Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamped

Options
  • 30-04-2008 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

ARRRGGH!!!!!!!!!!
    I got clamped last night!!!!!!!!
    The no parking hours outside my girlfriends apartments are 7-7. so I usually park there only after 7 and get up before 7 the next morning to make sure Im not clamped. but this morning at 6:45 I came out to find out I'd already been clamped! I was clamped last night for " parking on a footpath " if anyone know military road in dublin then they know there is no way you can park there without parking on the footpath . promoting sensible parking my arse!!!!!!

B*STARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Fixed the heading for you there.
    (in other words ...keep the swearing down :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Ah no i hate that! Happened to me once while unloading in a loading bay, said they didn't see me unloading sh*t happens. I don't know the road but iam sure it still sucks.

Parking tickets i don't mind you are mildly pee-ed off about them but, the clamp is just more of an inconvience and annoying.

Wait for it though the righteous ones will arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cabrwab wrote: »
    I don't know the road but iam sure it still sucks.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm here now, you can all relax! :D
    daauneal wrote: »
    if anyone know military road in dublin then they know there is no way you can park there without parking on the footpath . promoting sensible parking my arse!!!!!!

Try being a pedestrian and trying to walk past all those cars parked on the footpath. Or a parent with pram. And just for the tiny violinists out there, what about a disabled person in a wheelchair? Should they roll off the kerb, drive along the road and then bunny hop back up onto the kerb everytime they come across an ignorant person who abandoned their car on the footpath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

markpb wrote: »
    Try being a pedestrian and trying to walk past all those cars parked on the footpath. Or a parent with pram. And just for the tiny violinists out there, what about a disabled person in a wheelchair? Should they roll off the kerb, drive along the road and then bunny hop back up onto the kerb everytime they come across an ignorant person who abandoned their car on the footpath?

There was well enough room for someone to walk past , they put the clamp on the the passenger side so if there was enough room for them to do that then I'm sure somebody could easily walk past. the path that I was parked on is in bits( as is the road ) due to construction in the area so somebody with a pram wouldn't be on that side of the road due to the (half gravel) path being so messed up. I feel sorry if someone in a wheelchair is on that road often as the path on the other side isnt that great either , its also very steep and the road is full of pot holes. If anyone has driven on that road lately they'll know what I'm talking about, all this money coming from clamping(on that road alone!) you'd think they'd improve it. by the way the footpath leads to nowhere, a wall juts out and you have to cross the road anyway, so its not exactly impeeding anyone! do you suggest I park my car in the middle of the road! legaly I could have parked it fully on the road beside the path as parking was permitted at the time it was there, but that would block all the cars forcing them to drive in the wrong lane !

There is being "completely legal" and then theres common sense, you seem to have the first part down, now try working on the second a little bit.

(I'm sorry ifI seem a bit annoyed , but if you're gonna sit on a horse that high , you should expect to fall off at some point.)

• Advertisement

I'm sorry ifI seem a bit annoyed , but if you're gonna sit on a horse that high , you should expect to fall off at some point.

Not at all, I'm quite comfortable up here :) In your case, it does sound like the footpath is unusable but you're the exception to the rule. The city is full of people who think about themselves first and pedestrians second with a complete lack of courtesy for anyone else. It's much safer for you to park on the road and force drivers to pass in single file than it is to force a pedestrian to perform the same manoever.

Every day I'm forced to walk on the road to get past a line of cars parked on the footpath and not a single car or van slows down or leaves a safe amount of space when they go past me. It might not be their fault I'm on the road but there's a lack of courtesy from both the driver who parked there and the driver going past. It's for people like that that clamping exists.

the only place I park in Dublin apart from my drive is my place or the gf place. I dont drive into town as I can walk there in 20 mins . what p*sses me off is I was gonna bring the car home last night and walk back cause I wasn't sure the car would be safe round there in the open all night. cause I didnt it cost me 80 euro , which I'm sure you'll agree no one ever has to spare to give to the clampers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

if anyone know military road in dublin then they know there is no way you can park there without parking on the footpath . promoting sensible parking my arse!!!!!!
    There's a lot of construction work going on there and the contractors have posted numerous reminders that parking on the path is not allowed. The road has regular checks by the parking enforcement people. Quite necessary in order to maintain traffic flow and safety.

