Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem after booting

• 30-04-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My problem has be baffled, When I boot up my computer everything runs fine, and windows starts and works fine for a couple minutes and then just stops working. All icons are unresponsive and all I have is that vista circle spinning around. The mouse still moves around the page fine, so the page isn’t freezing its just unresponsive.

I’ve scanned the drives and it can’t see any problem and refitted the ram in case that was loose but still the same problem, starts fine and opens windows for minutes and then stops working.

Anyone with possible ideas, is it hard drive problems? Memory? or something else? Or any way of diagnosing the problem.

Dell Vista Home premium

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

probably a stupid question, but have you tried using the repair wizard on the windows disk? Vista's one is pretty alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Thanks

No I haven't used it, I have the vista reinstallation disk is it on this?, when I input that disk it starts it self but I don't want to loose any info on the drives unless its a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

BingoBongo wrote: »
    Thanks

No I haven't used it, I have the vista reinstallation disk is it on this?, when I input that disk it starts it self but I don't want to loose any info on the drives unless its a last resort.

You won't lose anything if you use the repair function unless vital files are badly damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

i havent installed vista but i assume its similar to xp.

I'd say it is on the reinstallation disk

When you stick in the cd it will load up all resources then give you the option to install or repair windows. If you select repair it should leave the rest of your files alone.

As long as you dont reformat your drive at any stage you should not lose your data. If you cant get windows going again, stick the drive into another pc, back it up and reformat with a fresh install.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Jesus I never thought there was so many files on a computer.:pac:

I tried the repair wizard on the windows disk but no joy it just rebooted with the same problem and I tried everything on the repair disk, system restore would'ent work and as a last resort because of my little knowledge of Dos from college I tried the command prompt.

ran chkdsk c: /r

An 86545789 files later it repaired a couple of files and I was able to do a system restore to a month ago.

And it worked

• Advertisement
Advertisement