Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

messi yay! ronaldo nay!

• 30-04-2008 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

before watching the match last night,the chelsea match saturday and last weeks 1st leg in barcalona i thought to myself before each match that cristiano ronaldo would step up and prove himself as the current greatest player in the world.i like many had been a great critisiser of ronaldo but over this season he has been largely magnificant and im not even a manu fan, having said that has there actually been a game were ronaldo has stepped up to the plate and performed to his greatest talents where it really counted against a big opposition?to my mind i cant think of any..in contrast lionnal messi a wonderfully gifted player is a big game player no matter who the opposition, considering his injuries and lack of match practise one could excuse messi's performances not been up to par but against manu over the 2 legs i felt he was excellent and once again proving far more worthy of been considered the greatest player in the world to those who may consider ronaldo to be at the moment imo..any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

For **** sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol this should be fun.

Sure stick up and oul 'Who's better?' poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Oh god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Eamo, is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

lol

Now folks remember, please dont feed the trolls or you will be ejected from the premises.

• Advertisement

I had a dream last night that Juande Ramos made Kaboul train in a cage with a football made of concrete.

For real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Messi is fantastic- you can tell he's been watching Kandol recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

flanzer wrote: »
    Eamo, is that you?

Damn. Beat me to it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

OP your location says it all for me .:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    That made me laugh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Regardless of his location he is right. Ronaldo was nowhere to be seen in Utds last 3 games, apart of course when he was whinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

these threads are so dull. Ronaldo played his role perfectly last night, IMO. Just because he didnt score or set up a goal doesnt mean he didnt play well. There are more to the game than that. Did he play better than Messi over the two legs? No. But to judge two players respective merits over two games in a 50/60 game season is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thats the thing, most Irish premiership fans will only judge on the 2 games. Those who actually watch both leagues will tell you Messi is a better player than Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I agree with the OP. Although I learned my lesson trying to prove this point in here!

Fact is that Ronaldo is a fantastic player in the Premier League. But to justify all of the unbelievable hype that he attracts he needs to be judged to the highest possible standard and that means that he has to impose himself on big games which he has so far failed to do.

For instance you can make the point that Steven Gerard has been pretty anonymous in some big games but he has also had some amazing performances in other big games. And that is why Gerard is a great player. That is all I ask from Ronaldo. That in some big games he imposes himself and really preforms. He doesn't have to do it in every game but I have yet to see it in any of the games that really matter.

ppl on here give out about Dunphy constantly criticising Ronaldo but they are equally as blinkered but just in the opposite direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Messi hasn't lead his team to anything! Ronaldo brought us the league last year and has done everything he can to do it this year, as well as contributing to our Chamions league campaign.

For all Messi's nice passing yesterday he didn't create one clear cut chance, and had one long range shot on target. Its not like he ripped us apart.

Some perspective would be nice. Ronaldo could end up a double winner this year, while Messi will end up with nothing for another year.

Worlds Best Player = Player With Most Trohpies?

Not imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Some perspective would be nice. Ronaldo could end up a double winner this year, while Messi will end up with nothing for another year.

So what? How does that make Ronaldo a better player?

Djimi Traore won the Champions League in 2005 against Milan who had Maldini in the team. Did that make him a better player than Maldini??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Messi hasn't lead his team to anything! Ronaldo brought us the league last year and has done everything he can to do it this year, as well as contributing to our Chamions league campaign.

Ronaldo did sfa in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Found it funny last night Ronaldo was complaining to the ref about someone diving

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Worlds Best Player = Player With Most Trohpies?

Not imo.

woooo232 wrote: »
    So what? How does that make Messi a better player?

Djimi Traore won the Champions League in 2005 against Milan who had Maldini in the team. Did that make him a better player than Maldini??:confused:

Trying to put some perspective on things. The whole argument with Ronaldo is that he doesn't stand up in big games. Well he has scored against two of the top four this year, and has reguraly performed in the big games for Portugal. His form in the champions league this year has been good(out of position the last two games and he performed well last night).

Its a stupid argument trying to compare these playes and IMO is just another person/people looking for a round of Ronaldo bashing.

• Advertisement

For all Messi's nice passing yesterday he didn't create one clear cut chance, and had one long range shot on target. Its not like he ripped us apart.

Em, what are you actually on? Messi actually has more silverware than ronaldo...

Messi;
    With Argentina National Team:
    FIFA U-20 World Cup: 2005
    With FC Barcelona:
    La Liga: 2004-05, 2005-06
    Supercopa de España: 2005, 2006
    Uefa Champions League: 2005-2006

C. Ronaldo;
    FA Premier League: 2006-2007
    FA Cup: 2004
    Football League Cup: 2006
    Community Shield: 2007

Your argument is not only a stupid one, because clearly it takes 11 men to win trophies, but its also wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Messi won the Primera liga and the Champions League in 2006. Admittedly he was injured in the latter part of the season and missed the final but he was still fantastic that year. (think that was his debut season as well...)

