Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom & Live RTE Streaming

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

sz_danii wrote: »
    Why is everybody so concerned about the ISP ? ... it has nothing to do with your real player & media player ... if you installed winamp or any other player, it gonna set itself as "deafult" and the media player & real player button gonna disapear

I'd think if you read the thread you would realise that we discounted the possibility of the problem lying with his ISP long ago ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

admol wrote: »
    I'd think if you read the thread you would realise that we discounted the possibility of the problem lying with his ISP long ago ;)

i saw that ... but how can anyone blaim the ISP in the first place ..>!??! It`s a software issue !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

People come here and ask because they arn't expert?

If you knew what the problem was, you would be coming here to ask. What's harder to understand is why the people that DO know stuff lurk here and help. It's not like there is any money in it.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Does anyone know which TV stations (or content companies) are offering video content or live streaming to Irish customers over the net.....

So far i have

Channel 4
    RTE
    Sky News
    Euronews
    MTV

Is there any more worth noting?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

I'm having a problem with rte's live streaming aswell. I tried to watch the football tonight but as it was buffering geo blocked was showing beside the download speed.

I've checked my ip address on a few different sites and they are all the same and its says my location is somewhere outside Zurich.

I've only set up my new connection with eircom last night is there any chance i've wrongly configured my wireless router or something with my OS. I'm running windows Vista and my router is a Netopia 2247-02.

Anybody any idea's on what's happened here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Rorser wrote: »
    Does anyone know which TV stations (or content companies) are offering video content or live streaming to Irish customers over the net.....

So far i have

Channel 4
    RTE
    Sky News
    Euronews
    MTV

Is there any more worth noting?

Sky News provide a free low bit rate stream of headlines, and a live higher bitrate stream for those with Sky subscriber accounts (same applies to their Sports channels)

Free one is here
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/livenewsevents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BIackWizard

Ourlad wrote: »
    I'm having a problem with rte's live streaming aswell. I tried to watch the football tonight but as it was buffering geo blocked was showing beside the download speed.

I've checked my ip address on a few different sites and they are all the same and its says my location is somewhere outside Zurich.

I've only set up my new connection with eircom last night is there any chance i've wrongly configured my wireless router or something with my OS. I'm running windows Vista and my router is a Netopia 2247-02.

Anybody any idea's on what's happened here?

Are you using a proxy?

In Firefox the settings are in:
    Tools>Options>Advanced>Network>Settings

"Direct Connection to the Internet" should be selected.

Not sure how to do it in IE

Does anyone know what speed GAA live streams at? Was wondering which eircom speed i should get.

Are you using a proxy?

In Firefox the settings are in:
    Tools>Options>Advanced>Network>Settings

"Direct Connection to the Internet" should be selected.

Not sure how to do it in IE

Tried using a proxy and still gave me a swiss ip. Think i'll just get onto eircom and see if the problem is there end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm in France ATM, and yesterday in the local cyber cafe I could watch 2 of the matches streaming on RTE.ie but not Clare/Limerick, even though all were supposed to be confined to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

I've the exact problem with live RTE streaming on my laptop. Can't even watch archive on the EURO2008 page.

I think it purely a problem with Eircom as I can stream live when I'm on the UCD network without any problem via Windows Media Player.

It all depends on the speed of ur broadband, check it up on speedtest.net. I find it struggles even at 2mb so if there is any interfearance on the line and it desnt even hit 2mb you are gonna have problems.

So i suppose with eircoms 24:1 contention i dont really have a chance no matter which 1 i get!

Cheers

Its not really a question of contention, its more a question of raw speed. Contention may become an issue if you are getting nowhere near what you are paying for (3mb from contended suppliers can drop dramatically for example, I once experienced 1.5mb on a line that was provisioned for 3mb and i know there is far worse cases than that).

The service seems to run fine on a 4mb line (which consistantly runs at 4mb) but a 2mb line (which consistantly runs at 2mb) tends to present problems in terms of clean streaming. There could be other issues at play here (Ping speed, consistency of signal or even a poor broadcast from the station involved) but i do suspect its just raw broadband speed thats needed.

Rorser wrote: »
    Its not really a question of contention, its more a question of raw speed. Contention may become an issue if you are getting nowhere near what you are paying for (3mb from contended suppliers can drop dramatically for example, I once experienced 1.5mb on a line that was provisioned for 3mb and i know there is far worse cases than that).

The service seems to run fine on a 4mb line (which consistantly runs at 4mb) but a 2mb line (which consistantly runs at 2mb) tends to present problems in terms of clean streaming. There could be other issues at play here (Ping speed, consistency of signal or even a poor broadcast from the station involved) but i do suspect its just raw broadband speed thats needed.

I'd say your right, i've only 2mb with eircom and did a speedtest tonight and was only getting 362kbs download speed so i wouldnt have a chance of watching it any way. Have 4mb in work and it plays no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭karlkarlson

does anyone unable to stream rte with an Irish IP run Google accelerator on their PC? If yes, try exiting in the bottom right corner of the screen or even uninstalling it. then refresh the rte screen and see do you've any joy.

Google accelerator has a known issue with youtube videos as well - when it's running the vids often say 'we are sorry this video is unavailable' or something to that effect; again, exiting and refreshing the streaming video does the trick.

does anyone unable to stream rte with an Irish IP run Google accelerator on their PC? If yes, try exiting in the bottom right corner of the screen or even uninstalling it. then refresh the rte screen and see do you've any joy.

Google accelerator has a known issue with youtube videos as well - when it's running the vids often say 'we are sorry this video is unavailable' or something to that effect; again, exiting and refreshing the streaming video does the trick.

The google accelerator and tool bar were causing the problem with rte's streaming in my case.

I just uninstalled everything to do with google and then it worked fine after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Is there any way of bypassing the location restriction so I can watch live streaming in the UK when I'm at Uni?

Advertisement