Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-player and the Guide book

• 30-04-2008 8:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

has anyone tried the multi-player on it yet? i could'nt get mine started last night for some reason... just wondering if its any good and what the objective of it is.

Also, I noticed that this game’s manual is quiet flimsy and just has some information about pubs and restaurants this surely means that we would have to fork out 15 big ones for the guide book to get the full whack of what the game can do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Went online a few times yesterday, i was not impressed at all. It is crap compared to COD4. i Just found it to slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

is it just a free rampage accross the city? - can you access the entire map?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

couldnt get mine online either (ps3) seemed that everytime i went to play i was the host, can you not just join other games? either that or the connection to the other players was lost.
    the one time i actually got a game to start, hit someone with an rpg a few seconds in and then it crashed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

is it just a free rampage accross the city? - can you access the entire map?

Yes, you have options to do multiplayer missions as well though.. did'nt really find it slow, maybe bad ADSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Crap compared to COD ???????????????????????????????????????????????????
    ????????????????????????????????

what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

eh...how do you even get online ?

I can see under stats->network you can see online scores but where in the menu do you start an online game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

RAIN wrote: »
    Crap compared to COD ???????????????????????????????????????????????????
    ????????????????????????????????

what?

Cod 4 (online play)> Gta iv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

its awesome, chasing other onliners around with a helicopter has been the highlight so far :D

you go online through niko's mobile phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭r0nn13

bryanjf wrote: »
    you go online through niko's mobile phone

It was down last night for PS3 users, as i tried many times to get online:-
    http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/04/29/gta-iv-online-is-down/

Shame, but hey ho PSN is separate from the servers that host the GTA4 game so these servers obviously got swamped :D

Try again tonight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Turf War, Cops and Robbers and Mafia are class.

Turf war consists of capturing certain areas and defending them from the opposing team, who are trying to do likewise. I've seen all sorts of crazy antics in this mode - drive by shootings, crazy driving in attempts to run over opposing gang members. You can see everyone on the radar, so its not hard to find a fight. Just watch out for those random crazies trying to run you down :)

Cops & Robbers is straightforward enough - one team are the gangsters, who have a boss. Their mission is to get the boss to a point on the map for extraction. The cops have to stop them by any means :) One game had the cops crowded into a copter chasing down our gang in a transit-like van. It was like something out of the movies.

Mafia is a free for all mission mode, where everyone is given the same mission (e.g., capture a laptop and bring it to an extraction point) via the mobile phone. I only played one round last night of this game type, though it was hectic stuff. 8 people competing for the same objective - highlight was a massive player/npc car pile up followed by some dude firing his rpg into the middle. Mass destruction and much laughing ensued!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭nige1982

Just played it once last night but its great played againts 1 other lad with just sniper rifels and like a tru novice to the multiplayer game there was me running after his red dot with a rifle in hand when i saw him coming towards me in a sports car just missed me somehow?? and shot him straight tru the windscreen in the head so i gave up after that not to test my luck, looks brill tho my gamer tag is nigel82 if anyone wants to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Look I know COD 4 is a great game but GTA 4 is not the same kind of game. Multiplayer is going to be vastly different. If you dont like it, fair enough. But all I hear is this constant comparing to COD 4. Different games, different play mechanics, different experience. If you play multiplayer GTA 4 and expect a COD4 type of game well then more the fool to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

couldnt get mine online either (ps3) seemed that everytime i went to play i was the host, can you not just join other games? either that or the connection to the other players was lost.
    the one time i actually got a game to start, hit someone with an rpg a few seconds in and then it crashed

same here, cept i was playin on 360. kept making me a host rather than letting me join anything that was already going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

its not just me so.

managed to join a game during lunch but its nearly impossible to get a full room and when you do they all leave before the game starts

when i was able to play, it was only a 2 player misson based one and another where i had to get petrovic out of town (again with only another 2 or 3 players)

never manage to get enough players for cops and crooks or deathmatch which from posts seem to be the best fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

tomred1 wrote: »
    Went online a few times yesterday, i was not impressed at all. It is crap compared to COD4. i Just found it to slow.

Went online with COD4 a few times, I was not impressed at all. It is crap compared to GT prologue! I just found it to slow. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I was playing multiplayer death match and there were about 30 a good load of people playing, at least 16. It was excellent fun. I was playing a ranked match. R* should have included decent instructions and explanations with the game about the various multiplayer options.

Sonderval wrote: »
    Turf War, Cops and Robbers and Mafia are class.

Turf war consists of capturing certain areas and defending them from the opposing team, who are trying to do likewise. I've seen all sorts of crazy antics in this mode - drive by shootings, crazy driving in attempts to run over opposing gang members. You can see everyone on the radar, so its not hard to find a fight. Just watch out for those random crazies trying to run you down :)

Cops & Robbers is straightforward enough - one team are the gangsters, who have a boss. Their mission is to get the boss to a point on the map for extraction. The cops have to stop them by any means :) One game had the cops crowded into a copter chasing down our gang in a transit-like van. It was like something out of the movies.

Mafia is a free for all mission mode, where everyone is given the same mission (e.g., capture a laptop and bring it to an extraction point) via the mobile phone. I only played one round last night of this game type, though it was hectic stuff. 8 people competing for the same objective - highlight was a massive player/npc car pile up followed by some dude firing his rpg into the middle. Mass destruction and much laughing ensued!

That's the amazing thing about this game, so many possibilites and outcomes.

''COD 4 is better'' :rolleyes:... it was a great game but not a touch this, same crap always happened in COD, same fellas going to the same vantage points, traded it in two weeks ago, got 6 mths of gaming out of it and it was one of the better games i've played but after a few weeks it was the old ''aaaww im sick of this map'' the map in GTA is 50 times bigger then all the COD 4 maps, you never know whats going to happen next in GTA. Anyway that's your opinion, i'd be confident more would be siding with me when you consider all the options online in this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I still havnt been able to get online!

Advertisement