Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tbh, i'm not that impressed - GTA IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i think the dissapointment is how just the little tony things, are causing annoyance.

my personal gripes is the lag online, and i dont usually lag on any game, but it feels like pes8 and rainbow, a developer error..

if theres one thing they should have had was a big time customisation of your characters clothes...like look online, theres like 4-5 different outfits, bent

but you want to have you character looking the way you want, and you cant do that.

the game is amazing, this is nit picking, the game is absolutely amazing and fully deserves the amount of credit and fledgin reviews it gets.

but for them to miss tiny little things, its annoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

if theres one thing they should have had was a big time customisation of your characters clothes...like look online, theres like 4-5 different outfits, bent.

You unlock clothes as you rank up. I'd gather that it's not a totally mind blowing amount of choice at the highest level, but you do get to dress according to your rank.

Sounds like you're complaining before you've even gotten into the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Really have gotten into the game now, still get distracted the odd time with the blurriness, and it does seem that depending on the time of day and weather conditions, how good the game looks.

However, the one thing that is really peeving me now is the online. I have no lagging issues (on a PS3) and I have had some excellent sessions. But, it really annoys me that if you get that 'one or more players has disconnected' message, it lumps you back into single player, and you have to go through the whole rigmarole of getting into online again. Maybe I am doing something wrong? But it seems terribly inefficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

indough wrote: »
    not really sure what peoples gripes are with the soundtrack, the stations represent an eclectic mix of genres, all featuring the top names within those particular genres, for example dj premier has his own show, roy ayers, there's a marvin gaye song on there too... and i knew many of the songs as they came on...

I have to agree....the radio stations in any GTA are tasked with setting an atmosphere for the city and time period they're set in...it's easy to see why VC's stations would be so popular since a lot of players would have childhood memories of the 80's and that music. The nostalgia value was just as important a factor in players liking it.

The same can be said to a lesser extent of SA, although a lot of people didn't like the west coast 90's hip hop vibe that was going on, the 90's rock dance and country made up for that...again, players were familiar with a lot of the tunes and it worked. I love the SA tracks, but then I like rap and hip hop.

GTAIII soundtrack I always liked, more so because the tunes were actually put together for the game...and I get the exact same feeling from GTAIV's stations. In fact I think they tried to structure the stations in the same broad manner...
    This is noughties NYC...this is the type of music that's out there...there's no pint in people coming into threads whinging that the stations suck, just because; A) they don't recognise a lot of the tunes/artists or B) that's there's not enough, older or popular tracks on the stations.
    I've about 40 hours of gameplay behind me now and whilst there are certain tracks and even stations that annoy me, they still manage the task of immersing you in a virtual NYC, which is what they're there to do....many of the tunes are growers, unless you're completely closed-minded to new music/genres. Nothing like having the dancehall station blaring whilst just cruising through the back streets or having jazz playing as you zoom through "times square".
    I think some people need to get over their hang ups about rap, R'n'B or reggae and just treat the music as part of the atmoshere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

they have both Queen and Smashing Pumpkins on the soundtrack (and a whole station of Jazz) how can anyone complain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ive really grown to like the "Eins, Zwei, Drei ... Ziggy Ziggy Shake Shake" song as I have come to call it.

Which is actually called "Schwein"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My only gripe is the shops. Theres feck all. It would be cool to be stuck on a mission and just head into town and buy a new mobile/drugs/cancer sticks/cans/joolery!

If you want that crap you should go play second life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

^ Zing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

This game looks awesome , the whole thing is very realistic but the gameplay is boring, I have only been playing it since tuesday but i am already loosing interest, its very like the microsoft Saints Row, I have been a huge fan of GTA since GTA I on the amiga but apart from the upgraded graphics and the realistic feel the format is just the same. Please tell me it gets better. maybe playing online is the the best part of this version, I havnt tried this yet.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

To be honest my only complaint is how hard it is to get a hooker in this game!

Driving at night they are all over the place, especially around the docks and the top of the map around the strip club area...so I've heard.:D

Remember to get your money back after the deed is done.;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭penguinpoppers

Just finished the game and im gunna restart straight away. It was great while it lasted but I think I played it too much and it ended a bit too quickly. 9/10 loved it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭nige1982

have you finished everything all side missions etc, i am trying to play multiplayer and single player as i dont want to finish it so quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭penguinpoppers

nige1982 wrote: »
    have you finished everything all side missions etc, i am trying to play multiplayer and single player as i dont want to finish it so quick!

Im between 80%-90% and have all friends over 75% to get all their perks. Ive been stealing cars for Brucie and Stevie and doing some missions for Roman and Little Jacob.
    All thats left to do is tear through the city like a lunatic(which is brilliant) and make a start on the flying rats I suppose.
    :( Im sad its over....

I have been a huge fan of GTA since GTA I on the amiga

what what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im now officially bored of gta4

manged a week out of it which is probably the longest ive gotten out of a gta game before giving up on it

7/10 overall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

You could sell it before the GTA madness ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Well im about 33 hours in to it. I think its a great game....but theres always something.

