Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My next step!

• 30-04-2008 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

I'm looking for some advice,

I recently built a new rig and while it's faster than my predecessor, I expected more.

I'm now thinking of going for a 64bit OS (Vista or XP?)

I've tried over clocking using Nvidias software but to call it stable is.... simply wrong, never keeps the settings but I’m happy to admit I’m a complete newbie at over clocking

Here are my specs

Antec Performance One P180 Miditower,
    Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS,
    ABIT IN9 32X-MAX WiFi, nForce-680i SLI,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT,
    Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU Cooler,
    GeForce 7800GTX (512)
    Zalman VGA Cooler VF700-Cu
    Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2
    XP SP2 32bit

ANY advice is welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Ru wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice,

I recently built a new rig and while it's faster than my predecessor, I expected more.

I'm now thinking of going for a 64bit OS (Vista or XP?)

64 bit does make a difference, but I'd advise XP over Vista. This is not because of any faults with Vista per se but because it's far too tight in it's requirements for 64 bit software and drivers.

XP64 will only run on 64 bit drivers, but will allow 32 bit programs to be installed, Vista 64 will only allow 64 bit apps and that's where you will run into problems. Vista 64 is also more fussy with it's drivers and you may end up with unworkable hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,860 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

rrpc wrote: »
    64 bit does make a difference, but I'd advise XP over Vista. This is not because of any faults with Vista per se but because it's far too tight in it's requirements for 64 bit software and drivers.

XP64 will only run on 64 bit drivers, but will allow 32 bit programs to be installed, Vista 64 will only allow 64 bit apps and that's where you will run into problems. Vista 64 is also more fussy with it's drivers and you may end up with unworkable hardware.

Above post can be ignored, almost everything said is incorrect.

Firstly, moving to 64bit won't make that big of a difference, you will however be able to use the last gig of your 4Gigs of RAM, so if thats whats causing sluggish performance in the programs you use, then moving to 64bit will make a difference.

What programs are you running, and you may get the advice you need.

If you're going 64bit, then go Vista x64, XP x64 was not that well supported, and doesn't have anywhere near the amount of drivers as Vista x64 has, and the drivers that are available have had very little development time.

Vista x64 supports 32bit programs to the exact same extent as XP x64 does.

Looking at your hardware, Vista x64 will work without any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

It's mainly used for gaming re-encoding video's.

I also use it in conjunction with a NAS drive and a PS3 so it's on pretty much 24/7, hence the case with so many fans.

I understand some older software "may" have issue with the 64bit OS but i'm gonna take the plunge.

One more query, is it possible to to have a dual boot system with XP 32bit and Vista ultimate 64bit, or am i asking for trouble?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

astrofool wrote: »
    LOL

An XP license won't let you use vista
    A Vista Business / Ultimate license will allow you to use XP

yes 64 bit hardware drivers are harder to get , so check all the HW has them including perhiperials. Now that Vista is out, few manufacturers will be writing XP 64 bit drivers for devices that don't already have them. And Creative isn't even writing full drivers for older hardware for Vista.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm running 64bit Vista here with absolutely no problems. There was incompatibilities last year, core temp, rivatuner & my bluetooth dongle didn't have digitally signed drivers, but they're all sorted now. Its actually very well supported, much better than 64bit XP.

Oh, and if your thinking bout overclocking a quad 1st thing i'd do is ditch the blue orb, not up to the job. I recommend either Thermalright Ultra Extreme or Tuniq Tower.

Overclocking is best done in the bios, forget bout the nvidia software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

