Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom & Live RTE Streaming

Options
  • 30-04-2008 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

HI, I'm really hoping someone can help me with this.

Until recently I could always watch live streams of Champion's League Football matches (etc) through the RTE (live) website:

http://www.rte.ie/live/index.html

A few weeks' ago the little "Realplayer" and "Windows Media Player" buttons under the live stream disappeared and haven't reappeared.
    The only reason I can tell, from RTE's FAQ, as to why my access might be restricted is explained below...

Why is the availability of the service restricted in some cases?

For copyright reasons, in agreement with the associated rights-holder bodies, RTÉ.ie streaming content on the web in some cases can only be accessed from certain territories. Unfortunately users outside these territories will be unable to access this content.

Obviously, I live in Ireland and my ISP is Eircom so I can't see how that would be affecting me.

Anyway, the RTE FAQ says you have to get in touch with your ISP if you've any problems accessing the service. I did this and (surprise, surprise) Eircom tell me it's not their problem and that they can't do anything!

Anybody have any idea why this is happening and how I might sort it out?

I would be very, very grateful.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Are you using any adblocking software in IE or Firefox?
    Its unlikely that Eircom would be seen as an outside of Ireland ISP by the RTE website.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried using another browser? If this was a common problem it it likely that there would be other posts about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

Cabaal, Not that I'm aware of.

dub45, I should have mentioned that I've tried to access it with Firefox and IE - but no joy on either front.

The strange thing is that the WMP and Realplayer links have disappeared.
    Contrast this with the BBC Sport website, which also restricts access - to users in the UK in that case. I have the option of selecting the player I wish to use and only when it tires to connect/buffer does a message appear telling me that it's restricted.

I can't even get that far on RTE! Though I could until very recently and everyone else I know can.

Gah!

Have you tried turning off your firewall briefly:) Have you updated any security stuff lately? Are windows media player and realplayer working ok seperately?

Friend of mine who is a pc 'innocent' recently rang me in a state as his internet access had gone - turned out his Zone Alarm settings had mysteriously changed.

Might be worth messing around in that area and seeing if you can find anything.

Two other relevant Bits from the RTE FAQ:
    I'm in the relevant territory and I can't access the service. Why?
    If you are in the relevant territory but cannot access the content, please contact your ISP directly and advise them of your problem. Your ISP will then make contact with RTÉ.ie.
    Why don't I contact RTÉ.ie directly rather than my ISP if I'm having problems accessing the service?
    The authenticity of each new applicant needs to be checked before access can be enabled. Whether you should be receiving the service will be determined by the location of your IP address. Your ISP will have a record of your IP address and its location.

RTÉ.ie can only accept an application from your ISP to have your IP address included for the service.

My ISP basically told me that they couldn't help so where do I go from there?

• Advertisement

Two other relevant Bits from the RTE FAQ:

My ISP basically told me that they couldn't help so where do I go from there?

If your internet is working ok it is probably reasonable for Eircom to say it is not their problem.

Just another thought - have you tried accessing it via a hotspot where Eircom would not be the isp so that you could see if it is the laptop settings that are causing the problem?

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you tried turning off your firewall briefly:)

Yup! No Joy.
    Have you updated any security stuff lately? Are windows media player and realplayer working ok seperately?

Nope. Yes.

It's headwreckingly frustrating. I should add that I don't have access to TV (by choice) so this is my main option when it comes to watching games (other than going to the pub, but I've got the flu presently). It's a bloody good stream too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

imho from my experience its likely laptop config rather then something Eircom can fix for you, test on a friends connection or something

imho its worth noting that if your on a non-Irish IP you'll get "ROI Only [more info]" under each stream...atleast this is what I get, if the actual stream buttons have disappeared then its another issue I'd say

are you able to watch other streaming content on the RTE website...for example http://www.rte.ie/news/capitald/ I can watch this even though I get ROI Only on the other streams

Just another thought - have you tried accessing it via a hotspot where Eircom would not be the isp so that you could see if it is the laptop settings that are causing the problem?

The object in question is a desktop, so no!

My "no TV" issue complicates this.

• Advertisement

Ok well any friends with laptops that could call over and see if theirs would work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Worth trying a tracert to make sure you're not routing outside of Ireland? Another quick check would be to see if your IP address is officially registered to Eircom. Has been seen in the past where blocks of IP addresses are transferred from one ISP to another but takes a while for the Geo IP info to be updated.

