Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem selling my car privately!

Options
  • 30-04-2008 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hello, was wondering if any car mad people would be able to help me!

I own a Toyota Corolla 02 in excellent condition. I currently am selling it at €8,500 which I think is a pretty good price as I paid €9,750 for it last May.
    I have it advertised on carzone.cbg and buyandsell but have not had one single call about it!

Is nobody buying cars at the moments or have I got it over-priced? Need to get rid of it pretty fast!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Alright, well unfortunately, it's a buyers market, there's so many used cars on the market. The only answer to your woes would be to reduce the price. What spec corolla is it? 1.4 petrol? mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hello, was wondering if any car mad people would be able to help me!

I own a Toyota Corolla 02 in excellent condition. I currently am selling it at €8,500 which I think is a pretty good price as I paid €9,750 for it last May.
    I have it advertised on carzone.cbg and buyandsell but have not had one single call about it!

Is nobody buying cars at the moments or have I got it over-priced? Need to get rid of it pretty fast!

You paid €9,750 for it a year ago and now are asking €8,500 for it. No offence but your car has lost more in depreciation than €1,250 over 12 months. You need to review your asking price imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭funky_monkey

Thanks for honest replys! Yeah you're right will have to reduce it

It is a 1.4 Corolla Terra vvTi, 54k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 helpme2fixit

Hi there,
    I also have a car forsale, and has been for approx 4months now! Its a Renault Megane 2000 1.9 diesal, I have reduced it 2or3 times, only had 1 person come to see it!! I think the price is cheap, but maybe the price of Diesal isnt helping as it is going up every day!!!
    I have it on Buy & Sell, and also you should try Carsalad.ie thats free for 1 month. and you can put up pictures. I have mine there too..
    I dont really want to reduce it anymore, I am already losing money on this car, so I will just hold out and hopefully things might pick up. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hi there,
    I also have a car forsale, and has been for approx 4months now! Its a Renault Megane 2000 1.9 diesal, I have reduced it 2or3 times, only had 1 person come to see it!! I think the price is cheap, but maybe the price of Diesal isnt helping as it is going up every day!!!
    I have it on Buy & Sell, and also you should try Carsalad.ie thats free for 1 month. and you can put up pictures. I have mine there too..
    I dont really want to reduce it anymore, I am already losing money on this car, so I will just hold out and hopefully things might pick up. ;)

You might be holding out for a while. How much are you selling it for then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭funky_monkey

carsalad.ie? what a great name for a website!
    yeah I've had it up for sale for 2months and not one call about it.

anyone know how much a garage would offer for it? If I am desperate i will go to one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Hi there,

you will nearly always lose money when you sell a car, they depreciate very quickly.

How much as you looking for? compare that to the asking price of similar cars, if you want to sell you really need to be around the cheapest price.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

I think that alot of people are worried about the effect of the new taxing system. You will need to offer a lower selling price definitely if you want someone to act before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I just sold my car a two weeks ago, luckily in work we have an electronic Bulletin Board, so the buyer saw the ad there.

But if the car hadnt sold by now, I would have advertised in local newspapers, I also would printed out my ad (with a colour photo) and would have put it up in shops around town.

As far as pricing I used the advanced search in carzone and put in my model of car and searched on Private sales only.
    I priced my car near the lower end of the list, if your buying a car your not going to look at the most expensive car , your going to look from cheapest and work your way up.( Just my advice)

• Advertisement

You might be holding out for a while. How much are you selling it for then?

Well its down to €3.800 at the moment!!! what do you think????

Noelie wrote: »
    you will nearly always lose money when you sell a car, they depreciate very quickly.

How much as you looking for? compare that to the asking price of similar cars, if you want to sell you really need to be around the cheapest price.

Its down to €3.800 at moment!! what do you think???

well i think that is way too much. I wouldn't hand over 4k for a 8 year old Megane.
    Renault Megane Classic 1.9L 2000, Leinster Carlow €3800.00
    84k mls, 4 dr, saloon, manual, NCT 05/08, met, silver, ABS, a/c, a/b, c/l, e/m, e/w, immob, p/s, towbar.
    Is this yours? the NCT would put a lot of people off, you should get it renewed now and it will help sell the car as people will atleast get a little better sense of security from buying it.

well i think that is way too much. I wouldn't hand over 4k for a 8 year old Megane.

Is this yours? the NCT would put a lot of people off, you should get it renewed now and it will help sell the car as people will atleast get a little better sense of security from buying it.
    Yeah, thats it,,, I was thinking of doing NCT,, probably would help.. but car is in great condition, inside & out.. so you think still too much???? what would you recommend???? Thanks.:cool:

€3,800 seems expensive for an 8 year old Megane imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

anyone know how much a garage would offer for it? If I am desperate i will go to one!

I'm not sure if that's a viable option at the moment either - most dealerships are absolutely stuffed with stock, they can't sell their pre-owned cars either!

I know our garage would take a car as a trade-in, as it's generating a sale and not inflating our stock, but if someone came in and said "will you buy my car from me", we probably wouldn't take it unless it was particularly desirable and at a particularly good price.

bazz26 wrote: »
    €3,800 seems expensive for an 8 year old Megane imo.

Give me an idea what price!!!! thanks.

I'd probably drop the price to around €3,200 and accept anything around the €3k mark for it.

Well there are a number of 1.4 petrol meganes on Buy and sell for less than 2k, these are the cars you are competing against.

Peaople are going to look at these before they look at yours.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd probably drop the price to around €3,200 and accept anything around the €3k mark for it.

Thats exactly the price I gave to the man that came! €3.200, but he decided against it!! but I agree with you, and think I will put the NCT on it.. would help.. Thanks for advice! :D

• Advertisement

Well there are a number of 1.4 petrol meganes on Buy and sell for less than 2k, these are the cars you are competing against.

Peaople are going to look at these before they look at yours.

I agree,, as I said I think the Diesal is putting people off!! even though I get good mileage, the Diesal is crazy at the moment! also, the cost of Taxing a 1.9 is quite high!! I will put an NCT on it,, and reduce it again,, see what happens.. Thanks for advice... :cool:

A fresh 2 year NCT will definately make the car more appealing to a potential buyer, reduces the risk factor of buying a car with nasty surprises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I only found one on Carzone that matches yours. It's from a dealer (so you have comeback if something goes wrong), it has much lower mileage and it has an NCT for the next two years.

It's priced at €3,250.

You'll need to be significantly below that imho.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=1033869&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Renault%20Megane%2C%20Saloon%2C%20Doors%3A%204%2C%20Engine%20Min%3A%201%2E9L%2C%20Engine%20Max%3A%201%2E9L%2C%20Oldest%3A%202000%2C%20Newest%3A%202000%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=1791689&CFTOKEN=72278103

If you're competing against the petrols, I can buy from a dealer in dublin, again with an NCT (until this Oct), same mileage as yours for €2,500.
    €2,500 also buys me a privately for sale 1.4 with a 2 year NCT.

AudiChris wrote: »
    I only found one on Carzone that matches yours. It's from a dealer (so you have comeback if something goes wrong), it has much lower mileage and it has an NCT for the next two years.

It's priced at €3,250.

You'll need to be significantly below that imho.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=1033869&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Renault%20Megane%2C%20Saloon%2C%20Doors%3A%204%2C%20Engine%20Min%3A%201%2E9L%2C%20Engine%20Max%3A%201%2E9L%2C%20Oldest%3A%202000%2C%20Newest%3A%202000%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=1791689&CFTOKEN=72278103

Thanks, think i know what I have to do now! NCT, and reduce further... Thanks for advice.. have a nice day.:o

Advertisement