Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with large home office network

Options
  • 30-04-2008 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

What do I need to get. I have a home office with about 16 ethernet based devices. I want to have them all connected to the same network. I was looking at the likes of this: Linksys Switch: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=349220

I could do with the 24 ports. I have a broadband connection in my office and I would like the devices to be able to access both the Internet and a local server in the office and I want a firewall that will block filter traffic trying to come in. For example I don't want any traffic outside the LAN (ie out on the Internet) heading for our internal server.

We're all running windows machines and have a LAMP (and file) server. We have intranet applications running on our LAMP server in the office which all windows machines in the office need access to. The server needs to be able to access the Internet for patch/security updates (but not the other way around). Apart from that it's simply printer, VOIP and heavy file sharing traffic after that. The windows machines just have 10/100MB NICS installed, so there is no point going Gigabit.

I am happy to spend up to about €150 for the right device. Definately no more than €200.

I would really appreciate your help with this stuff as it's taken us ages to get our existing infrastructure in place already.

On a side note, I would love to be able to learn how to judge and pick these devices myself without annoying you guys. Is there any sort of qualification I could go for that would equip me with the skills necessary to assess / purchase / configure and maintain my office infrastructure. I know with the likes of network security I could do all sorts of courses. But just even to be able to create networks and expand them, laying security as necessary with further study. The 'ol network here is starting to get big and in the near future we'll be taking it outside the house.

I remember people mentioning the likes of Cisco certs in the past, and the A+ exam, but I'm confused. What qualification would you suggest I go for so I can setup, configure and manage the above sort of network infrastructure.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

ve wrote: »
    What do I need to get. I have a home office with about 16 ethernet based devices. I want to have them all connected to the same network. I was looking at the likes of this: Linksys Switch: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=349220

I could do with the 24 ports. I have a broadband connection in my office and I would like the devices to be able to access both the Internet and a local server in the office and I want a firewall that will block filter traffic trying to come in. For example I don't want any traffic outside the LAN (ie out on the Internet) heading for our internal server.

We're all running windows machines and have a LAMP (and file) server. We have intranet applications running on our LAMP server in the office which all windows machines in the office need access to. The server needs to be able to access the Internet for patch/security updates (but not the other way around). Apart from that it's simply printer, VOIP and heavy file sharing traffic after that. The windows machines just have 10/100MB NICS installed, so there is no point going Gigabit.

I am happy to spend up to about €150 for the right device. Definately no more than €200.

I would really appreciate your help with this stuff as it's taken us ages to get our existing infrastructure in place already.

On a side note, I would love to be able to learn how to judge and pick these devices myself without annoying you guys. Is there any sort of qualification I could go for that would equip me with the skills necessary to assess / purchase / configure and maintain my office infrastructure. I know with the likes of network security I could do all sorts of courses. But just even to be able to create networks and expand them, laying security as necessary with further study. The 'ol network here is starting to get big and in the near future we'll be taking it outside the house.

I remember people mentioning the likes of Cisco certs in the past, and the A+ exam, but I'm confused. What qualification would you suggest I go for so I can setup, configure and manage the above sort of network infrastructure.

Many thanks
    It would be worth getting the Cisco 851 or for cheaper get the Linksys wrt54g.

Education-wise you should look at doing the CCENT. It is an intro exam to the CCNA i.e. you can get a CCNA qualification by sitting the CCENT (ICND1) followed by the CCNA exam (ICND2). The CCENT gives you a good overview of the technologies which might be enough for you.

Advertisement