Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My turn for steaks

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Ste05 wrote: »
    Trip report please!!

Overall feel is 'posh French bistro'.

It's a nice room and was 90% full on a Wednesday night which obviously indicates popularity with the punters. Relaxed atmosphere, mainly locals but a few tourists also. Got sat right at the back, nice table, nice comfy chairs (very important, lots of restaraunts don't realise this). Very swish tableware.
    The waiting staff were extremely good, very attentive and knowledgable (correctly pointing out salsify as an ingredient to Mrs S, I wouldn't expect many waiters to know this).

Wine list is OK, lots of 'by the glass' choice which I always like to see. Has a nice glass of Burgundy with our starters and an average Sancere with our mains. Usual 100/150% mark-up on wines :mad:.

Starters were rabbit rilettes with a port & cranberry sauce for me and Toulouse sausage on a bed of puy lentils with a creamy, mustardy sauce for Mrs S. Both excellent, portion size was a little too big if anything. Accompanying bread was average only.

Mains were scallops for Mrs S and a seafood stew with aoili for me. Lots of nice bits in the seafood stew - scallops, mussels, smoked fish (haddock I think), white fish and juicy prawns. The sauce was delicious and some nice textural contrast provided by some carrots and celery. Mrs S wholly impressed with her scallops - perfectly cooked with a somewhat daring curried butter sauce and the aforementioned salsify.

For dessert,we were both utterly stuffed but I ordered the tarte tatin with pistachio ice cream in the interests of research. Not a classical tarte tatin but pleasant enough in a bland kind of way. Two glasses of syrupy dessert wine, a well-made espresso for Mrs S and excellent coffee for me.

Overall rating 8.5/10 (high praise indeed). €125 all-in, relatively good value for Dublin.

The first in the poker forum restaraunt review thread?

YULETIRED wrote: »
    ice cold RED vino :eek: I feel ill.

quite standard in Spain

I wouldn't do it with a fine Bordeaux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

It's a nice room and was 90% full on a Wednesday night which obviously indicates popularity with the punters. Relaxed atmosphere, mainly locals but a few tourists also. Got sat right at the back, nice table, nice comfy chairs (very important, lots of restaraunts don't realise this). Very swish tableware.
    The waiting staff were extremely good, very attentive and knowledgable (correctly pointing out salsify as an ingredient to Mrs S, I wouldn't expect many waiters to know this).

Wine list is OK, lots of 'by the glass' choice which I always like to see. Has a nice glass of Burgundy with our starters and an average Sancere with our mains. Usual 100/150% mark-up on wines :mad:.

Starters were rabbit rilettes with a port & cranberry sauce for me and Toulouse sausage on a bed of puy lentils with a creamy, mustardy sauce for Mrs S. Both excellent, portion size was a little too big if anything. Accompanying bread was average only.

Mains were scallops for Mrs S and a seafood stew with aoili for me. Lots of nice bits in the seafood stew - scallops, mussels, smoked fish (haddock I think), white fish and juicy prawns. The sauce was delicious and some nice textural contrast provided by some carrots and celery. Mrs S wholly impressed with her scallops - perfectly cooked with a somewhat daring curried butter sauce and the aforementioned salsify.

For dessert,we were both utterly stuffed but I ordered the tarte tatin with pistachio ice cream in the interests of research. Not a classical tarte tatin but pleasant enough in a bland kind of way. Two glasses of syrupy dessert wine, a well-made espresso for Mrs S and excellent coffee for me.

Overall rating 8.5/10 (high praise indeed). €125 all-in, relatively good value for Dublin.

Good review.

€125 is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

the 2nd.

Overall feel - draughty

Went to Eddie Rockets.....oversized large coke, , chicked wings to start, followed by cheezy fries with da classic burger. Put 1 euro in 20ccents into da minidukeboxthinkgy...

Selections picked
    Hopefully devoted to you.....hit H3 when I meant to hit J3......
    I want to hold yer hand - the beatles.....for romantic effect seen as it was a lovely romantic type meal.
    House of the Rising sun..the animals.........enjoyed singing along to this whilst waiting on the chezzys
    Run around Sue - I used to go out with one.....sweet slapper she was.... woo wooo waaa woo woo wooo
    Sweet Caroline - to get me in the mood for the upcoming gig...*ahem forget I said that....

quite standard in Spain

I wouldn't do it with a fine Bordeaux

I know and just like their cold soup. it makes me ill....yeack..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

There is a new Argentinian restaraunt opening soon beside the Radisson by Chancery Lane in town.

There's a big picture of a man wrestling a cow to the ground in the window, which bodes well.
    Ohhh I'm very happy now. :D

Sounds like an enjoyable meal El S, the curried scallops sound interesting, we really do need a Poker forum Restaurant review thread... :eek: Nice work Yuletired.

Also, yep, I am always horrified when I'm given Cold Red Wine in Spain, not a fan at all. I remember I was in one terrible restaurant there and I ordered a bottle of Red, they brought it out to me, and I asked if they had one that wasn't stored in the fridge, he tried explaining that they didn't but after a while of asking him for one at room temperature, he brought me one that they must have been keeping in the Oven or out back in some sort of hot-box in the direct midday sun, because it was actually hot! So the options were ice cold, or hot bath water. Very off putting if they store their wine in the sun, plonk them into the fridge to cool them down and serve, needless to say, I never went back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

Anybody going to the Waterford Open in Tramore in June, go to The Pine Rooms (about 100 yards from the tournament venue).

Order the fillet steak.