Cabaal wrote: »
    are you able to watch other streaming content on the RTE website...for example http://www.rte.ie/news/capitald/ I can watch this even though I get ROI Only on the other streams

No. I can't watch any live streams - simply because the player buttons aren't there. I can watch archived content fine though, but then that's another issue.

Ok well any friends with laptops that could call over and see if theirs would work?

They could...but probably not in time for tonight, which is when I really want/need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

as someone said, check your ip. I found this site which gives a basic idea where your ip is located. If it's not showing up as ireland complain to eircom..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Try download and install latest java,
    make sure SMIL is registered with real player

RTE website is top heavy with Java and SMIL instead of proper plain links to *.rm stream. Makes using gadgets, Internet radio and phones a pain, even though RTE claim a major reason for the streams is to support these.

Try view page source and search for smil, if it is there your java environment may be the problem.

It the most likely issue if the buttons simply don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It really sound more like a Java issue than IP. Most Sites the links/buttons are still their and it's only when you try to play that you are blocked if an IP issue.

Besides eircom are not NTL or "3".

decob wrote: »
    as someone said, check your ip. I found this site which gives a basic idea where your ip is located. If it's not showing up as ireland complain to eircom..

Thanks. Just did it. Shows up as Irish...so at least we can rule that out. I should add that the Eircom support guy I spoke to seemed only vaguely aware that RTE was the national broadcaster...

No. I can't watch any live streams - simply because the player buttons aren't there. I can watch archived content fine though, but then that's another issue.

If you can't play ANY streams then its nothing to do with eircom and is likely something on the pc, as some of the streams will work outside Ireland as I've explained

watty wrote: »
    Try download and install latest java,
    make sure SMIL is registered with real player

Downloaded and installed latest Java. Hasn't helped. Not sure how to register SMIL with real player - but I can't find "smil" when searching through the page source.

I think you're on to something here though! It may just be a question of making those damn buttons reappear...

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    If you can't play ANY streams then its nothing to do with eircom and is likely something on the pc, as some of the streams will work outside Ireland as I've explained

Basically the entire issue revolves around this page:

http://www.rte.ie/live/index.html

Under the orange "live" button on the right you should, as far as I remember, be seeing realplayer or Windows Media Player buttons. I can no longer see those so can play no streams from this page.

I don't have a problem streaming from other sources. In fact I'm watching live snooker as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

If your Internet connection is fine then it has nothing to do with Eircom. It is your own software issue and Eircom wouldn't be able to help you in the slightest :rolleyes:

Try another browser and ensure that you all have all the necessary plugins installed. Other than someone here calling to your house not much we'll be able to do I'm afraid.

Edit: Are you sure what your trying to watch is even on?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 GasserOfMattoon

I don't know if i can help fix your browser issue but I took the following
    URLs from the page source of the RTE site you linked

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/ngb/rte1-225.asx Windows media Player

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/ngb/rte1-225.smil Realplayer

I was able to stream through Media Player directly by opening File-Open URL in WMP and then pasting in the first URL. Haven't tried it in Realplayer.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

admol hit the nail on the head ,I think. There are no Realplayer or WMP.buttons unless the programme is showing.
    mickzer.

mickzer wrote: »
    admol hit the nail on the head ,I think. There are no Realplayer or WMP.buttons unless the programme is showing.
    mickzer.

ha, had to be something that simple I guess :)

mickzer wrote: »
    mickzer.

Hi again all.

The above may sound like the simple solution but I'm afraid it ain't. Even when a programme is showing the buttons are nowhere to be seen.

Doing my head in!

I was able to stream through Media Player directly by opening File-Open URL in WMP and then pasting in the first URL. Haven't tried it in Realplayer.

Hope this helps

Actually, this seems to be working. Woo hoo!

Many thanks.

Neither of these links are working now...

Not only that but the RTE Live page (http://www.rte.ie/live/index.html) won't even load for me now! Or rather it just keeps trying to load indefinitely (with the error message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" at the bottom of the page).

What the hell? This is the ONLY page I ever have any problems with.

Does anyone have any other RTE links that might work? Please?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Neither of these links are working now...

Not only that but the RTE Live page (http://www.rte.ie/live/index.html) won't even load for me now! Or rather it just keeps trying to load indefinitely (with the error message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" at the bottom of the page).

What the hell? This is the ONLY page I ever have any problems with.

Does anyone have any other RTE links that might work? Please?!

Try this link. Works for my anyway.

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/26gb/rte2-225.asx

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

Why is everybody so concerned about the ISP ? ... it has nothing to do with your real player & media player ... if you installed winamp or any other player, it gonna set itself as "deafult" and the media player & real player button gonna disapear

Advertisement