Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tbh, i'm not that impressed - GTA IV

• 29-04-2008 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Some points that I am annoyed about...

1. Screen to dark to see where I'm driving, sometimes during the day. Driving at high speed always results in a crash because I cannot see oncoming cars in time.

2. Cornering just doesn't work at well as you would like. You use the handbrake you end up doing a 180. You use normal break, the car is almost stopped completely.

3. With all the controls its hard to remember in some cases what controls what, and soon you making a phonecall.

4. Not sure if I'm shooting a cop or a pedestrian, too dark to tell.

Discuss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Lighten your television screen maybe? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

The lighting does affect me at times, there was one point where I had to climb a flight of stairs behind a cabarat club and couldn't see where I was going at all, couldn't see Niko, couldn't see the stairs, couldn't see the target, pitch black, and it didn't get much better as I moved around.

I think the driving aspect just requires practice, maybe not, but I'd at least wait until you get all islands unlocked and have access to cars with better handling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

o1s1n wrote: »

Yah, but GTA SA runs fine, infact all my games are perfect for brightness, just GTA IV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

had the same problems as you, controls arent too big a issue tbh pretty good button layout for the amount of things you can do.
    To start off the screen is really really dark and you cant see anything, just push (On the ps3) start - then goto display - higher up your contrast
    worked a treat for me :D

Nothing to do with brightness just higher the contrast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

o1s1n wrote: »

Intelligent input there. :rolleyes:

I have noticed it is very dark too. Quite annoying tbh. Very grainy, dark style graphics. If it wasn't for the improved physics and hd videos, the game looks like san andreas almost.

But GTA never had good graphics (cept maybe for gta3, wow factor 3d game!)

But single player is addictive, and multiplayer is simply hilarious and thats what is important. The darkness is a real annoyance though

• Advertisement

I've borrowed a few cars, ie Mercedes CL AMG, and handles good. Hard to judge cornering in general though :(

Intelligent input there. :rolleyes:

I have noticed it is very dark too. Quite annoying tbh. Very grainy, dark style graphics. If it wasn't for the improved physics and hd videos, the game looks like san andreas almost.

But GTA never had good graphics (cept maybe for gta3, wow factor 3d game!)

But single player is addictive, and multiplayer is simply hilarious and thats what is important. The darkness is a real annoyance though

Raise the contrast from the games menu :rolleyes:

still dark coloured but atleast you can see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

123 wrote: »
    still dark coloured but atleast you can see
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

A few things bugging me about it too , I really miss being able to look to the left and right when driving shooting form the car is now much more of a pain when u have to swing the camera around with the stick.

No rampages either from what i can see, i saw hidden packages mentioned on the stats list too but have yet to find a single one :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Try this

Worked for me on my ps3 displaying on a 720p screen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I'm very impressed to be honest, but I knew the lack of countryside would be a downfall. Not enough open roads for my liking.

I love the Niko charachter.

I do agree with you about the darkness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

alls im gonna say is that after 3 hours of playing the handling on the cars are ****e IMHO

forgot to say set saturation at 85% and upped brightness by about 10% from default
    Car handling isn't that great tbh but can be fun when your swing around wildy running over the peds :D
    Awful for chasing people though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

As you get better cars, the handling drastically improves. I'm finding the screen to be annoyingly dark too. During the day its fine but at night its very very hard to see. Its almost as if everything is the same color.

I also find the mini map hard to read but then again, I have crap eyesight.

Having said that, Im loving the rest of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

calex71 wrote: »
    , i saw hidden packages mentioned on the stats list too but have yet to find a single one :confused:

There are collectibles. You just need to
    go to Hapiness Island
    to unlock them.

As for the OP's points, I'm really not finding the graphics dark, I think they're perfect, and I think the car handling and general controls issues will just sort themselves out with practice. I found cornering really tricky at the start, and car chases were a nightmare cos I kept crashing due to stupid mistakes. Not so much now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Driving is not too much of an issue for me. Wasn't expecting great car physics, they never are in GTA games IMO.Was dreading it after two weeks of Forza 2. As above I've "acquired" a few sporty looking numbers that are ok in the handling department.
    Brightness is an issue at times. The mission were you have to climb a series of ladders on a building site was too dark to even see the ladders.
    Haven't tweaked in games contrast yet,just the TV for a few minutes.

Main thing....I'm loving it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I think the cars handle more realistically, which can be either seen as a good or bad thing. You realistically wouldnt take a 45' corner at 90mph! It makes for an intresting learning curve if nothing else. Some handle horribly though, motorbikes, especially.

I agree about the lighting - the amount of times I've had to change the brightness and contrast. It's either too dark to see walls etc., or too bright to see your phone!

The lack of pushbikes, gyms, body-upgrades, turf-wars, desert style areas etc so far, are a bit disappointing, though.

Then again, I did find a bloke doing thai-chi on a beach tonight, watched Ricky Gervais on the telly, got chased about four blocks by a bloke I tried to rob - who was heavily armed, I've been a victim of road rage, prank fonecalled the paramedics and drove into the sea drunk. All in all, a good day. I also shot a pigeon and was told "99 flying rats remain!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

I have difficulty with lighting when during the (real life) day with glare on the TV. Otherwise, it's okay. The darkness adds a lot to the city's aesthetic in my opinion.

The driving is certainly different from previous titles, but to a certain extent the old turn mechanics made earlier driving extremely easy. This game took a turn toward realism and toward greater consequences for actions. As much as I liked burning through the streets of Vice City without fearing the results, the new approach adds to this very distinct contribution to the series. At first I was sceptical, but I've really taken to the trigger button control system and gotten used to the driving mechanics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I have a 360, and have to say GTA IV is a disappointment for me.

