Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Assurance - Any better alternatives?

Options
  • 30-04-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Myself, and my wife are in our early thirties, we have 2 kids, 1 a teenager, and one younger. We currently have life assurance via a "Total Care" policy with New Ireland Assurance.

We are covered for Life Cover (mortgage amount), critical illness (20k), and also children are covered.

To be honest I don't even fully understand all the in's and out's of it, but we have had this policy for 2 years, and at the time obtained it via a broker who said this was like the "Rolls Royce" of policies.

It's only costing at the moment just over 70euro a month, however I was just wondering what folks thought, in terms of the policy or if I should be looking at something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Totalcare is a Unit Linked Whole of Life policy which is flexible insofar as one can increase/ decrease death benefit / serious illness and/or premium subject to minimums. Generally, the policy is "reviewed" after 10 years to ensure that the premium is sufficient to pay for the benefits. Each monthly premium buys units for the "Managed fund", the dearer the units, the less number of units that each premium purchases. The cost for the life cover/serious illness is taken from the units purchased. The actual cost increases as one gets older. Premiums are not guaranteed and could rise. Term Insurance (Level term) on the other hand has guaranteed cover and guaranteed premiums for guaranteed term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

broker2008 wrote: »
    Totalcare is a Unit Linked Whole of Life policy which is flexible insofar as one can increase/ decrease death benefit / serious illness and/or premium subject to minimums. Generally, the policy is "reviewed" after 10 years to ensure that the premium is sufficient to pay for the benefits. Each monthly premium buys units for the "Managed fund", the dearer the units, the less number of units that each premium purchases. The cost for the life cover/serious illness is taken from the units purchased. The actual cost increases as one gets older. Premiums are not guaranteed and could rise. Term Insurance (Level term) on the other hand has guaranteed cover and guaranteed premiums for guaranteed term.

So would you recommend this policy or are there better alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

As you have already taken policy out, you probably would be better off leaving it in place.

Advertisement