Promise this is unrivalled, including Shanahans or wherever in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Eh I'm off for bacon and cabbage in the Mill in the town of the new taoiseach, mightn't be as good as Shanahan's but definitely cheaper @ €8.50 for the main course, but then again I am a low Steaks player and eater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Good report mr stunterini.

Now, as soon as HitchyK1 hooks me up with a wealthy supermodel, i'll have her buy me dinner there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What happened to the Steaks?

eagle eye wrote: »
    What happened to the Steaks?

I got semi-bluffed by Mrs S (venue switch)

I got semi-bluffed by Mrs S (venue switch)

Did she pull Stunts like that before you married her?

Did she pull Stunts like that before you married her?

that's why I married her..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

ice cold RED vino :eek: I feel ill.

Its a yank thing, I've seen it a few times and I agree it is sacrilegious.
    I'd a very awkward moment when a guest in a house and the host brought out a very fancy bottle of red in a bucket of ice. I was :eek: and may have offended our venerable host with a WTF are you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

A nice Restaurant thread would be good though.
    Reviews for the Winding Stair, The Lobster Pot, L'Ecrivain & Chapter One pls.

that's why I married her..

Wow so she is the Stuntsperson and YOU took HER name.....This will make girly sense to Teresea (theresisalwaysone )

Mrs El obvioulsy rules....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Willie, you're on fire today... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

As a vegetarian I must say, you are all savages

Big error there, you should have asked for the Rabbits Foot to bring with you, it would be of enormous benefit to your Mojo.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Big error there, you should have asked for the Rabbits Foot to bring with you, it would be of enormous benefit to your Mojo.

that's just primitive superstition :pac:

that's just primitive superstition :pac:

Just had a scary thought.

Imagine if the Chief got his hands on a mojo and a rabbits foot.:eek:

crate of this just ordered...food and mojo themes neatly combined imo

konriko_mojo.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Mr.Plough wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek:

Veggies, here, among our midst. A sad day for the poker forum.

The best steak I have ever had was also in an argentinean restaurant. It was in Arinsal in Andorra. We went there 4 nights in a row at one point, and reserved their best steaks the night before with a generous tip. They cooked them in an open fire in front of us. The taste was simply spectacular.

As for the lobster pot being asked about above, there used to be a chipper in Limerick called the lobster pot which was fantastic. I think it is closed now though.

5starpool wrote: »

next thing ye know, they'll be after lettin' wimmin in

next thing ye know, they'll be after lettin' wimmin in

Where?

/takes a swift look around. Is disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

It must be asked?

Are you going to marry a carrot?

Where?

be careful what you wish for, Mulligans used to be a tranquil oasis of pint-swilling masculinity, a sanctuary for the hard-pressed man.

Now you'd meet the likes of Smurph in there :eek:

Where?

Wimmmins on boards...

There is the red bearded Teresea,
    Mrs Gillian (trapatony) Flushdraw
    Jewels
    Smurph
    Emmm yer wan form Donegal
    the PPowersisthe pits.lady.
    emmm, I'm sure there are many more, but I'm biting into a hot hang sambo atm so I can't think of anything except devouraments.

Is reggie a veggie? He's been very quiet on the steak thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

The best steak I have ever had was also in an argentinean restaurant. It was in Arinsal in Andorra. We went there 4 nights in a row at one point, and reserved their best steaks the night before with a generous tip. They cooked them in an open fire in front of us. The taste was simply spectacular.

As for the lobster pot being asked about above, there used to be a chipper in Limerick called the lobster pot which was fantastic. I think it is closed now though.

The service can be poor enough in that restaurant (Surf I think?) Dom but I agree the steaks (and the rack of ribs for that matter) were divine. Absolutely nothing like seeing the meat being cooked on the open fire as you walk in. Gets the juices flowing.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

Were just slowly taking over the world.... ssshh don't tell anyone.

Ps, still have to go into lounge in Mulligans to go to the toilet.... I think the owner said something along the lines (shortly before he died from a mysterious illness) that "Hell would freeze over before he put a wimins toilet in the Bar)

ollyk1 wrote: »
    The service can be poor enough in that restaurant (Surf I think?) Dom but I agree the steaks (and the rack of ribs for that matter) were divine. Absolutely nothing like seeing the meat being cooked on the open fire as you walk in. Gets the juices flowing.....:D

No, not the surf place Olly. The surf is on the left as you walk up the hill, this place was on the right and was small enough. It was 8 years ago that I was there though, so could have changed a lot since then though if it is even there.

not really a vege. Love meat from slaughtered animals. warpaint etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

not really a vege. Love meat from slaughtered animals. warpaint etc

Liar..you are really a level 5 veggie, you dont eat anything that casts a shadow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I was a hardcore veggie for 3 years..... Tuna steak brought me back 6 months ago. Now I'm the polar opposite, would probably try a dog if someone told me it was nice.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Liar..you are really a level 5 veggie, you dont eat anything that casts a shadow

Just had a turkey & ham sambo with oxtail soup, although it wasn't the best due to the burnt burger grease which was on the grill

Just had a turkey & ham sambo with oxtail soup, although it wasn't the best due to the burnt burger grease which was on the grill

Proof that you're a big ol liar, burger grease makes everything better.

Not when it's black and crispy and sticks to the bread. Tastes like albanian ass

Not when it's black and crispy and sticks to the bread. Takes like albanian ass

I see, being a cannibal doesn't actually mean you're not a veggie you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Another veggie here - Im not accepted by veggies either tho cos I eat fish. Best steak house Ive been in as mentioned by KP is n9ne in the Palms in Vegas.

Advertisement