing all at the better odds on offer than trying to lay them all ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

The best way to understand betfair is like this...

Think of two guys sitting at a bar watching a football match. One guy thinks Chelsea will win, the other thinks United will win. They decide that they want to have a bet.

When they agree the odds, the barman holds the money until the match is over. Afterwards, the barman takes a small cut from the winner for his trouble.

Betfair is like the barman in the above story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

wb wrote: »
    The best way to understand betfair is like this...

Think of two guys sitting at a bar watching a football match. One guy thinks Chelsea will win, the other thinks United will win. They decide that they want to have a bet.

When they agree the odds, the barman holds the money until the match is over. Afterwards, the barman takes a small cut from the winner for his trouble.

Betfair is like the barman in the above story.

Nice explanation.

Advertisement