Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stéphane Ortelli crash Le Mans series Monza.

• 30-04-2008 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭

Was just watching the highlights of the race on Eurosport. Clip below for those that didn't catch it.

Luckily Ortelli only suffered a broken ankle and McNish in the Audi,how many lives does that man have.Suzuka 2002..lucky.Will never forget his crash at Donnington 1990,sadly a marshal wasn't as lucky that day. You could only imagine the scene if he was collected by Ortellis' car.

Quote from Autoblog.com
    Motorsport is a game of inches and tenths. A few inches here and a few tenths of a second there can mean the difference between spectacle and tragedy. Case in point: Team ORECA driver Stephane Ortelli's horrifying crash during today's Le Mans Series race at Monza. Ortelli, driving the ORECA Courage LC70-Judd, lost control of the car, which spun off the pavement and onto the grass. The prototype then became airborne, barely missing Allan McNish in the Audi R10 TDI. And then things got really ugly. The Courage touched back down and went into a series of cartwheels, shedding bodywork all over the place before crashing into the wall and landing right-side up. Ortelli suffered a broken ankle, but Team ORECA reports he is otherwise in good health. As you'll see in the video, things could have been a whole lot worse. You know. A few inches here, a few tenths there...

We wish him a speedy recovery.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Wow, what a lucky fooker! I'd accept just a broken ankle anyday after a cartwheeling as such. It really does show how strong prototypes are, they are basically a single seater with lots of extra bodywork that help shed energy during a crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

you never really see F1 cars take off like that, at least no anymore. Could this not be avoidable by introducing some aero-dynamic restrictions to the car designs? or even requiring the car to be a minimum weight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

For sure, both Ortelli and the Audi driver there were extremely lucky. It doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if they had actually collided! :eek:

oneofakind32, I'm not sure whether you were aware of this or not, but the cars do have minimum weight requirements, just like any other racing category. 900kg for the LMP1 cars and 825kg for the LMP2 cars, for example. However, I think the problem with sportscars flying through the air like this more than you'd see with an F1 car is the fact that they are just so much bigger that there's a lot more surface area under the cars for the air to catch when it gets under them and, with all that extra surface area/trapped air, these types of cars have more of a tendancy to get airborne. Plus, the aerodynamics on these cars probably wouldn't be as advanced as you'd find on an F1 car, where each and every single aero piece is designed to channel air in a certain way and, therefore, less likely to cause "lifting" like that.

As the years have gone by and the aerodynamics on these kinds of cars have also advanced, incidents of these sportscars getting airborne are becoming less and less common, just as we have seen with F1, but due to their bigger size and surface area they will always be more likely to take off.

Who can forget, for example, Le Mans back in 1999 when Mercedes had a whole spate of these incidents over the weekend, even after they added extra winglets to try and create more downforce and keep the cars on the road. I'll never forget watching this live on the telly and being horrified. I was sure Dumbreck was a goner. Lucky for him the trees had been cut back some time before! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Saw that earlier...Crazy crash!!! Amazing the safety structures though.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Who can forget, for example, Le Mans back in 1999 when Mercedes had a whole spate of these incidents over the weekend, even after they added extra winglets to try and create more downforce and keep the cars on the road. I'll never forget watching this live on the telly and being horrified. I was sure Dumbreck was a goner. Lucky for him the trees had been cut back some time before! :eek:

That certainly was one of those crazy weekends for motorsport. Watched it live myself and had seen the footage of the sister car doing the same,it was just unreal to see it happen again.God only knows how he survived.

• Advertisement
Advertisement