how can you have traffic flow if you cant move your car cause its clamped! the only signs that are there are about the times you can/cant park. the road has regular checks in order to get easy money , nothing more. what construction traffic would you expect to find at 11:15 at night which is when they clamped me.

how can you have traffic flow if you cant move your car cause its clamped! the only signs that are there are about the times you can/cant park. the road has regular checks in order to get easy money , nothing more. what construction traffic would you expect to find at 11:15 at night which is when they clamped me.
    I'd agree that in the circumstances, it would have been better if they'd removed the car, but then it would have been more expensive and time-consuming for you to get it back. Surely you don't need a sign to tell your that parking on the footpath is illegal?

I might be in that area today, I'll see if I can get you a copy of the contractor's warning signs. Whereabouts relative to the NMMA were you parked?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I'd agree that in the circumstances, it would have been better if they'd removed the car, but then it would have been more expensive and time-consuming for you to get it back. Surely you don't need a sign to tell your that parking on the footpath is illegal?

I might be in that area today, I'll see if I can get you a copy of the contractor's warning signs. Whereabouts relative to the NMMA were you parked?

And the righteous one has arrived! Everyone bow down before the great high horse of cyclopath2001, lover of sneaky speed traps, clampers and all that makes motoring a misery.:rolleyes:

@The op, sorry to hear you were clamped, its only extortion by another name, its stealing IMO. I know plenty of areas in Cork where people have to park on the footpath at night due to lack of provision of proper spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Hi all,

I got clamped last week but check this out: It was a Sunday evening - after 7pm when I got clamped. I also looked at the Parking sign along the path: Monday – Saturday until 7pm only. Therefore, I presumed that Sunday would be ok. I said this to the arrogant little so & so on the phone from the Dublin clamping authority but he ignored me and persisted on repeating sentences from his little script book. “I’m sorry Miss, but you must pay the 80 Euro before we can remove clamp…” over and over again. It’s like they intentionally try to further infuriate their victims. There is definitely ill-legitimate clamping going on in Dublin … and some of these cases have been brought to the courts where the driver was perfectly within their parking rights (As I believe I was)
    I just don’t have the time/energy to pursue it further…. They are the most disliked, horrible and mean people in this land... yet claim they are only doing it for the good of the people....my a*se... Just a money making ploy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,628 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

lizanne83 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got clamped last week but check this out: It was a Sunday evening - after 7pm when I got clamped. I also looked at the Parking sign along the path: Monday – Saturday until 7pm only. Therefore, I presumed that Sunday would be ok. I said this to the arrogant little so & so on the phone from the Dublin clamping authority but he ignored me and persisted on repeating sentences from his little script book. “I’m sorry Miss, but you must pay the 80 Euro before we can remove clamp…” over and over again. It’s like they intentionally try to further infuriate their victims. There is definitely ill-legitimate clamping going on in Dublin … and some of these cases have been brought to the courts where the driver was perfectly within their parking rights (As I believe I was)
    I just don’t have the time/energy to pursue it further…. They are the most disliked, horrible and mean people in this land... yet claim they are only doing it for the good of the people....my a*se... Just a money making ploy

You had the energy to rant about it here, why cant you rant about it in an email or letter to them? Its attitudes like this that have the country the way it is. Poor customer service, rip off prices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,628 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

markpb wrote: »
    I'm here now, you can all relax! :D

Very good point. So putting a clamp on the car to ensure its continued obstruction is a good solution? It should have been towed.

Was this the place? (see photo attached). Or did you park outside the Garda forensic depot?

I saw about 4 warning signs and two or three clamped vehicles today, including this one. There seemed to be plenty of legal parking spots on the opposite side of the road. I'd imagine they would be empty at night, but maybe not so well lit.

