Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tbh, i'm not that impressed - GTA IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    I also shot a pigeon and was told "99 flying rats remain!"

That explains why a pigeon in a tree was glowing red. Didn't have a gun at the time. Tried jumping up towards it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It is very hard to see where you're going at night with no lights around, I guess that's realistic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

That explains why a pigeon in a tree was glowing red. Didn't have a gun at the time. Tried jumping up towards it.:D
    Ha, I did the same, I was like "wtf there's a glowing bird up there".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

One of the lads in the house picked it up on the PS3. Sound and graphics are good and it seems like an improvement over San Andreas. I played it for less than 5 minutes, got bored and went back to playing my guitar :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭W1llz0rz

Winters wrote: »
    Hi.

As you might notice beneath your fingers there is a full keyboard which is filled with all the letters of the alphabet and also other handy characters which can be used for grammar and punctuation. You should look into using this to its fullest capacity for the pleasure of all of those who try and read posts on boards using the English language, which you do not seem to be using.

You know people like you are starting to be WAY more annoying than the people who use text speak. So what, get over it, it happens so tough ****. Deal with it, unless you have some masterplan to eventually tell EVERYONE on the internet who talks like that to stop. It's been around for the last 5-10 years and it's definately not going to stop anytime soon so all you people who waste space on forums complaining about these people just get over it...... please.

As brightness issues in the game go, I noticed that right away too. I simply went into the display settings in the game and upped the brightness and contrast a little and now its perfect. Obviously whoever set the default is a bit of an idiot. :)

• Advertisement

I suffered from the darkness problem at the start, but a little tweaking of the games options and i was ok there.

I dont know whats wrong for me to be honest. I've been playing for about 9 hours now, and i havent really done any missions. Just been going around the city and robbing cars and killing people, but its just not that much fun.

Whilst its all very GTA, it just doesnt appeal to me as much as i thought it would. I'm hoping i can put it on tomorrow and be really sucked into it. There seems to be a lack of vehicles. Aside from the themed stuff like bin lorries and airport themed taxis, i keep seeing the same jeeps and cars over and over.

The cover system is a good addition and makes shooting more fun and strategic.

I think the 10/10 reviews were unfair. I wouldn't give this a 10. Of course I havent played the whole thing yet, and have only had it for a day, but my initial reaction and thought would be a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Night time is incredibly dark, and most of the surrounding areas are just too gloomy or something. day light is good and clear, however.

Seems to be just GTA III with a mix of some of SA's features, but running on better graphics.

Its been ok to play thus far, but im getting bored. With III, VC and SA, i would literally play until i needed to sleep. This time around its just not the same. The impossible-to-escape-from police force dont make it much fun either. I enjoyed a big car chase and gun fight in SA, but here its a case of being shot dead as you open a car door.

GTA IV is like a "what would GTA be like if it were real" kinda idea, i think.

Hopefully i'll feel better about it tomorrow, because as of right now, im not hugely impressed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

W1llz0rz wrote: »
    You know people like you are starting to be WAY more annoying than the people who use text speak. So what, get over it, it happens so tough ****. Deal with it, unless you have some masterplan to eventually tell EVERYONE on the internet who talks like that to stop. It's been around for the last 5-10 years and it's definately not going to stop anytime soon so all you people who waste space on forums complaining about these people just get over it...... please.

but it's not going to happen here. If you want to advertise your stupidity to the wider world through txt spk go right ahead, but not here.

never here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

As said above it does take a while to get used to this new style of GTA when you're so used to the GTA III/VC/SA style. Give it a few hours (until you get the "fed the fish" achievement) and things really start to get going and the game digs its claws into you...
    Can't wait to get home and play it some more, this is going to be a long day in work!

can't figure out how they managed to cock up the default brightness levels so much though. Played for a couple of hours before I thought of going into the display options to sort out the darkness (my monitor is usually fairly bright, and I'd already tried cranking that up high...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

W1llz0rz wrote: »
    Seriously, text speak is the language of Satan!

Anyway back on the game. Im not impressed really. Saying that I only played about 2 and a half hours. The lighting is crap, the radio stations are crap and having to listen to Niko's stupid accent is crap!
    I hope the next GTA does a return to vice city and be set in the 80's:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Anyone else have sound issues on the 360? With any other game, turning my TV up to 12 is good enough to hear whats going on. On this game, I have to turn it up to 18 (and its at full volume internally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Spent a good 12 hour day at it yesterday.....
    The car handling gets better the less you use your handbrake, just like real life!
    The lighting is a little on the dark side, but I haven't come to a point where I can't see whats going on yet, but I was playing on a 42" flatscreen, with contrast up full and brightness at 75% and colour at 80%
    As for the radio stations, well they are growing on me, slowly, was a little disappointed initially, but San Andreas was a very hard act to follow to be fair.
    Gameplay is good, Plot is deep and twisted, Shooting has improved yet again on San Andreas, Motorbikes are a ****ing death wish, just like real life.... Avoiding the underwater world was a good move from San Andreas, it was just too much to have to go collecting oysters.....
    My biggest concern is that I'm 19.75% complete after day 1, This does not bode well compared to the months of fun I knocked out of San Andreas, But time will tell. so far its getting 8 out of 10.....:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I've just read that there are no planes in GTA 4 to fly only helicopters which to be quite frank sucks balls :(:(:(

this game is really becoming a let down for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I like it. I'm not a massive game geek, but I like what I like and I've always been a fan of the GTA series.
    Screen was dark but a fidddle with a couple of settings and its all sorted. I have to say that I like the fact that the cops are easier to lose. SA and VC was too tough to loose the cops and i nearly always ended up wasted or busted.

BTW anyone notice that when you get wasted you manage to keep your guns after the hospital?

Handling was a BEATCH to get the hang of, but I'm getting better at it slowly but surely. It definitely adds another aspect or realism to the game. I fell over laughing when I crashed into something and went flying out of the windscreen (more than once). Maybe they should have given Nikko the option to wear his seat belt.

Roll on 4, I get to play it again..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

miju wrote: »
    I've just read that there are no planes in GTA 4 to fly only helicopters which to be quite frank sucks balls :(:(:(

this game is really becoming a let down for me :(
    Was I playing you in multiplayer last night miju? Was playing someone called kdac (who I thought might be KdjaC).

As for the game, I quite enjoyed it but I'd a few pints on me so I just played one mission on single player and then was up til 3am playing 'Free Mode' on Multiplayer.

No sound or brightness issues on my 360 (that I noticed anyways).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I have no problems with it at all. Granted i've only played it for a few hours Monday evening and last night. I've the 360 version and i'm playing it on a CRT screen and i've no issue with darkness or contrast whether it's day or night.

As for the handling corners i just hit the brake/reverse button followed quickly by the handbrake and swing the camera around to the direction i'm turning. Requires a bit of practice but i found hitting the brake first slows the car down enough to allow you to handbrake into a corner without spinning around out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

American cars don't do corners in real life so from reading this thread the handling sounds very realisitic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Can't believe people are complaining about the darkness when you can tweak them just the way you want in the options.

I'm a little dissapointed that it seems to be the same game as previous GTA's in a new city. Really enjoying it though, no game can replace the GTA experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Wow i dont have any trouble with the cars, i do miss bein able to look from side to side on the vehicles. Corners are fine! i tend to use handbreak and normal break at the same time.I think its one of the best things about it.

When i first switched it on the sun was blaring in the window at home and it did seem kind of dark. When i put on the artificial light it was perfecto.The first island seems to be very crampt at first but once you learn the layout its fantastic.

I think i can se why people are a little dissapointed,the game was hyped so much and we were all told what you can do in it but the first few hours of the game dont offer instant access to all these things - im 4 hrs in and havent seen an internet cafe yet!

