Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen new C5 prices

Options
  • 30-04-2008 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Citroen dealers are getting new C5 prices and specs today at the cars official launch in Kilkenny. I'm looking forward to seeing how aggressive/greedy the prices are going to be. It's a rough time to launch a new model with prices due to change so soon, so expect more Renault type confusion. Whatever happens expect to see a lot of 1.6HDI's C5's on the roads in July.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

When Hyundai launched the i10 recently, they simply launched it with "July prices". Presumably that's what Citroen will do.

The Laguna confusion arose from the fact that Renault launched the 1.5 dCi at a lower price until such time as they could get a 1.6 petrol in for Ireland, and then put up the price of the 1.5 dCi once the 1.6 made it here. The 1.5 dCi of course has gone down again in price for July.

Whether they give us July prices today or not, it will certainly be quite a bit dearer than it's predecessor, given that they're selling it on the basis of it's apparent German-ness for "quality" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

E92 wrote: »
    Whether they give us July prices today or not, it will certainly be quite a bit dearer than it's predecessor, given that they're selling it on the basis of it's apparent German-ness for "quality" etc.

As far as i remember (too lazy to look it up) the old C5 wasn't mega-cheap in terms of recommended 'list' price. It was the attractive credit offers and substantial discounts that drove the price down.

Anyway, the C5 is very poor for CO2 - I think the 1.6HDi is the same band as Mazda's lighter new 6 138bhp 2 litre.

Irish people are so terrified of extra road tax and so grasping for a '08 plate at-all-costs that we will continue to see a pletora of small, underpowered enginges in bigger cars...

CO2 is not good at all in the new C5, Toyota give a lower CO2 rating for their 2.0 D-4D Avensis than Citroen can manage with their 1.6 HDi C5.

Similarly VW and Mazda have 2.0 diesels with similar power to the 2.0 HDi C5 but in the same VRT band as the 1.6 HDi C5. The 1.6 HDi C5 is in the same VRT band as the new 2.0 TFSI petrol Audi A4(though virtually every other diesel in the class is also in the same VRT band too).

The 2.0 HDi is in the same VRT band as a Mazda6 2.0 petrol. You know things are not good when a rival car with the same engine size is in the same CO2 band but runs on petrol rather than diesel. The 2.2 HDi is worse than an Audi A4 2.7 TDI but the Audi has 6 cylinders and 0.5 litres more to be feeding. Similarly the BMW 335d manages the same VRT band as the C5 2.2 HDi but that's a 3.0 6 pot with an Automatic gearbox rather than a 2.2 4 pot manual.

I'll spare Citroen's blushes by not mentioning how bad the petrols do!

It's disappointing because usually when a new model comes it, it's better for CO2 than the model it replaced)and this new C5 ain't).

Undoubtedly the 1.6 will be the volume seller.

How long will it be before manufacturers start selling an all diesel line up for cars like the C5, C4, BMW 3 series, 5 series, 7 series, any MPV or 4X4 in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

How are the CO2 emissions that bad? I've a 1.6 diesel c4 (and think its the best car I've owned)and the emissions are in the second lowest band(125g/KM). The C5 engine can't be that different particularly if it's the same size??

Weight is the biggest enemy to lowering CO2 emissions. That's why the clever clogs in the EU decided to make sure that ccars would get a lot heavier by imposing all those pedestrian safety rules which make cars less aerodynamic and heavier because they're so worried about CO2 and think that car makers have this special ability to overcome the laws of physics:rolleyes:. My guess is that the C5 has piled on a lot of pounds and the increase in CO2 emissions are the consequence of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It must be the weight, the new C5 has worse CO2 than the outgoing model with the same engine. Now THAT is progress.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

C5 is a big heavy car, hence presumably the higher co2 emmissions?

The exact same engine will be ultra low emmissions in the forthcoming Focus ECOnetic (115g/km).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

they're selling it on the basis of it's apparent German-ness for "quality" etc.

Ah, the fiat stilo approach, try and pretend it's german. Guaranteed success ;).

C5 is a big heavy car, hence presumably the higher co2 emmissions?

The exact same engine will be ultra low emmissions in the forthcoming Focus ECOnetic (115g/km).
    Speaking of low emissions versions of cars, the Bluemotion Passat, Polo and Golf won't be sold here until 2009. Very clever that, considering these 3 cars are already on sale in the UK, and in the case of the Passat, gets the car down into 16% VRT(the non Bluemotion is 20% VRT), like the Mondeo ECOnetic which is now on sale as a hatchback and Estate(why no saloon Ford:(?) and gets into 16% VRT, meanwhile the Golf gets down a band too from the standard one into 14% VRT, and of course the Polo Bluemotion is the only new car I know of that is under 100 g/km for CO2.

I'd like to meet the person in the VW sales department that wants to lose sales for his/her company. What were VW thinking? The sooner VW start importing their cars here the better.

The Passat is also getting the new common rail 2.0 diesel soon(well for the UK at any rate:() too.

Buy a C4- plenty of room, all the extras and low emissions, if you want the extra poke get the style plus which is 110 bhp as opposed to 95 for the standerd model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Anybody hear what the pricing on the C5 is like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Speaking of low emissions versions of cars, the Bluemotion Passat, Polo and Golf won't be sold here until 2009. Very clever that, considering these 3 cars are already on sale in the UK, and in the case of the Passat, gets the car down into 16% VRT(the non Bluemotion is 20% VRT), like the Mondeo ECOnetic which is now on sale as a hatchback and Estate(why no saloon Ford:(?) and gets into 16% VRT, meanwhile the Golf gets down a band too from the standard one into 14% VRT, and of course the Polo Bluemotion is the only new car I know of that is under 100 g/km for CO2.

I'd like to meet the person in the VW sales department that wants to lose sales for his/her company. What were VW thinking? The sooner VW start importing their cars here the better.

The Passat is also getting the new common rail 2.0 diesel soon(well for the UK at any rate:() too.

Good work as usual E92!
    Hard to believe alright that VW are not selling the new bluemotion cars until '09. My only answer to that is stock. They know that a small market like Ireland can be forced to take the rest of the non-bluemotion stock. Remember that Ireland has "aprox" the same size car market as two citys in the UK.
    If the UK dealer Network kicked up about a lack of stock, VW would sit up and take notice. Its a huge market (for rhd cars) in Europe. Ireland however, is a different box of frogs. They really couldn't care, once the dealer network in the UK is ok.
    They can just pawn off the stock in Ireland and say "not available until '09".
    Power in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

CO2 Emissions for the 1.6HDi are 149 g/km. Not class leading, but not as bad as some of you are making out. It falls comfortably into band C after July (20% VRT, €290 road tax). Isn't a Mondeo 1.8 TDCi Zetec for example in the next band above?

Prices from €27,700 up to just under @50k (for the 2.7 HDi Exclusive). The best seller will probably be the 1.6 HDi Dynamique which is just under €33k now, but expect nearly €2k off in July. Or even before that perhaps :)

By the way, if you want to know what its like to drive, try a Peugeot 407..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Saloon:

1.8i Ambiance (5sp man), E, €26690; 1.8i Dynamique (5sp man), E, €28490
    1.6HDi Ambiance (5sp man), C, €30090; 1.6HDi Dynamique (5sp man), C, €31890
    2.0HDi Dynamique (6sp man), D, €35490.

All of the above with metal suspension.

2.0HDi Exclusive (6sp man), D, €39090.
    2.0HDi Dynamique Auto (6sp), E, €38090; 2.0HDi Exclusive Auto (6sp), E, €41090
    2.2HDi Dynamique (6sp), E, €39490; 2.2HDi Exclusive (6sp man), E, €42490
    2.7HDi V6 Exclusive Auto, F, €48290.

All the above with Hydractive suspension.

Tourer:

1.6HDi Ambiance (5sp man), C, €31690; 1.6HDi Dynamique (5sp man), C, €33490.
    2.0HDi Dynamique (6sp man), D, €37090.

All the above with metal suspension.

2.0HDi Dynamique Auto, F, €39690
    2.0HDi Exclusive (6sp man), D, €40690; 2.0HDi Exclusive Auto, F, €42690.
    2.2HDi Dynamique (6sp man), E, €31090; 2.2HDi Exclusive (6sp man), E, €44090
    2.7HDi V6 Exclusive Auto, F, €49890.

All the above with Hydractive suspension.

Thanks for the info crosstownk. Wow the mark up on the diesels is pretty big over the petrols(though the diesels have a big mark up on the petrols in the continent as well). Why are they launching with pre July pricing? Wouldn't it have made more sense to launch with July pricing, considering that BMW knew what they were going to charge for existing models back at the start of last month for July?

What are the specs like? I'm guessing that Ambiance is similar to a base spec anything else out there, and the Dynamique matches say a Mondeo Zetec with the Exclusive having plenty of kit like multi zone climate control, cow skin(leather) etc?

The fact that this time it's a saloon rather than a hatchback will be a big help to Citroen when trying to sell it here.
    cashmni1 wrote: »
    If the UK dealer Network kicked up about a lack of stock, VW would sit up and take notice. Its a huge market (for rhd cars) in Europe. Ireland however, is a different box of frogs. They really couldn't care, once the dealer network in the UK is ok.
    They can just pawn off the stock in Ireland and say "not available until '09".
    Power in numbers.

I disagree with you here. VW are the third biggest seller here after Ford and Toyota. I would like to think that we are a bit more important to VW than what you are saying:D! In any event the UK is having war with VW because VW won't build the TSI petrol in the Golf in enough volume, and VW have started re-selling the 1.6 FSI in lieu of it. I wonder though has the delay of the Bluemotion models got anything to do with the impending changeover in October from MDL to VW importing the cars themselves?
    CO2 Emissions for the 1.6HDi are 149 g/km. Not class leading, but not as bad as some of you are making out. It falls comfortably into band C after July (20% VRT, €290 road tax). Isn't a Mondeo 1.8 TDCi Zetec for example in the next band above?

No, the Mondeo 1.8 is also a band C car. But they now sell an ECOnetic model with no loss in power(the equivalent of a Bluemotion VW/ e model Audi etc) and that's in VRT band B(16% VRT, €150 road tax, the only car in the class bar the 1.5 dCi Laguna that manages this feat now that we know VW won't be bringing in the Bluemotion Passat till next year at the earliest).

Thanks for the info crosstownk. Wow the mark up on the diesels is pretty big over the petrols(though the diesels have a big mark up on the petrols in the continent as well). Why are they launching with pre July pricing? Wouldn't it have made more sense to launch with July pricing, considering that BMW knew what they were going to charge for existing models back at the start of last month for July?

It's most likely that they were priced with July pricing in mind. Remember that any special orders will not arrive until after July 1st. I'd be quite surprised if anyone at Citroën Ireland priced HDi models based on the current VRT/Tax regime. But I suppose it's not unthinkable that July prices will be offered ahead of schedule - every other manufacturer is at it!
    E92 wrote:
    What are the specs like? I'm guessing that Ambiance is similar to a base spec anything else out there, and the Dynamique matches say a Mondeo Zetec with the Exclusive having plenty of kit like multi zone climate control, cow skin(leather) etc?

Ambiance:

ESP with traction control
    ABS with EBD & EBA
    7 airbags - front, lateral front, roof, driver's knee
    Cruise control & speed limiter
    Front & rear electric windows
    Heated electric door mirrors
    Remote central locking
    Deadlocks
    Climate control with rear airvents
    CD with MP3 function
    Central front armrest
    16" steel wheels
    Back lower trim strips on bumpers/doors

Dynamique adds the following:

Dual zone climate control with pollution sensor
    Front fog lights (board.ie users won't need these :D)
    Auto lights
    Auto wipers
    Electrochrome mirror
    Drivers seat lumbar adjustment
    Passenger seat height adjustment
    Leather steering wheel
    Central rear armrest
    Dual-tuner CD with MP3 function
    Electrically folding rear view mirrors
    Chrome lower trim strips on bumpers/doors
    Chrome lower intake surround
    17" Alloys

Exclusive adds the following:

Half leather upholstery
    Hydractive III+ suspension
    Rear parking sensors
    17" 'Baltique' alloy wheels.
    Tyre pressure sensors :eek:
    Laminated acoustic lateral windows
    Electric parking brake
    Hill start assist
    Electric front seats
    Indexable rear view mirrors
    Lumiere lighting pack
    Chrome window trim
    Front and rear mats
    Colour display screens

E92 wrote:
    The fact that this time it's a saloon rather than a hatchback will be a big help to Citroen when trying to sell it here.

Yeah - I think that will help. But I think that the quality of this model will help sales to a greater extent. This model is a new departure for Citroën.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

smashing car i think ill be trading my 1.6hdi 407 for one of the 1.6hdi c5s next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Driving a 1.6iHDi Dynamique Demo at the moment. First impression - very impressive car, looks good from all angles, ride firmer but fine over back roads, handling much tidier and interior much better then old model, really supportive seats. Good spec on Dynamique which will be the best selling model. Expect limited supply for first few months due to success in other markets - dealers have been allocated units based on previous sales. The bigger dealers will have less then 20 cars for delivery in May/June.

Incidentially July price list issued today. I haven't got it to hand but this model will drop by about €2000 and July prices are available now.

King Kelly wrote: »
    Driving a 1.6iHDi Dynamique Demo at the moment. First impression - very impressive car, looks good from all angles, ride firmer but fine over back roads, handling much tidier and interior much better then old model, really supportive seats. Good spec on Dynamique which will be the best selling model. Expect limited supply for first few months due to success in other markets - dealers have been allocated units based on previous sales. The bigger dealers will have less then 20 cars for delivery in May/June.

Incidentially July price list issued today. I haven't got it to hand but this model will drop by about €2000 and July prices are available now.
    Makes one wonder why they bothered to launch it with pre July pricing then.

Will they still sell the petrols after July? There must surely be a very small difference between the 1.8 petrol and 1.6 HDi after July.

Dynamique model seems to have everything worth having. Ambiance is a little mean, steel wheels in this day and age:eek:? Come off it!

1.6HDi Dynamique will be the best seller.

Price was pre July because it had to be. Better to launch now and get May orders for July delivery. Most punters who order in July and are told September delivery will most likely wait til 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Makes one wonder why they bothered to launch it with pre July pricing then.

Can only presume it's to be transparent regarding VRT changes. Current VRT on this model mid €7000's, after July mid €5000's. Citroen are crediting dealers for difference in VRT for May and June.

HDi's account for over 95% C5 sales so petrol pricing is fairly irrelevent.

Almost all models availible initially will be Dynamiques. Exclusives will push you into 2.0 territory.

Agree with you about the steel wheels! and 16" rims will be lost in the big wheel arches. Leaving the wheels aside though thats not a bad base spec, and very good on safety like all Citroens.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Better to launch now and get May orders for July delivery.
    Which is exactly why it made no sense to launch with pre July pricing, though as noted it's already been corrected.

King Kelly wrote: »
    Can only presume it's to be transparent regarding VRT changes. Current VRT on this model mid €7000's, after July mid €5000's. Citroen are crediting dealers for difference in VRT for May and June.

HDi's account for over 95% C5 sales so petrol pricing is fairly irrelevent.

Almost all models availible initially will be Dynamiques. Exclusives will push you into 2.0 territory.

Agree with you about the steel wheels! and 16" rims will be lost in the big wheel arches. Leaving the wheels aside though thats not a bad base spec, and very good on safety like all Citroens.

Didn't realise the paraffin stoves were that popular already! Oh well there's definately going to be zero sales of petrol C5s after July now, I know that for certain:)!

Ok I take back my point re July pricing. Nothing wrong with transparency!

Citroen will be using the recently designed BMW Prince petrol engine shortly, any ideas what the first model will be? Surely there will be a new C2/C3 in the not too distant future?

The Exclusive model is extremely well equipped though it's a pity it doesn't have full leather considering how comprehensive the spec list is in every other area.

Which is exactly why it made no sense to launch with pre July pricing

I know what you mean, but as the launch was last Tuesday, it had to be launched with current taxation levies incorporated. But these, I'd imagine, are purely theoretical as the July price is king.

The Exclusive model is extremely well equipped though it's a pity it doesn't have full leather considering how comprehensive the spec list is in every other area.

Full leather is available on the Dynamique and the Exclusive as an option. Not sure of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

smashing car i think ill be trading my 1.6hdi 407 for one of the 1.6hdi c5s next year.

'Smashing' looking car but that's about it...

I can't get away from the fact that anyone would consider a big heavy car with a weedy 110bhp 1.6 diesel that is in same C02 band as 140bhp rivals.

Like it or not CO2 is a huge consideration for the forseeable future and the C5 is a HUGE disappointment in this regard. Add to that traditional reliability/residual worries about big French cars and the fact that it's based on the 407 which has been around about 4 years now:(. Makes the C5 a bit of a turkey...

Smashing car my arse. 'Tis is a pity though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

Tyre pressure sensors

What's so special about that? my 2005 407 has that?? & thats just a bog standard comfort model...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Checkout the Polo Bluemotion here fab figures 74mpg
    http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vehicleDetails.asp?id=20690

Must agree with the guy concerning the Citroen C4 HDi, I've had it 3 years and done 78000km and have had no problems at all (touch wood) getting 1250km from a 60 litre tank

Glad to hear it, I've had my C4 3 months and already have nearly 13,000 Km on it. Getting around 1000K to the tank cos i'm mainly on the M4 motorway so always in and around 120kph, gonna try it on the old n4 road during the Summer see can I set a new fuel consumption record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

New C5 2.0 hdi 36390 euro now 33500 in July

Advertisement