astrofool wrote: »
    The only thing that was incorrect and it was more of an exaggeration than incorrect was the x64 programs issue. However, there are some issues with Vista 64 handling of 32 bit apps, a lot of them related to the install procedure which can fail because of the splitting of 32 bit and 64 bit processes. There are many examples of 'access denied' errors during installation that can basically halt the installation.
    Firstly, moving to 64bit won't make that big of a difference, you will however be able to use the last gig of your 4Gigs of RAM, so if thats whats causing sluggish performance in the programs you use, then moving to 64bit will make a difference.
    Most users of Vista x64 will tell you the 4 gigs is not enough. 8 gigs is becoming the de facto standard. XP x64 is a lot less demanding and has a smaller footprint on your RAM, so 4 gigs is plenty for it. Remember that XP x64 was built on the Server 2003 platform and has server stability inherent in it which Vista 64 does not have.
    If you're going 64bit, then go Vista x64, XP x64 was not that well supported, and doesn't have anywhere near the amount of drivers as Vista x64 has, and the drivers that are available have had very little development time.
    However, Vista x64 will not install (yes will not install) drivers that do not have a digital certificate. How many times have you seen the pop up during a driver install saying that the driver was not digitally signed? Well with Vista x64 you don't get a 'Continue' button. :)
    Vista x64 supports 32bit programs to the exact same extent as XP x64 does.
    See above. Don't install Vista x64 until you have checked that every program you are going to install has dealt with any installation issues in Vista. Pay particular attention to AV because these have to be x64
    Looking at your hardware, Vista x64 will work without any problems.
    Except you'll need to put in another 4 gigs of RAM. Check everything else to make sure they have digitally signed certs and also check that your mobo will actually take advantage of x64. That's where the real speed gains are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

However, Vista x64 will not install (yes will not install) drivers that do not have a digital certificate. How many times have you seen the pop up during a driver install saying that the driver was not digitally signed? Well with Vista x64 you don't get a 'Continue' button. :)

You have the option to disable digitally signed drivers on startup by pressing f8, I had to do it before the writers of coretemp & rivatuner released a digitally signed driver.

See above. Don't install Vista x64 until you have checked that every program you are going to install has dealt with any installation issues in Vista. Pay particular attention to AV because these have to be x64

Avg didn't support 64bit Vista before xmas, thats why i use Avira Antivir, but the latest free version of Avg does support it now. Avast also supports 64bit. Theres no shortage fo 64bit av progs. I tried Nod32 also for a while.

Except you'll need to put in another 4 gigs of RAM. Check everything else to make sure they have digitally signed certs and also check that your mobo will actually take advantage of x64. That's where the real speed gains are.

4gb is loads, I've yet to use all 4Gb. Anyway ram is dirt cheap.

Thanks for all the advice, despite the conflicting info!!

I'm gonna take the plunge and go with Vista Ultimate 64bit.

I'll let you know how it works out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I've been using Vista home Premium x64 for a few months now with 8GB of ram. I've had no problem with any applications. And all my devices had 64 bit vista drivers.

Only problem I had was with the nVidia drivers, which occasionally cause it to BSOD.

• Advertisement

I've done it and I can only say..... Brilliant...

I've been using Vista in work since it first launched and been through ALL the problems.

I was in the same job when XP was first launched, and went through all the problems then too. I wonder if all the Vista bashers now, were XP bashers back then too!!!!

Ultimate 64bit is a dream to use and I can really see the difference. The GUI is great and despite only 4gig's of RAM, I’m getting higher frame rates on both Crysis and COD4. This alone justifies the expense. Although I’m gonna stick in another 4gig's, mainly because RAM is so cheap now.

The only problems I’ve come across (so far) are…

1) Zone Alarm doesn’t support 64bit and a free 3rd party Firewall is hard to come across.
    2) Realteks latest driver (R1.91) will not install despite the version I’m using is for Vista 32bit & 64bit; however R1.90 works fine
    3) I use a .exe fix for all of my games and the one for Homeworld 2 will not work so I’ll have to use the CD… very annoying!! Especially as it’s “somewhere” in my house

The nice surprises I got…

1) I use Super to re-encode video and I was shocked to see how much faster this process is now that I’m fully utilizing my processor.
    2) Networking is laughably simple and my PS3 IMMIDIATELLY recognized my PC, XP was very problematic and only worked intermittently.
    3) UltraVNC software worked first attempt. I only use it locally but it works on my wife’s XP lappy, my work Vista one and even me bleedin iPhone (no I’m not a sad “bought in Ireland”, obviously loaded, must have it, kinda guy!)
    4) Vista bashers are wrong… I’m no fan of Microsoft, but Vista IS great software (now) and despite all of this being an exact repeat of the XP launch, and all of the bashers were probably screaming “STAY with 2000”… it works brilliantly, the software (for my uses) is near perfect.

Advertisement