Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Could this be right?

Options
  • 30-04-2008 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

My younger brother prepared, prepared and prepared for his driving test which took place today. He's a very good driver and as I said was very prepared. He came out of the test today - he didn't get it - there were no faults on the sheet except for a comment by the tester that he used "too much observation."

Having gone through the test regime three times (got it the third time) I know how much preparation and knowledge are required. I know he is a good driver and he knew his theory 100pc. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH OBSERVATION. I realised that passing the test was as much about common sense, OBSERVATION and good manners as it was about knowing all the theory.

<SNIP>

Has anyone here had to appeal before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Did he drive the way he normally would drive in the test, or did he do all the "staring in the mirror" knacks to try and "impress the tester"? I had an eejit of an instructor from a well known driving school for my first test and he was telling me all sorts of "tricks", the most ridiculous being have a good gawk in every mirror every 15 seconds while driving on the straight. (If you try this, you'll find there's not much time left over for looking ahead of you). Needless to say, the tester was not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It seems unusual with there being no marks against him on the sheet. But unfortunately there is such a thing as too much observation. Your attention should be on the road in front, with observation around you coming second. Your brother must have spent too much time looking at his mirrors and not enough time concentrating on what he was doing/where he was going. I've heard it happen before, and it is lethal. The most important thing is to be in control and aware of what's ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Back on the topic of the appeal though, it does sound like you have good grounds to appeal. Whether or not they were right to fail him, it's obvious the test wasn't carried out in a proper manner if they didn't fill out the faults sheet. All the appeal gets you is a free retest though, you won't overturn the result in an appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

That is ridiculous that he didn't even fill out the test sheet. That alone is a grounds for an appeal in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

JustCoz wrote: »
    That is ridiculous that he didn't even fill out the test sheet. That alone is a grounds for an appeal in my opinion.

I don't think the OP is saying he didn't fill out the sheet. It's more like there were no faults to mark on the sheet. That really doesn't seem correct... I don't think I know of anyone who has passed the test without one single fault. Are you sure there isn't a grade 3 in there???!!! Seems very odd that he can fail you on the grounds of a bit of handwriting, without the faults.

Maybe scan us a copy of the sheet?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

I haven't seen the test sheet yet, so my first reaction was a little impassioned. I felt his disappointment. Will keep you guys posted. I get the point about keeping his eyes on the road in the first place and that could certainly have been a factor.

Advertisement