The controls can be a little fiddly at times...especially getting cover.

Secondly... The soundtrack is the worst soundtrack in the series yet. Vice Citys was excellent and I knew alot of the songs on it.

San Andreas was excellent.The difference there was I didnt know many of the songs but came to love loads of songs. With Gta iv theres about 3 songs i like the rest are just forgettable noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Wompa1 wrote: »
    If you want that crap you should go play second life!

You can buy cans and fags in Second Life? Rly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    The dating/friends mechanic, can work at times, but other times when you are prowling through the mission and you start getting phonecalls its really bugging (also i really f*cking hate the 1st girlfriend, I will be hitting on the irish one the first chance I get) Its even worse when someone rings while you are being chased by cops and niko stops running...I usually get plowed by a police cruiser then...

Yeah this really got on my tits over the weekend.

I love the way you cant point out what you feel are the poorer points of a game without someway saying "What did you expect, its brilliant". Despite the majority of people saying yeah its a great game but A, B and C could be a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

what what?

for all you kids out there, GTA first saw the light of day as a top down driving game, it was great fun, rubish graphics but the firs game of its type that you could mow down inocent pedestrians like hari chrisna. I wouldn't mind playing on the PC does anyone know where I could get a download?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Is free... Get it here(along with GTA 2)

http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/gta.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/gta.html
    Free from the Rockstar games site

mrbig wrote: »
    for all you kids out there, GTA first saw the light of day as a top down driving game, it was great fun, rubish graphics but the firs game of its type that you could mow down inocent pedestrians like hari chrisna. I wouldn't mind playing on the PC does anyone know where I could get a download?:)

ok lets try this again

I have been a huge fan of GTA since GTA I on the amiga

The original Grand Theft Auto was developed in DOS, and then later ported to Microsoft Windows, Sony PlayStation, and Game Boy Color. The Game Boy Color version was technologically unabridged, which was quite a technical achievement due to the sheer size of the cities, converted tile-for-tile from the PC original, making them many times larger than most Game Boy Color game worlds were because of the handheld's limited hardware. To cater for the target younger generation, however, the game was heavily censored, with gore and swearing removed.

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_%28video_game%29

where is the amiga?

I played the original GTA on the PC, loved it, I was one of those weirdos who thought going 3d made the game lose a bit of its charm, so *old man* when did it show up for the Amiga?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

ok lets try this again

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_%28video_game%29

where is the amiga?

I played the original GTA on the PC, loved it, I was one of those weirdos who thought going 3d made the game lose a bit of its charm, so *old man* when did it show up for the Amiga?

I think he might be referring to Body Harvest, the game considered to be the daddy of GTA? Can't rememeber now what console it was on, but it definitely wasn't the Amiga.

body harvest was N64

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Ah memories of GTA1....

Spinning around with machine gun on constant fire fending off around 50 cops at a time :D:D

Good times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I dunno if this has been said before...

but for me, the game is too familiar. When GTA 3 came out, I played it for months. When Vice City came it out, I loved it but played it less then gta 3. And I played san andreas even less. But these were all great games.

I must admit, I finished gta 4 about 4 days ago and really have no desire to play sp anymore, thank god for the excellent mp. The game, at heart, is basically the same as the other previous games imo. And this is the problem, going on mad rampages isn't as fun as it was when you played gta1 or gta3.

There is nothing R* can really do about this, without changing the formula behind it, but then it wouldn't be a gta game. This was always gonna happen considering the amount of games in the series.

I still think this is one of the best games made to date, imagine if gta4 was your first gta game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭horsecrap

Some points that I am annoyed about...

1. Screen to dark to see where I'm driving, sometimes during the day. Driving at high speed always results in a crash because I cannot see oncoming cars in time.

2. Cornering just doesn't work at well as you would like. You use the handbrake you end up doing a 180. You use normal break, the car is almost stopped completely.

3. With all the controls its hard to remember in some cases what controls what, and soon you making a phonecall.

4. Not sure if I'm shooting a cop or a pedestrian, too dark to tell.

Discuss

if its to dark. pause the game, and go over to settings, cant think wat its under but ul find it. britness and contrast...put these up and it will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

horsecrap wrote: »
    if its to dark. pause the game, and go over to settings, cant think wat its under but ul find it. britness and contrast...put these up and it will be fine.

having said that, i can echo the complaints of darkness. now i just upgraded to a new tv and the problem's gone, but gta is still a very dark game. it's darker then killzone, which is sports an impressive palette of grey and black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

having said that, i can echo the complaints of darkness. now i just upgraded to a new tv and the problem's gone, but gta is still a very dark game. it's darker then killzone, which is sports an impressive palette of grey and black.

having played the game on 4 different tv's, all of different makes and one a HD, and i must admit I dont't think the game is dark at all, could it be your console settings?

Advertisement