Plus when people are used to SA and having all the cheats and doing rampages and flying jets its hard to settle back into a story.

The darkness thing i dont realy get though,the opening section of the game was the darkeset everything else looks amazing,.i cant get my head around how good the cut scenes are !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

miju wrote: »

Wow, that sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

RAIN wrote: »
    but the first few hours of the game dont offer instant access to all these things - im 4 hrs in and havent seen an internet cafe yet!

You'd be swamped with stuff if everything was given to you at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I reckon its a case of hanging on until later missions when it gets much more interesting (the same as SA).

I expect its so easy in the first few missions to aid both previous GTA'ers in using the new controls and also to teach new GTA'ers the whole setup (there are a good few people who have just turned 18 and have never before played a GTA game you know :) )

Brightness issue - Out of the box is terrible but a bit of tweaking makes it spot on. This should not be an issue for anyone.

Car handling - Brutal in some cars, way better in others. Same for motorbikes. SA's car physics wrecked my head at the start of that game as well, but you got used to it.

Multiplayer - The potential for massive fun here. Not enough time played on it yet, but Clan matches could be legendary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I love the new driving. It's more complex and deeper than the old style, and it takes a bit of practice before you're flying around corners, but when you are it's very rewarding. You can't just rely on the handbrake, you need to use the front brakes too to slow you before using the handbrake to turn (don't think I'd ever used front brakes in a GTA game before). And it's a huge amount of fun to slide a powerfull rear wheel drive car around a corner, then floor it and fishtail up in the road. Weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds is much easier aswell, and in particular there isn't the same amount of random AI lane changes.

Overall I think it makes the cop chases much better too, high speed traffic weaving combined with tenser more deliberate cornering. I prefer the enhanced lethality of the cops too, tbh I was kinda bored of strolling around calmly while picking off hundreds of cops, no real challenge. it's much more exciting when you crash to have to pick off the nearby ones quickly and then leg it before their backup arrives.

GTA has grown up, and IMHO that's a good thing.

Oh, I do miss planes though, but the annhialator (sp?) is good fun, not as much as an apache, but not bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

One was perched on a pole thing at eye level, so I tried to knife it in it's face but it didnt work. Thats the only thing I tried in the game that has disappointed me so far though.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    You'd be swamped with stuff if everything was given to you at the start.

I agree Completly.

the level of hype was unantural so slow start of the story was always going to quinch peoples excitment a little... thankfully the story DOES kick in big time.

But when your used to flying around a full State on a jet pack people probably feel like thats what they want immediatly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Markvtos

I had a problem with the darkness too, but just turning up the contrast in the options sorts this out... a bit. The game is not as colourfull as before, everything is eiter drab, or a slightly darker shade of drab.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Some of the other areas are more colourfull when you get to them. I haven't managed to survive long enough in any of them to see much, but they are more colourfull :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Dispatch tells me there is a text speaker in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The graphics, on the PS3 version at least, are not that impressive, particularly when placed beside something like Burnout Paradise. I also hate the haze/distance blur effect they use that has me squinting at the screen to try and see anything in the distance.

Seemingly the game on runs at 630P on the PS3 for some bizarre reason (isn't the PS3 graphics chips supposed to be gazillion times more powerful as the Xbox 360, Sony?) and this is noticeable, at least on my TV. I also had a weird experience where the resolution feel to what I imagine was 480p and the game looked like it was on the Wii, but once I restarted it was fine again.

Of course graphics don't make or break a game, and the game itself, including the story, is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

I don’t know what it is, I cant put my finger on why, but as much as I don’t want to say this,gta4 isn’t really doing it for me.

nicko im finding it very hard to warm.
    He just reminds me to much of the many Russians that live near me. :)

What really annoys me about this game it feels a lot like saints row!!!

But im really hoping that I can get over the teething problems

Advertisement