Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rear gear cluster

Options
  • 30-04-2008 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi all first time post here.
    my qustion is;
    should the rear gear cluster run thrugh with the wheel?

explanation below lol

recently bought a diamond back mo5 MTB from halfords(first mistake?) i got 150 off a 300 euro bike as new model on the way. Did bit of looking came to the conclusion it was a good deal for a beginner.

Anyway, gears were misshifteing a bit and the rear gear cluster had a rock with in it, ie it wasnt running through with the axle.

Eventually they agreeeged to replace the bike under warrenty, but the cluster in new bike is still running out, but gear shift is alot smoother.

should it go back again?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Should the rear gear cluster run thrugh with the wheel?
    Absolutely yes.
    Should it go back again?
    Yes.

It could just be that whoever assembled the bike didn't do a good job tightening the rear cluster but at this stage I'd be looking for my money back. Two dodgey bikes in a row is not acceptable!

Eventually they agreeeged to replace the bike under warrenty...
    If they sell you faulty goods you are entitled to a full refund.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Hermy wrote: »
    Should the rear gear cluster run thrugh with the wheel?
    Absolutely yes.
    Should it go back again?
    Yes.

It could just be that whoever assembled the bike didn't do a good job tightening the rear cluster but at this stage I'd be looking for my money back. Two dodgey bikes in a row is not acceptable!

Eventually they agreeeged to replace the bike under warrenty...
    If they sell you faulty goods you are entitled to a full refund.

no you are wrong.:o

a freewheel will have a wobble in it to help the chain rise and fall.
    this bike is fitted with a freewheel.
    a cassette should run through, but is fitted to more expensive bikes.

the diamond back is a decent run-about.

this is shocking from a halfords point of view, this is definatly not warranty as its the way the bike works, which halfords was this?? because they sound like they know feck all to replace a perfectly good part.:o:)

the gears were jumping because of the cables streching, which happens to ALL new bikes and is why most shops offer a free service after a month or two.

Advertisement