Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mad? I'm pissed - NCT rant/rip off....

Options
  • 30-04-2008 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

so, my sis-in-law goes for the NCT today, in her 113k mile, 97, Corolla 1.3....

...and fails.

Why ? Valves. Tyre valves. You know, the ones you pump the tyre up with. I **** you not.

Official reason is that 'Vale (sic:rolleyes:) Stem Chafing against Valve Hole' Don't believe me ? See this:
    287216512_HiEHq-M.jpg

I take this as several things:
    1. Complete ignorance of vehicles, mechanics.........and common sense.
    2. A blatant attempt to extract a second fee from a girl......
    3. Proof that the NCT staff have no idea what they're doing.

For 1, lest it be obvious, this car was fitted with brand new TUBELESS tyres only a few days ago. This means the valves are PART OF THE WHEEL RIM, not passing through it. ERGO - there is no 'hole', and they cannot move. If they did, the wheel would deflate immediately. Actually, if the NCT report were true, this car would suffer immediate deflation of FOUR wheels. A world first, I'm sure.

pics for ye of the 'offenders'........what to do, now?:mad:

LOOK HERE for pics

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

This one particularly good:

287216563_mFnqU-M.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Take it back for a free visual recheck, they probably don't know what they are on about...

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Local Taxi in Drogheda told me his car was failed.....because his spare wheel was wrong size....it was a space saver :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Of course the valve passes through the wheel rim, how do you think the air gets into the tyre? The valves can be removed and replaced easily enough, any many tyre fitters will put in new ones when fitting a new tyre.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/glossary-tyre-terms?term=valve

Seems a bit harsh to fail them unless there is some visible damage to the valves which could make them likely to blow out suddenly. It's possible in theory but I've never heard of it happening.

From etyres website:

"A rubber tubeless valve will, over a period of time deteriorate. It is therefore recommended that whenever new tyres are fitted a new tubeless valve be fitted. Also whenever a tyre is removed from the rim (puncture repair etc) it is again recommended that a new valve be fitted. This is due to the fact that the base of the valve may be damaged during the removal of the tyre from the rim."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Mylow wrote: »
    Local Taxi in Drogheda told me his car was failed.....because his spare wheel was wrong size....it was a space saver :(
    In all fairness - he should have read the rules. The regulations require that a small public service vehicles (such as taxis) carry a full size spare wheel. To quote the NCT (SPSV) manual:

"A standard road legal spare wheel (for that vehicle type) with properly inflated tyre – space saver wheels/tyres are not acceptable."

That said, I do have a certain degree of sympathy as I don't think the taxi rules currently require a full size spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Pete67 wrote: »
    Of course the valve passes through the wheel rim, how do you think the air gets into the tyre? The valves can be removed and replaced easily enough, any many tyre fitters will put in new ones when fitting a new tyre.
    No, it doesn't. The valve stem is that part of the valve outside the rim. The base of the valve is that which sits in the hole, and is a mechanical, interference fit. That's how it stays airtight. The report also erroneously states chafing caused by that hole. That is factually incorrect, and the pictures prove it.
    Seems a bit harsh to fail them unless there is some visible damage to the valves which could make them likely to blow out suddenly.
    Indeed, and there is no evidence of any of this on the 4 wheels in question.
    "A rubber tubeless valve will, over a period of time deteriorate. It is therefore recommended that whenever new tyres are fitted a new tubeless valve be fitted. Also whenever a tyre is removed from the rim (puncture repair etc) it is again recommended that a new valve be fitted. This is due to the fact that the base of the valve may be damaged during the removal of the tyre from the rim."
    Indeed, some valid points. Age is an issue - but there's nothing to say a valve shouldn't outlast several sets of tyres - you radiator and engine hoses do, they have a harsher environment and are expected to last (virtually), the life of the car..........damage of the valve by tyre fitters.........hmmm, if they're like that, how do they fit new ones without wrecking them, then ?

I still think this particular report is a complete fraud.

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That's gas.

I'd go back and appeal in person. You could just bring the car back as is, and it would likely pass, but why get hammered with a revisit fee?

Let us know how it goes, this is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

From the NCT website: "Re-test which do not require the use of a test lane, will be free of charge."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

galwaytt wrote: »
    so, my sis-in-law goes for the NCT today, in her 113k mile, 97, Corolla 1.3....

...and fails.

Why ? Valves. Tyre valves. You know, the ones you pump the tyre up with. I **** you not.

Official reason is that 'Vale (sic:rolleyes:) Stem Chafing against Valve Hole' Don't believe me ? See this:
    287216512_HiEHq-M.jpg

I take this as several things:
    1. Complete ignorance of vehicles, mechanics.........and common sense.
    3. Proof that the NCT staff have no idea what they're doing.

For 1, lest it be obvious, this car was fitted with brand new TUBELESS tyres only a few days ago. This means the valves are PART OF THE WHEEL RIM, not passing through it. ERGO - there is no 'hole', and they cannot move. If they did, the wheel would deflate immediately. Actually, if the NCT report were true, this car would suffer immediate deflation of FOUR wheels. A world first, I'm sure.

pics for ye of the 'offenders'........what to do, now?:mad:

LOOK HERE for pics

In fairness the valve does actually pass through the wheel rim, and it isn't strictly part of it. If it was it wouldn't be possible for tyre fitters to replace it when fitting new tyres. However -- chafing in the hole? That has just got to be a new one. If it was your SIL's car would have become a permanent feature of the landscape long ago, along with the rest of ours. Appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

galwaytt wrote: »

As someone else alluded to, this would fall under the free visual inspection, so all they'd be doing is creating more work for themselves for no extra money.

Adding bits to rants doesnt make it true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement