Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DVD ripping Legal?

• 29-04-2008 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

*edit**
    Ok my sister has asked if i can make a copy of her wedding dvd. While i'm not sure of the legal issues i figured because it is her wedding dvd, She owns it and also because it is her in it there shouldn't be an issue. Do i need to Ask the production company permission first? The copy is for personal use not for mass distribution ie; not for sale shown in a public place.

I searched boards but couldn't find anything relevant.

Any advice is appreciated
    I am not looking for actual legal advice to go against charters (forgot to read before hand) just a 'rough idea' of where i stand.. (sorry mods)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The way it works in other countries, and it may be similar here, is that a work like this is a commissioned work and thus the copyright belongs to your sister and her husband, not to the company who shot the video.

That said, I am not a lawyer and could yet be told that I am wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Just one more thing... I cant fully remember but i thought i saw during the dvd a 'copyright' for the production team though i'm not sure. Thanks for the advice. Will bear it in mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

There is no such thing as a copyright for wedding dvd's. Take one look at ebay and see all the pirate dvd's being sold, I reported one seller to the lawyer of a certain tv series a month back and he couldn't stop them. I am not saying that you can sell priate dvd on ebay I am just saying how hard it is to stop them selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Sam Kade wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a copyright for wedding dvd's. Take one look at ebay and see all the pirate dvd's being sold.

but it wouldn't be piracey because nobody is making a loss of earnings etc off it.
    Also it won't be sold, merely used for private use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

congo_90 wrote: »
    but it wouldn't be piracey because nobody is making a loss of earnings etc off it.
    Also it won't be sold, merely used for private use.

The situation is exactly the same as the other thread regarding CDs - there's no exception for private copying. The fact that there's no commercial sale does not affect the queston of infringement, though it has a bearing on the penalties (piracy on a commercial scale is a criminal offence as well as a civil matter of infringement).

Just to correct two points made above:
    Sam Kade wrote:
    There is no such thing as a copyright for wedding dvd's.
    While it may be true that it can be difficult to enforce copyright against sellers on eBay, there most definitely is copyright for wedding DVDs - the film is a copyright work, and the sound recording is another copyright work. Copying the DVD will infringe both rights unless you have the permission of the copyright holders ... which leads on to:
    The way it works in other countries, and it may be similar here, is that a work like this is a commissioned work and thus the copyright belongs to your sister and her husband, not to the company who shot the video.
    As reasonable as this sounds, it's not the case in Ireland. The owners of the copyright in a film are the producer and director jointly, and the owner of copyright in the sound recording is the producer of the recording. (For a wedding DVD the same person may have done all three jobs). Irish law grants no rights to the commissioner. Unless there is an agreement that the copyright is assigned to the happy couple, it unfortunately isn't and they have to get permission (strictly speaking) to make a copy.

Incidentally, as anyone who's tried to get extra negatives of their professional wedding photos may know, this was always the same for wedding photos. You paid a commission to the photographer, and were given an album at an agreed cost, but the photographer kept the negatives and most would not give hand them over under any circumstances, simply so they could keep control of the right to print copies (at a premium pricec, of course). In recent years, recognising the ease of scanning, digitizing and reprinting, some photographers are allowing you to buy the copyright and get the original digital files on CD to print as many times as you like. But unless they do agree to assign copyright, they own it despite having been commissioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It depends on the nature of the copyright. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but the DVD may not have to say, "This copyright is for private use only....etc" for such a stipulation to be implied. That is, the couple are allowed to view and display the DVD privately. They are also permitted (by law) to make a copy (in any format) for private display, provided that they copy is destroyed soon afterwards.
    Theoretically you could argue that this includes making a copy to lend to friends for a day or two. Making a copy for permanent distribution to friends/family however would be essentially republishing the works without the copyright holders' consent, which is a breach of copyright.

Chances are the company gave them a price on "The video will cost X and subsequent copies of the video will cost Y".

Pines wrote: »

While it may be true that it can be difficult to enforce copyright against sellers on eBay, there most definitely is copyright for wedding DVDs - the film is a copyright work, and the sound recording is another copyright work. Copying the DVD will infringe both rights unless you have the permission of the copyright holders ... which leads on to:
    It's legal to copy any dvd for your own use. eg if you copied a dvd you bought. It's when you sell them for a profit that it becomes illegal. Why would you want to sell a copied dvd of your wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Why would you want to sell a copied dvd of your wedding?
    Irrelevant - it is that the person who would sell DVD copies - the photographer / cameraman is losing out on the oppurtunity of a sale.

Victor wrote: »
    Irrelevant - it is that the person who would sell DVD copies - the photographer / cameraman is losing out on the oppurtunity of a sale.
    So if you sold copies of your wedding (why you would this I don't know) the cameraman can sue you. Isn't that what I said that it becomes illegal when you start selling them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Even copying and giving them away would be breaching copyright.

Two scenarios.
    * Wedding A. Couple buy album and get a complimentary DVD. €2,000.
    * Wedding B. Couple buy album and get a complimentary DVD and 50 DVDs for friends and family. €2,500.

If Couple A breach copyright and knock off their own DVDs, they are doing the copyright holder out of €500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

Victor wrote: »
    Even copying and giving them away would be breaching copyright.

Two scenarios.
    * Wedding A. Couple buy album and get a complimentary DVD. €2,000.
    * Wedding B. Couple buy album and get a complimentary DVD and 50 DVDs for friends and family. €2,500.

If Couple A breach copyright and knock off their own DVDs, they are doing the copyright holder out of €500.

It's simpler than that: just copying the DVD is a breach of copyright. Whether you subsequently give the copies away for free, sell them, throw them down on the fire or bury them in a time capsule is irrelevant to the question of copyright infringement. Infringement has taken place at the moment of unauthorised reproduction.

The question of lost sales is relevant to the evaluation of damages, but not to the pure question of liability for copyright infringement.

If there was a requirement for the copyright owner to be "out of pocket" in some sense, then a copyright owner who always distributed his product for free would have no recourse to unauthorised copying, but of course he does. If I give my music/film away for free I can still take action against you for copying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Pines wrote: »
    If I give my music/film away for free I can still take action against you for copying it.
    or any dvd for that matter.

I wonder ( to myself) if watching a movie stream (on a website) on divx is an offence if you later realise the movies is just out in extravision or the cinema.

I wonder would it be seperate to downloading and copying the pirate copy. From my understanding it is not an offence although it proabably should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pirelli wrote: »
    I wonder would it be seperate to downloading
    No, as to view it, you download it. You may only be keeping the content for a short while, but you're still downloading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bd85

It's a sign of the times when somebody goes looking for a legal opinion when their sister asks them for a copy of her wedding video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Be that as it may, its a good question and good to see that awareness of copyright is finally starting to penetrate.

Advertisement