Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband throttling torrents

Options
  • 30-04-2008 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Just got my IBB 3mb breeze installed yesterday. Im happy in the sense that speedtest.net shows it maxing out the 3mb up and down. HTTP/FTP downloads are perfect but my torrents never really break about 20k/sec

I've tried encrypting them which has improved the speed somewhat but its still far from acceptable. Would be interested to hear from other IBB customers experiences.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Just got my IBB 3mb breeze installed yesterday. Im happy in the sense that speedtest.net shows it maxing out the 3mb up and down. HTTP/FTP downloads are perfect but my torrents never really break about 20k/sec

I've tried encrypting them which has improved the speed somewhat but its still far from acceptable. Would be interested to hear from other IBB customers experiences.

Cheers

Hi, I'm on IBB too... (2MB breeze, 2 up, 2 down) and I've been thinking this for awhile now... I have heard anecdotal stories from people indicating that they might actually limit bittorrent activity ... BUT then again I've also been told that the don't block any ports (which I guess is not the same as not limiting them) ...

I rarely get good speeds out of bittorrent ... hovering in the single digits dropping to zero for a few minutes jumping up to a usual max of about 15 - 20kB/s (rarely though)... it's normally works fine, 2 megs up and down for normal traffic, and when I use the ADSL in my GF's house bittorrent gets 60kB/s easily (on the same torrents... with roughly the same torrent health)
    However on a recent download I did get a massive shock after many hours at >10kB/s, fully one third of the torrent i was downloading came in at well over 60kB/s on my IBB connection then dropped back to piddlingly slow speeds and in the end the rest of the torrent took ages.

In short... I don't think they're deliberately crippling bittorrent... as I have gotten decent speeds once in a while (blue moon)
    but I do think that there is something about IBB that makes torrents crap.

Humm.... RESEARCH TIME!

Research time has produced the following
    http://www.tribune.ie/2007/11/04/106601.html
    Some major Irish internet providers such as Irish Broadband, UPC (NTL/Chorus) and Digiweb are already using traffic shaping procedures that essentially moderate which high-bandwidth services can be accessed by their customers.
    Irish Broadband uses traffic shaping so that "all users and all applications get fair access to network resources when they need it", according to commercial director Ruairi Jennings. He said Irish Broadband would not "throttle" individual user connections, but at certain times P2P traffic will be restricted to ensure other applications have adequate access to network resources.

ok so after that I take back my earlier comment ... They are throttling bittorrent... at certain times (my logs would seem to indicate that almost all times are certain times)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: Traffic management with something like Sandvine

Sandvine searches for connections for file-sharing networks. When it finds a connection, sandvine sends a "RST" packet to both your computer and the computer you are connecting to. The RST packet is telling both computers to "Reset" or "Close" the network connection. Thus, blocking any data from being sent over the connection.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Noticed this myself on breeze 3mb up/down.

Mind you im getting 7mb up for the past few months now so better say nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Irish Broadband throttle my BitTorrent usage. You can get around this with VPN/SSH tunnel and/or downloading your torrents to an offsite virtual server or dedicated box. I'm setting my up this week and I have a thread about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Some major Irish internet providers such as Irish Broadband, UPC (NTL/Chorus) and Digiweb are already using traffic shaping procedures that essentially moderate which high-bandwidth services can be accessed by their customers.

I'd love to know where they dreamed up the sources for that. Digiweb certainly don't perform any traffic shaping on bittorrent/p2p.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Traffic management with something like Sandvine

Sandvine searches for connections for file-sharing networks. When it finds a connection, sandvine sends a "RST" packet to both your computer and the computer you are connecting to. The RST packet is telling both computers to "Reset" or "Close" the network connection. Thus, blocking any data from being sent over the connection.

Google ( stardate 2007)

http://redhatcat.blogspot.com/2007/09/beating-sandvine-with-linux-iptables.html

Get something to look at packets and have a snoop for :

http://torrentfreak.com/images/comcast-rst1.txt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

bushy... wrote: »

:rolleyes: Naw, I'm with Eircom cos they don't interfere with p2p, or enforce their download limit for that matter. I'll happily pay more for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I thought they were throttling it too.. Im on IBB 3mb. I just use utorrent set to port 80 and set to accept encrypted connections only. Then I have port 80 forwarded in my router. On well seeded torrents I usually get full speeds. Of course with this Imagine takeover Id say we can be expecting a lot more of this throttling type stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Naw, I'm with Eircom cos they don't interfere with p2p
    Are you absolutely sure about that? I'm getting ridiculously bad speeds compared with my folks' Gaelic Telecom setup, seriously thinking about jumping ship....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Chief--- wrote: »
    Noticed this myself on breeze 3mb up/down.

Mind you im getting 7mb up for the past few months now so better say nothing :)

Didn't even think that was possible on breeze... they throttle me also i just use port 80 and it works fine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

benway wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure about that? I'm getting ridiculously bad speeds compared with my folks' Gaelic Telecom setup, seriously thinking about jumping ship....

Gaelic telecom *are* Eircom broadband, they're just reselling an Eircom bitstream product as to most ADSL providers in Ireland... no matter who you're with it's normally eircom with the only differences being which server you authenticate with.

And no, IBB don't traffic shape and neither do eircom (they have however handed over certain traffic statistics to the IRMA).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Fair enough, thanks. Although I'm still at a loss as to the difference in speed between the two in practical terms. I'm struggling to get more than 10kB/s out of my own line, was hitting a consistent 30kB/s on the other, supposedly slower connection. Ports are forwarded properly on both...

Advertisement