I have generally stayed out of this debate because i think there is no comparison. I think Ronaldo is a class player and by far and away the top player in England this year, i do not think he is the best player in the world however.

One good thing about Ronaldo is that he seems to keep adding aspects to his game, e.g. headed goals, more goals in general.. But i think there are quite a few (obvious) flaws in his game still.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Em, what are you actually on? Messi actually has more silverware than ronaldo...

Messi;
    With Argentina National Team:
    FIFA U-20 World Cup: 2005
    With FC Barcelona:
    La Liga: 2004-05, 2005-06
    Supercopa de España: 2005, 2006
    Uefa Champions League: 2005-2006

C. Ronaldo;
    FA Premier League: 2006-2007
    FA Cup: 2004
    Football League Cup: 2006
    Community Shield: 2007

Your argument is not only a stupid one, because clearly it takes 11 men to win trophies, but its also wrong.

ibh wrote: »
    Messi won the Primera liga and the Champions League in 2006. Admittedly he was injured in the latter part of the season and missed the final but he was still fantastic that year. (think that was his debut season as well...)

I have generally stayed out of this debate because i think there is no comparison. I think Ronaldo is a class player and by far and away the top player in England this year, i do not think he is the best player in the world however.

One good thing about Ronaldo is that he seems to keep adding aspects to his game, e.g. headed goals, more goals in general.. But i think there are quite a few (obvious) flaws in his game still.

Again I was trying to put perspective on things. Messi played a total of nine times in the 04-05 season. And was injuried for the run of the 05-06 campaign where Ronaldinho lead them to both titles. I know it takes eleven men, but people insist on comparing players one on one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ill respond to this stupid thread once, no offense OP but this has been done to death

I have a sore head after the game last night, the atmosphere inside Old Trafford was amazing and it was one hell of a night on the streets of Manchester anyway! so forgive me if im a bit rambly

Ronaldo was again playing as the target man last night, he did his job superbly from what i saw, he provided the perfect out ball, people saying he did nothing? its stupid, he could have easily had 3 assists last night if his teammates finished better.....he tied up at least two defenders every time the ball came into his vicinity

he played a much more intelligent game then i have ever seen him play

Tevez for me was the outstanding performer, but that was no surprise, he is amazing also.....but Ronnie did his stuff last night, he was asked once again to play out of position and he rose to the challenge

Messi was great to watch too, but from what im reading he is getting praised unduly and for whatever reason is being lauded as a God or something?? i dunno, did you all miss him taking a dive to try win a penalty in the second half last night?? All people go on about is Ronaldo in a negative way and praise Messi

its not exactly fair, they are both fantastically gifted footballers and we should just be happy at getting to watch both!!! If Messi was playing a lone striker role i dont know if he would have seen as much of the ball, If United had control over the game and Ronaldo was playing on the wing i dont know if he would have been able to showcase his flair talents more.....

he was asked to do a job for the team, and despite people saying he is selfish and bla bla, he tracked back last night, he was not as lazy as some make out, he was constantly shouting at the team to push up when we cleared a ball so as they wouldnt defend too deep, and he did the simple things well, he was very good last night if you really watched him

obviously people dont like to admit it, but meh. who cares

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Again I was trying to put perspective on things. Messi played a total of nine times in the 04-05 season. And was injuried for the run of the 05-06 campaign where Ronaldinho lead them to both titles. I know it takes eleven men, but people insist on comparing players one on one.

Give it up,

Messi is a different class to Ronaldo.Ronaldo isnt better cause Messi has been injured twice.

kryogen wrote: »
    they are both fantastically gifted footballers and we should just be happy at getting to watch both!
    Well said Kryogen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well he has scored against two of the top four this year,

Hopefully he won't score against all four of the top four anytime soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'd rather take Ronaldo for my team. More complete player imo.

Oh god please lock this now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

To be fair their both class players, Messi is a better player with the dribbling, movement etc, Ronaldo is better finisher and provides more goals.
    Both top class if you ask me and no point comparing on last 2 encounters, Ronaldo was played as a lone striker then a Striker there last night, not his best position IMO which is attacking winger and cutting inside ala Messi's role last 2 games.

chdpoker wrote: »
    Give it up,

Messi is a different class to Ronaldo.Ronaldo isnt better cause Messi has been injured twice.

Where did I say who was better?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

doesnt Cristiano Ronaldo have a lovely bottom?

Sure, dont they all have lovely bottoms?

I have no arse :(

always wish'd i had-maybe i should get arse implants :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ronaldo's better than Torres + Messi + Fabregas put together -- FACT.

Lock the thread now, the final verdict has been reached.

Jazzy wrote: »

Ahh now Ted, come on!
    DaveMcG wrote: »
    Ronaldo's better than Torres + Messi + Fabregas put together -- FACT.
    You forgot to add Kaka to that list :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Kaka?? whos that???:confused:

oh yeah that Brazilian lad, hes a has been sure, only a flash in the pan... didnt do it consistently :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Jazzy wrote: »

Careful now.

Advertisement