Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crunch locks are SH!T!!!

Options
  • 30-04-2008 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

I was in the gym this morning and when I came out of the shower I realised I had locked all my clothes and gear in my locker with a spare €7 Crunch combination lock that I didn't know the code to - absolutely retarded I know! I must have got my regualar lock and that spare one mixed up in my bag or something.

So I was left with the task of how to get back into my locker, so I decided to have a shot at breaking it off. It took me about a minute, 2 minutes tops to bend and break the lock off with my hand. Its a joke how sh1tty those locks are. I've know so many people who have had things nicked out of the locker room when using those locks and now I can see exactly why!

I'm getting myself a sturdy chubb padlock!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

theres also a handy key for opening those locks. I have a theory that this is why crunch want you to use them, so they can effortlessly remove the lock if they need to e.g. I left stuff in a locker overnight once and when I came back the next day all my stuff was up at reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

theres also a handy key for opening those locks. I have a theory that this is why crunch want you to use them, so they can effortlessly remove the lock if they need to e.g. I left stuff in a locker overnight once and when I came back the next day all my stuff was up at reception.

Yeh maybe, I always assumed that they make us use those locks because they cheap, probably cost Crunch like €0.50 and they sell the locks to us for €7 making a decent profit. I didn't realise how cheap and sh1tty they really are until today though!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I suspect that too. They'd be better off using euro deposit locks where they give you a key to wear around your wrist like a lot of hotel pools use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

If you have a college locker use the lock off that and you can save the 7 euro cost. If I only thought of that before buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If you have a college locker use the lock off that and you can save the 7 euro cost. If I only thought of that before buying it.

But wouldnt that leave your college locker open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Of course, take your stuff with you. Most of the time there are only a few books in my locker so it is logistically feasible for someone who does not keep a load of stuff in their locker.

I dont know too much about locks, but I'm sure for €7 you'd get a half decent pad lock, a hell of a lot better than the ****ty combination Crunch lock!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

and not every college has those old skool type lockers.

Crunch say that other types of locks will be cut off, although I don't know if this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

The crunch lockers are crap, I think there's a few who bring their own locker padlock with them. I'd say it would have to be there a while to get removed, like a few days maybe.

Although, I knew a guy in Arts who had his empty locker hijacked while he was at the gym... Someone put their own combo lock onto his arts locker and moved their stuff in :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I've never heard of or seen a non-crunch lock being removed by staff. I'd be surprised if they actually went through with it and had to deal with an irate person.

Slightly related, a guy I know was in the showers in crunch and had left his runners outside his locker. When he came out of the shower they were gone! I've heard of that type of thing happening a few times in my four years there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

tribulus wrote: »
    Slightly related, a guy I know was in the showers in crunch and had left his runners outside his locker. When he came out of the shower they were gone! I've heard of that type of thing happening a few times in my four years there.
    Just his runners! A couple of years back, a guy the keys to his Porsche stolen from his locker in Crunch. The car and 5k in cash in the boot (dodgy!) vanished without trace.

cast_iron wrote: »
    Just his runners! A couple of years back, a guy the keys to his Porsche stolen from his locker in Crunch. The car and 5k in cash in the boot (dodgy!) vanished without trace.

I heard that rumuor too a year or 2 ago don't know if its true though, you'd want to be pretty stupid to leave a Porsche key in a Crunch locker - but I guess its possible!! My mate had his water bottle stolen when he was in the shower and it was on top of his gear bag with his stuff so its not like the guy who nicked it could have mistaken it for his own!

Two other mates had stuff nicked, €400 stolen from one while he was upstairs in the gym and another had his watch and €20 stolen from an unlocked locker when he was in the shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Snakes

I reckon ya just leave a pair of skid marked boxers(or ball stranglers if your so inclined) and a manky looking pair of socks on top or just in front of your gear in the locker. Completely gets rid of the need for locks, sold by crunch or otherwise. Can't think of anyone I know going to crunch in UCD who'd be arsed going through your locker having seen those.
    As an aside ,sincere apologies to all who have accidently opened my locker in crunch over the past year or too! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

farva wrote: »
    I heard that rumuor too a year or 2 ago don't know if its true though, you'd want to be pretty stupid to leave a Porsche key in a Crunch locker - but I guess its possible!! My mate had his water bottle stolen when he was in the shower and it was on top of his gear bag with his stuff so its not like the guy who nicked it could have mistaken it for his own!

Two other mates had stuff nicked, €400 stolen from one while he was upstairs in the gym and another had his watch and €20 stolen from an unlocked locker when he was in the shower.

I guess i better be more vigilant. I use the standard changing rooms and always felt my gear is secure when im in the shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Snakes wrote: »
    I reckon ya just leave a pair of skid marked boxers(or ball stranglers if your so inclined) and a manky looking pair of socks on top or just in front of your gear in the locker. Completely gets rid of the need for locks, sold by crunch or otherwise. Can't think of anyone I know going to crunch in UCD who'd be arsed going through your locker having seen those.
    As an aside ,sincere apologies to all who have accidently opened my locker in crunch over the past year or too! ;)

Lol, thinking outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Crunch as been going seriously downhill recently.

Unhelpful, rude and often plain ignorant reception staff, very few floor staff (often none at all), an enormous and increasing equipment deficit (literally dumbells dissapearing out of the place) and no member guidelines for behaviour etc.

Hopefully gonna get the hell out of there come summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

farva wrote: »
    I heard that rumuor too a year or 2 ago don't know if its true though, you'd want to be pretty stupid to leave a Porsche key in a Crunch locker - but I guess its possible!!

It was a touch careless alright. It definitely happened, I was there when the Gardai arrived and he was giving details. Reception staff filled me in shortly after.

Quite what he was doing with 5k cash in his boot, I'm not sure.

cast_iron wrote: »
    It was a touch careless alright. It definitely happened, I was there when the Gardai arrived and he was giving details. Reception staff filled me in shortly after.

Quite what he was doing with 5k cash in his boot, I'm not sure.

I'll take your word for it so, I always thought that was just one of those UCD rumours.

There used to be a really friendly girl from eastern europe on the desk but she's gone a while now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement