Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamped

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

micmclo wrote: »
    I seem to remember a Reeling in the Years program showing when they introduced clamping into Dublin. DCC had all the neccesary signs showing restricted hours and so on and people just ignored them. TheN a publicity campaign was started about where and where not to park and that was ignored.
    Ultimatly it took clamping to cut out the blantant messing by many.(of course it still goes on a lesser scale). It shouldn't be way but many just don't care and it's take a fine and the inconvienance of getting clamped to learn.

Therein lies the problem.
    People *used* to park terribly and nobody gave a rats ass, I was as guilty as anyone else - a £15 parking ticket was worth not missing an important meeting.

Since the clampers came, the majority of people now park sensibly and so they must dig deeper into the barrel in order to make a profit.

There's no solution, everyone hates them yet take them away and we'd revert to anarchy.
    Before I get flamed I'm not damaging anything by folding a wing mirror and if I have to edge sideways down a footpath, I'll certainly do it!

Meh, I have a button to unfold em again:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

stevec wrote: »
    Since the clampers came, the majority of people now park sensibly and so they must dig deeper into the barrel in order to make a profit.
    The clamping companies employed by councils essentially have a fixed price contract - make the same amount per day whether the clamp one car or ten.

The councils typically pay the clamping companies more than what the the clamping fees bring in every year.

The councils make their money by making sure people actually pay for their parking.
    Before I get flamed I'm not damaging anything by folding a wing mirror and if I have to edge sideways down a footpath, I'll certainly do it!
    Mairt wrote: »
    Fatso :p
    I was once walking past a van parked on the footpath and didn't care that his mirror was in the way. I brushed against it and it fell off. :eek: Not my fault - it was going to come off anyway, but I picked it up, put in on the windscreeen and made a quick getaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The clampers in cork are employed directly by the corporation I believe. Interesting how they always target 'lucrative' areas eh? But its all about traffic flow and doing whats best for us greedy and stupid motorists right? I think clamping should be done away with in most cases. Tow a car if its causing obstruction. Ticket it if parked illegally. Also interesting how I see the clamper van up by my place more then the number 5 bus. Shows where the cities priorities are eh?

In fairness it takes a few weeks to re-register your new car to your address and in the meantime you can't get a residents permit, what is one supposed to do in that situation?!:confused: The price of being clamped, and the very act of it, is plain government sponsored extortion. Its illegal in Scotland as they class it as stealing, which it is really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

In Galway the clampers now have to be called by the traffic wardens before they can clamp someone. This is since a couple of high profile acts of stupidity by them (the clampers, that is!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Victor wrote: »
    The clamping companies employed by councils essentially have a fixed price contract - make the same amount per day whether the clamp one car or ten.

The councils typically pay the clamping companies more than what the the clamping fees bring in every year.

The councils make their money by making sure people actually pay for their parking.

Fair enough, I'll rephrase it then:
    "Since the clampers came, the majority of people now park sensibly and so they must dig deeper into the barrel in order to justify their existence."
    :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement