Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Chorus NTL modem/ router mess!

• 29-04-2008 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

hi folks

hoping you can help me out, sorry if this thread has been done already, maybe you could just point me in the right direction if it has.

I have chorus/ntl bb. I got their modem but not the wireless router cause I thought I'd manage it myself with a belkin adsl wireless router I have. the belkin will get me online if I connect it to the modem but I can netwrk two machines as they end up with ip's in different subnets for some reason.

I've now bought a linksys WRT54G as I'd read this was made for the job. Now when I connect this to the modem, the interent light on the router goes green. the router goves me an IP but I've no internet.?

When I'm online with the modem(or belkin)
    my IP is for exaple 89.101.178.156
    default gateway 89.101.178.1
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0

What settings do I need to set in the Linksys to get me going? Do I leave the connection type as DHCP? It's not PPoE I use is it seeing as its cable?

Extra info
    When I get online with the belikin, the belkin just passes the 89.*.*.* IP onto my laptop so it just seems to pass on whatever the modem is giving it. I never suceeded in assigning that ip to the router and setting up my 192. network beyond that.

This is a pain in the a$$! hope you can help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Leave the Linksys as DHCP - should just pick up the public (89.xxx.xxx.xxx) IP address from the NTL modem, and then assign any PCs you connect to the Linksys a 192.168.xxx.xxx address. As you say, PPPoE is not for cable services, it's used for ADSL broadband connections over phone lines.

What IP address is the Linksys giving you when you have no internet?
    And can you log into the Linksys, and see what IP address it is getting on the WAN port (from the NTL modem)?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

Hi Kensington

thanks for your reply.I got it sorted this morning. What I was missing was the DNS servers. Once I put them in I got online with both pcs so I is happy.

thanks muchly!

Advertisement