Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do doctor's notes make much difference to a lecturer?

• 30-04-2008 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Due to a thyroid problem, I have been feeling very tired and lacking in concentration lately. I'm in my second year of uni. So far this year I have passed all my coursework though my marks have been very low, just scraping through. Today I handed in a doctor's note in which he explains my symptoms and asks them to take it into account. I was just wondering, how much do lecturers take these notes into account? What difference will it make to the way they mark?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I was just wondering, how much do lecturers take these notes into account? What difference will it make to the way they mark?

At the end of the day, lecturers are human.

I have corrected exam papers and sat through exam board meetings which discuss student's marks/performance. If illness has been brought to the attention of the school/department head, and it is deemed the student isn't taking the piss, then staff generally do take it into consideration.

However, as exams are corrected prior to this, it is most unlikely that the student will be given "sympathy" marks. It really is only at the exam board stage where leniency is applied.

I always correct exams without knowing who the student is. Remember, in most third level institutions, you don't write your name on the exam paper, only your student number. So exams are generally corrected without consideration of an individual's circumstances. It's only when overall course work (i.e. practicals/assignments, etc.) are compiled for a final mark are individual circumstances considered.

The bottom line is exam boards are on the student's side, unless the student is taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

So, if my overall mark was slightly below what I need to go into the third year, I may get through anyway? But my marks won't be increased?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So, if my overall mark was slightly below what I need to go into the third year, I may get through anyway?

Yes, you might. But it does of course depend on the institution and, I would argue, how well the lecturing staff are aware of your situation.
    But my marks won't be increased?

Your exam marks may not, but your overall mark may.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Quick Question:
    I have a doctors note atm..Will I give it to my lecturer directly who I know will be correcting my exam that I sat on Tues or will I hand it into the education office who apparently 'deal' with that kinda stuff, however can I be sure that she will be informed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Talk to her first, and she'll tell you what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

At my uni illnesses affecting coursework are dealt with by the course director, those affecting exam performance are dealt with by the exam board. A doctor's note won't change your mark as such unless you are literally borderline, (say you get 38 but you need 40 to pass); if you got 60 but are capable of 70 it makes no difference. They don't give sympathy marks as such but may pass you when technically you haven't gotten enough marks to pass (the 38 instead of 40).

As it's an ongoing problem you have it would be worth your while to go and discuss it with your course director or someone similar anyway. Lecturers are there to help you, but they need to know about the problem to do that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 resc

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The bottom line is exam boards are on the student's side, unless the student is taking the piss.

While I would agree with most of this, I think the more likely situation is that a student will be allowed repeat without prejudice. But I agree that the more information you can provide to the exam board the better.

Advertisement