Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connolly Hospital Up A certain Type Of Creek

Options
  • 30-04-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

From RTE.ie just now

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0430/health.html
    Bed closures, the cancellation of surgery and a freeze on employing student nurses are planned at one of Dublin's main public hospitals, in order to stay within budget this year.

According to the break-even plan for Connolly Hospital in Dublin the hospital intends to pull services back to 2006 levels.

It warns that the measures will have consequences for patient services.

AdvertisementThis means longer waiting lists for operations, delays in outpatients and may also affect waiting times in the accident and emergency department.

In a letter to the Health Services Executive, Connolly Hospital management says it will also have to review provision of surgery and pathology tests to Our Lady's Hospital Navan Hospital,.

Connolly Hospital says it will be necessary if it does not get the funding as services are already over-stretched.

The plan proposes the closure of a surgical day ward for a month, and the out-patients department for several weeks during the summer and later in the year.

It also plans to maximise the use of private beds to generate income.

The teaching hospital serves a population of around 300,000 people in the west Dublin, Meath and Kildare catchment area and was given a budget this year of €102m.

It provides acute medical, surgical and psychiatric services, as well as long-stay care, day-care, outpatient, diagnostic and support services.

Looks like paying for the the car park is going to be the least of our worries guys......anyone got a spare paddle?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So much for the goverment agreeing to expand the hospital and suport the added services if the land sale went head.

Looks like there is no chance of a peds unit there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

like quite a few other places I can see Connolly becoming a glorified day surgery unit despite all the refitting thats been done.

The population of D15 shouldn't be standing for this. We've got the possible future Taniste as one of our elected officials for God's sake. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a version of the stupid parish pump politics that is all to common in this country, but cutting back on services like this, in such a heavily populated area is going to be disasterous, whats it going to take? people dying?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Yep, these actions are set to take place sooner rather than later.

There have been numerous 'cut back' actions taken over the last few months, so this comes as no 'new news' for staff. Unfortunatley for the patient, it will impact them as A&E is seriously over crowded at the moment which is also leading to the cancellation of surgery and a shortage of beds.

Impact trade union members will also be going on a 'Work To Rule' strike from the 21st May. This is going to include Social workers, physio terapists & managerial employee's and will hopefull cover the clerical officer aswell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Looks like there is no chance of a peds unit there at all.

Is that a paediatric unit. I thought the area was well enough served by Temple St. God knows I was taken there often enough myself as a child, now I bring my own offspring there. Never had a problem. Always found the staff and service exellent.

Murt

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

there was nor is ever any intention of a peadiatric unit in connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

not in the sense of a proper in patient ward no, but wasn't there talk of a paeds A&E type unit when the new big flashy Paeds Hospital gets built on the Mater site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

When are they going to start building that?

Sure look at Harney's reaction to the staff at the new Cork A+E saying they don't have enough money to run it at night. Is the above any surprise.

Advertisement