Gameplay wise it seems exactly like the last one, drive here, follow these red dots etc. I hate the way you have to redo stuff when you fail, the save system is awful.

The missions seem to require no thought or planning, just basically your standard console nonsense - learn them and repeat until you get them right. What I'm getting at is they don't seem to need any strategy.

The driving ones seem to have a high degree of randomness, the timings are quite tight (for example the later LJ ones) basically learn the route, floor it and if you get bad traffic spawn then restart.

The combat cover system is not great, lots of missions the enemies seem to be spawned right on top of you and I can't do anything with the melee system at all.

The city seems like a sham, it's lovely but there doesn't seem to be any need to explore it or go off the missions. So far I've 'found' 2 pigeons and 2 molotovs. It looks so real but scratch the surface and it feels like it's cardboard cutouts. Other games for me have made large scale worlds and lands come alive much better.

The traffic spawn system still seems very artificial, you start with cars around you but then the spawn seems to die off.

Not really impressed by the internet and the mobile phone either.

On the other side the story is great, and lots of the gameplay is fun (when it's not frustrating me - but we've seen it all before in previous GTAs and other games).

I accept that I'm not a huge console gamer, and have zero interest in the MP side of things, so my impressions aren't that representative - so flame away! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I'm having tha same problems with the brightness and handling!

whats worse, when I set it to be more than 3/4 the way up on contrast my ps3 locks up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Was playin the 360 version over the weekend and the color was awful. Just made a few adjustments in display settings and it was fine.

I got my PS3 version today and the display is perfect, no tweaking, no complaints.

I love the car handling. Its a bitch at the start but when u get used if it its great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I was having all of the same problems that omst people have mentioned for the first while I was playing the game. Like someone else said, the darkness can be taken care of easily in the settings screen when you pause, and although the controls and driving are a pain in the ass to get used to, I reckon they will just be a matter of practice.

The one thing that I don't like is the way you can just lose the cops so easily. It's handy for missions, but I used to love tearing around for ages while being tailed by the cops and going through road-blocks and all that kinda stuff, but now long-term car chases don't seem to be as easy to get going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

no darkness problems here, adjusted brightness and contrast in game, using it on a standard non hd tv - the crt type (sony trinitron 21"), i didnt need to change any tv settings and its working like a charm, even the dark parts like behind the cabaret place, admitedly tehy are dark, but not so dark that you cant find your way up the stairs with ease.

maybe its just me, but i havent had a problem with it yet.

Long term car chases seem to be a thing of the past. Nothing better than burning along with a 5 star wanted level in SA, dont think we'll see this in IV.

Actually, I prefer SA.

orestes wrote: »
    I was having all of the same problems that omst people have mentioned for the first while I was playing the game. Like someone else said, the darkness can be taken care of easily in the settings screen when you pause, and although the controls and driving are a pain in the ass to get used to, I reckon they will just be a matter of practice.

The one thing that I don't like is the way you can just lose the cops so easily. It's handy for missions, but I used to love tearing around for ages while being tailed by the cops and going through road-blocks and all that kinda stuff, but now long-term car chases don't seem to be as easy to get going

try getting ur star rating beyond four, no way i lost em when it hit 5 dead as a dodo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

For me the radio is the biggest let down, in Vice City and SA it was class, I would just drive around listening to it, not so with 4, I mainly just turn it off.

Overall though so far for me GTA4 is Saints Row with a far better story, presentation, and a bit more depth.

I have both the PS3 and 360 versions and I don't see the lighting issues that others are having at all but for me the PS3 version is very blured and the 360 is alot sharper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

For me the radio is the biggest let down, in Vice City and SA it was class, I would just drive around listening to it, not so with 4, I mainly just turn it off.

Overall though so far for me GTA4 is Saints Row with a far better story, presentation, and a bit more depth.

I have both the PS3 and 360 versions and I don't see the lighting issues that others are having at all but for me the PS3 version is very blured and the 360 is alot sharper.

Ive the 360 version. Darkness was a problem untill i messed round with the settings. Have to agree though the Radio is REALLY disapointing in my oppinion. Ive found myself trying to listen to it but not liking anything. Smashing Pumpkins is the only song I like on it.

The radio compared to Vice City and San Andreas its a let down. Before opening them games I knew alot of the tracks. Looking at this one I hardly know any.

Enjoying the game so far but havent really got time to give it a good bash yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Just because you don't recognise the songs on the radio, doesn't mean they don't have the potential to be good. Personally I'm enjoying most of the stations and feel the songs are well suited to the game. The fact that many of them are unknown songs doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Brightness was a problem for me too, but a quick dip into the options screen was enough to sort this out. It now looks very bright during the daytime but I'm not experiencing any of the issues mentioned above such as being unable to see my phone. I reckon these are dependant on TV settings rather than game settings.

At first I found the car handling to be extremely heavy and found it difficult not to plough into 5 pedestrians at every corner, but then I realised that I was trying to speed around corners at around 60mph and have simply adjusted to the new (more realistic) mechanics. Some of the sportier models handle very smoothly though.

For everyone that's complaining about certain issues, I say give it a few days of playing to get used to it. First impressions aren't always accurate when a series makes such a drastic leap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭rizzla

I'm having the darkness issues too. I've started to do main missions during the daytime and social activites at night time.

Also, as for the cars and driving, I found pumping the brakes before cornering helps alot.

Music bugs me too. Just can't get into much of the tracks.

As for the story, it started off weak I thought but it's gradually uilding and sucking me in.

Advertisement