Never eat in an empty restaurant and never park on an empty street!

A tip (for during the day) -there's parking at the IMMA (Royal Hospital) , I think it's free. And its a very nice place to walk in even if modern art is not your thing.

As regards Cork's parking problems, this might be the solution - from http://www.ih-osaka.or.jp/enjoy/en/transportation/06.html
    Purchasing an Automobile
    Before purchasing an automobile, you must secure a parking site and apply for a certificate confirming the existence of the parking site. You can obtain this certificate at the main police station of the area in which the parking site is located.

no . and I only park around there at night , when its allowed. take some more pics of the surrounding area , when you get the right place I'll let you know , considering you seem to have nothing better to do .

(just remember, proving someone wrong on an internet forum is the highest achievement in life by far.)

no . and I only park around there at night , when its allowed.
    On the footpath? Stop playing the victim. I push a wheelchair from time to time & I cannot understand why you think you deserve sympathy.

I'm not playing a victim, but you seem to be playing what I've noticed is your roll of a troll , if you have nothing further to add then please stop spamming for post counts.

any problems you have with this you can contact me via pm, and I'll personally show you the sign myself, I can also make sure it never leaves your side if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Normally I would stay neutral and read on - but I have "No" sympathy for someone being clamped whilst parked on a footpath - notice word "foot" - not "car"path.

We have two kids under 2 - both in prams (separate prams so no smart remarks about big wide double buggies):p and walking to Dundrum centre on Sunday I was blocked by two cars parked on the path. I went into the house to get the first one moved and in fairness he was very apologetic but as I got past that I realised the next one was blocking us too. I was close to actually ramming the pram through along his paintwork (with child removed of course):p but then I thought better as I would hate it to happen to my car. Had to go onto the road at the corner of a 4 way junction and cross over.

You can come back and call me a moaner if you want - but I aint' the one that had to pay the €80 to get the clamp removed:D

On the way back the same black golf was still there so my wife rang down to Dundrum Garda station 200 yards down the road - interested? Not a poxy chance. Too busy sitting on his lazy backside to do anything.

My thoughts
    Paddy

I dont know what the garda are like round there , but prob too busy helping someone that got mugged or something like that , a car parked on the path wouldnt be on the top of the list Id say. as Ive stated in prev post , you'd never get a buggy on that particular path anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note there are a bunch of "Military Road"s in Dublin. :rolleyes:

Rathmines
    Kilmainham
    Killiney / Ballybrack
    Phoenix Park
    Dublin / Wicklow Mountains

Normally I would stay neutral and read on - but I have "No" sympathy for someone being clamped whilst parked on a footpath - notice word "foot" - not "car"path.

We have two kids under 2 - both in prams (separate prams so no smart remarks about big wide double buggies):p and walking to Dundrum centre on Sunday I was blocked by two cars parked on the path. I went into the house to get the first one moved and in fairness he was very apologetic but as I got past that I realised the next one was blocking us too. I was close to actually ramming the pram through along his paintwork (with child removed of course):p but then I thought better as I would hate it to happen to my car. Had to go onto the road at the corner of a 4 way junction and cross over.

You can come back and call me a moaner if you want - but I aint' the one that had to pay the €80 to get the clamp removed:D

On the way back the same black golf was still there so my wife rang down to Dundrum Garda station 200 yards down the road - interested? Not a poxy chance. Too busy sitting on his lazy backside to do anything.

My thoughts
    Paddy

Meh, moaner! :p

None of the Gardai in Dublin are too interested in parking offences these days now that they can pass the buck onto the city clampers. That would be fine if the clampers ever dared to venture outside the city centre.

Daauneal, I feel you pain because there are plenty of places in Dublin were parking either isn't provided at all or isn't adequate but there's never a time when it's legal to park on a footpath - pedestrians have been known to venture out at night y'know ;) If they have to walk on the road to get past your car, it's even more dangerous when it's dark. The rules might be pissy but they're there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

faceman wrote: »
    Meh, moaner! :p

Bah...:D

I did not expect Guard's to do anything but see what they had to say. The second car was parked on the kerb less than 10 metres from the corner/junction and I think that itself is illegal - according to Guard who moved me on a few years ago when I stopped close to a junction to drop someone off.

Anyway, it is true that drivers commonly do not care to consider the ped's at all and someone made the true point that it is far safer for all if car is parked on the road and passing cars need to go past in single file as they would not like to bang theirs off the parked car but if it is the pedestrian that steps onto the road to get around the car then they will get blown out of it - and they are a softer target than the parked car and more likely to get creamed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Anyway, it is true that drivers commonly do not care to consider the ped's at all and someone made the true point that it is far safer for all if car is parked on the road and passing cars need to go past in single file as they would not like to bang theirs off the parked car but if it is the pedestrian that steps onto the road to get around the car then they will get blown out of it - and they are a softer target than the parked car and more likely to get creamed!

In fairness, pedestrians are not the most cautious at the best of times... If they get 'blown out of it' it is probably as a result of walking straight out into traffic........... just like they do on pedestrian crossings ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Please explain this for me. The general principle of clamping, WHAT THE FLUCK IS IT?

A vehicle gets clamped if it is causing an obstruction by blocking or impeding everybodys progress. Who the hell thought up that sh1t? If the car is clamped then it cannot be moved until it is unclamped, and the purpose of clamping is to discipline the offender by inconviencing them and making them wait to get unclamped.
    Is it not alarmingly obvious to everybody that this is the most arsefaced solution to the problem.

If sombody is causing a blockage on the roads then the blockage should be removed at the inconvenience of the offender. Anybody with half a brain could see this is better than sticking a big lump of metal on the blockage to prevent it being removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I think clamping is effective. I wouldn't dream of parking incorrectly in Dublin city centre these days. Yeah, it'd make more sense, in a way, to tow the cars instead, but you can clamp a lot of cars in the same time as it takes to tow one.

I was clamped recently in south county dublin in a church car park. I pleaded with the guy and he took it off for free. I gave him a bottle of wine then. It was so civil and left the two of us with a warm, fuzzy feeling.

*As an aside, the police seized my car a few weeks back as the tax was out. Be warned! Cost me E125 to get it back, could've been much more. 11:30pm in Ballybrack and all my begging was in vain. The guards are such devils for enforcing the laws of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

rediguana wrote: »
    I think clamping is effective. I wouldn't dream of parking incorrectly in Dublin city centre these days. Yeah, it'd make more sense, in a way, to tow the cars instead, but you can clamp a lot of cars in the same time as it takes to tow one.

I seem to remember a Reeling in the Years program showing when they introduced clamping into Dublin. DCC had all the neccesary signs showing restricted hours and so on and people just ignored them. TheN a publicity campaign was started about where and where not to park and that was ignored.
    Ultimatly it took clamping to cut out the blantant messing by many.(of course it still goes on a lesser scale). It shouldn't be way but many just don't care and it's take a fine and the inconvienance of getting clamped to learn.

Good point above. Yes, towing is a better solution than clamping but you can clamp far more cars in a shorter time than towing them.

A road near me (Fairview Strand, D3) has the footpath lined with cars. Some even put their wheelie bin on the footpath to reserve their space :eek:
    If they are annoying me, I just push in the wing mirrors. Meh, maybe it pisses them off but they are getting in my way and there a day care centre for the blind nearby so it just isn't on.

Before I get flamed I'm not damaging anything by folding a wing mirror and if I have to edge sideways down a footpath, I'll certainly do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

micmclo wrote: »
    IBefore I get flamed I'm not damaging anything by folding a wing mirror and if I have to edge sideways down a footpath, I'll certainly do it!

Fatso :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Slig wrote: »
    If sombody is causing a blockage on the roads then the blockage should be removed at the inconvenience of the offender. Anybody with half a brain could see this is better than sticking a big lump of metal on the blockage to prevent it being removed
    Cars causing an obstruction are often lifted and moved to another local road and clamped there.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement