Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen new C5 prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Current official pricing now available at www.citroen.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 1.6 HDi might well be the best seller but it's certainly not going to be a good choice of engine. 0-100 km/h in a 13.4 seconds like:eek:! The 2.0 is not a lot better at 0-100 in a tepid 11.6 seconds. Not even the 2.2 HDi can get in under the 10 second barrier(it does it in 10 seconds dead though). Only the V6 has any hope of decent performance, 0-100 arrives in 9.6 for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Agreed, E92.

But I get the distinct impression that Citroën are focusing on build quality (unmistakeably Greman) rather than performance. Reliabilty is proven with the HDi but Citroën residuals are not so. The pairing of reliability with quality (and newfound decent looks) may help to make the 2008 C5 slightly more expensive in 3 years time.......

What killed Citroen with residuals was the Cashback thing(admittedly this idea was not dreamt up by the Gowan Group but was forced on them by Citroen HQ in France).

Ever since that started sales have slumped. I mean Pugs are still big sellers here and they're more or less the same cars.

The new C5 looks fantastic, and the shots of the interior show a much higher quality interior than before.

It's a smart move by Citroen to make the C5 a saloon. The demand for these type of cars is dwindling in the continent(they're still big sellers here of course) and in the UK it costs no more to run an Audi A4/BMW 3 series etc than a Mondeo/C5 etc for a company car driver and since these things are big sellers for company car drivers this has knock on affects over in the UK as well.

Upmarket or even semi upmarket family saloons are still big business though, as Honda or VW will tell you. The emphasis on German quality etc is also a clever move too. I hope the car will last though, the old C5 is hardly a bastion for reliability.

I notice that there's only 1 petrol engine available. Personally I'm surprised that they even bothered bringing it in for us now that petrol is redundant from July for most cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

On the performance thing, the 0-100 km/h thing is largely irrelevant to real time driving, particularly for diesels. The mid-range acceleration from 50 km/h to 80 km/h would be a better indicator. Having driven the 1.6 HDi, granted its no rocket ship, but it has more than enough grunt to execute a fairly rapid overtaking manoeuvre, and definitely feels faster than an equivalent 1.6 petrol engine in a car of this size.

From what I'm hearing there is a strong likelyhood that Citroen will not be importing any petrol C5s after July.

Re the saloon thing and going slightly off topic, I wonder are we starting at last to move away from our fixation with a boot. Just that with the new Mondeo, there seems to be a lot more hatchback models around than booted versions, whereas the opposite was the case with the old model. Which in that car's case is a good thing as the opening on the booted model is very narrow; the hatch is way more practical. Of course the fact that the hatch and saloon are visually very similar might be a lot to do with it.

• Advertisement

Re the saloon thing and going slightly off topic, I wonder are we starting at last to move away from our fixation with a boot. Just that with the new Mondeo, there seems to be a lot more hatchback models around than booted versions, whereas the opposite was the case with the old model. Which in that car's case is a good thing as the opening on the booted model is very narrow; the hatch is way more practical. Of course the fact that the hatch and saloon are visually very similar might be a lot to do with it.
    Well down here in Cork there are loads of Mk4 Mondeos with a boot compared to those with a hatchback!(for some reason a lot of the hatchback models are upmarket Ghia and Titanium X models) Though as you noted, there does indeed seem to be a higher number of hatchbacks than before compared to saloons.

Anyhow all the non prestige makers of family saloons seem to have decided that hatchbacks are on the way out. Citroen have given up on it, Toyota's next Avensis due next year will not be offered as a hatchback, and Renault will have a Laguna saloon for the very first time next year. That only leaves Ford, Mazda and Renault with a hatchback offering IIRC from next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

E92 wrote: »
    Anyhow all the non prestige makers of family saloons seem to have decided that hatchbacks are on the way out. Citroen have given up on it, Toyota's next Avensis due next year will not be offered as a hatchback, and Renault will have a Laguna saloon for the very first time next year. That only leaves Ford, Mazda and Renault with a hatchback offering IIRC from next year.

Wonder if this is because of the success of the prestige brands in penetrating the traditional mainstream manufacturer market? Will be interesting to see how that will pan out in the UK - don't think I've ever seen a saloon Avensis (other than Irish reg ones :)) over there.

Will the new Opel Insignia be in hatch form?

Wonder if this is because of the success of the prestige brands in penetrating the traditional mainstream manufacturer market? Will be interesting to see how that will pan out in the UK - don't think I've ever seen a saloon Avensis (other than Irish reg ones :)) over there.

Will the new Opel Insignia be in hatch form?
    Toyotas aren't really as popular over there, they sell only 4 times more Toyotas in the UK than here even though they have 15 times the population. We have a myopic obsession with Toyota in this country. I just don't see what the plain people of Ireland see in them.

All the offical photos of the Insignia thus are show a saloon only.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

E92 wrote: »
    The 2.0 is not a lot better at 0-100 in a tepid 11.6secndsQUOTE]

I think you will find that figure is for the auto 2.0 hdi, the 6 speed does the sprint in a blistering 10.5 seconds

I sourced my performance figures from Citroen's German website and they say that the Automatic HDi 135 does 0-100 in 12.8 seconds, while the manual does what I said yesterday!

Though Citroen.ie agrees with you:D! 10.5 is still not fast, I own a car that does the same sprint in 10.4(no it's not the car to the left of this post cause that one does it in 9.4 seconds), and it certainly is not fast, admittedly it's petrol rather than diesel but it's all the same thing really, just cause most people can't drive petrols properly(give them loads of revs and change up towards the redline when you want to get some performance) doesn't mean they're slow you know;)!

• Advertisement
Advertisement