Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire baths, the latest dastardly plan

Options
  • 30-04-2008 1:32pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick, get your pitchforks and torches ready, we'll need to form a mob, those evil planners are trying to demolish the derelict baths again. :rolleyes:

East Pier to Sandycove Coastal Amenity Project

Communications Office
    Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
    PRESS RELEASE
    Thursday 21st February 2008
    Councillors examine feasibility study for world class East Pier to Sandycove Coastal Amenity Project

At a special briefing meeting held earlier today for Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown Councillors, Consultants Royal Haskoning and Murray & Associates made a presentation of the main findings and recommendations in their feasibility study on the East Pier to Sandycove Coastal Amenity Project. Two different concept schemes were presented to Councillors for the purpose of discussion and debate, with agreement reached that both concepts would be presented for non-statutory public consultation in the near future.

The Council briefed the consultants in April 07 to examine the feasibility of a major world-class environmental/amenity improvement scheme at this location, which includes the Dun Laoghaire Baths site. They were required to make provision for the proposed Sutton to Sandycove (S2S) project. The brief also required that consideration be given to creating additional space for cultural, recreational and amenity purposes (with appropriate associated commercial development) along the sea front.

The consultants were asked to comply with the design guidelines set out in the Report of the Council’s Baths Sub-Committee. This Committee is made up of the six elected representatives from the Dún Laoghaire Electoral Area and was formed in October 2005. A key recommendation made by the Committee is that the project should not have any high-rise or residential element, but should complement the coastline and offer a modern local tourist attraction.

Included in the consultant’s brief was the requirement that any proposed scheme must provide adequate sea defences to mitigate the effects of coastal erosion on the site in order to protect any proposed development.

The 2 concepts recommended by the consultants and examined by the Councillors are detailed below:

Concept A: Dún Laoghaire Lagoon

ConceptA.jpg

1. A lagoon beach constructed adjacent to the East Pier with a linking pedestrian over bridge.
    2. An aquatic play area on the old baths site with a civic space and a building with a restaurant, providing for alternative therapies etc.
    3. An underground car park with up to 500 spaces
    4. New upper and lower walkways along entire sea frontage with plaza and viewing areas.
    5. Accommodation of the S2S project along the entire route.
    6. Limited land reclamation along Newtownsmith to facilitate civic amenities including the ‘Festival of World Cultures’.
    7. A newly landscaped Sandycove Park with water sports buildings.
    8. Improved facilities for Sandycove Harbour.

Map of Concept A, showing the coast from the east pier to sandycove, pointing out the facilites on the map which are coverered in the Concept B details above this image.

Concept B: Newtownsmith Beach

ConceptB.jpg

1. New promenade and sandy beach over the East Pier to Newtownsmith Section.
    2. Construction of offshore and shore-connected breakwaters approximately 250m off shore.
    3. An upper and lower walkway, which will provide walks along the frontage and access to the beachfront.
    4. Accommodation of the S2S project along the entire route.
    5. An increase in surface car parking at Newtownsmith
    6. Limited land reclamation along Newtownsmith to facilitate civic amenities including the ‘Festival of World Cultures’.
    7. Newly landscaped Sandycove Park with water sports buildings.
    8. Improved facilities for Sandycove Harbour

Map of Concept B, showing the coast from the east pier to sandycove, pointing out the facilites on the map which are coverered in the Concept B details above this image.

Following an examination of the feasibility study the Council have agreed that the next step will be to present the two concepts to the public through a process of non-statutory public consultation, the details of which will be advertised within the next week. The public will be invited to make submissions based on their consideration of the proposed concepts, after which a full report will be presented to Council. It should be pointed out that the implementation of any improvement works in the area is dependent on identifying and accessing the necessary funding.

Further information:
    Communications Office
    Tel: 01 2047056
    Email: commsoffice@dlrcoco.ie

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/PressReleases/CoastalAmenityProject.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Sounds like a pretty cool plan. The derelict baths and "amenities" of yore are long overdue upgrading IMHO. There seems to be plenty of these city-type developments being proposed recently, probably to take up the slack from the lapse in housing construciton profit (Henry Street/O Connell skypark thing, the Clarence Hotel development, Dublin Airport City etc., ).

Would be fantastic to see it built, and a nice sight down in an area that needs modernising.

Ooops, sorry I forgot:

THEY ARE WRECKING THE CHARACTER OF DUBLIN. IT WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

There was a public meeting today (been there) and others to follow (not to be mentioned those that took already place). I have to admit I am only starting looking into it as I am not originally from this area. Nevertheless. Whoever loves Scotsmans Bay: Look carefully at those plans and be aware how ridiculous and expensive they are. Time to make a comment to the council is til 16.05....

(no doubt improvement is necessary and the baths need refurbishment. But not like this)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

they could just, and im not a qualified and chartered planner now, do everything else and referb the baths? its a bit of a drastic plan i know but with a bit of support it could work

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

As a resident of the area I would like to make a few points.

1. The original pool was of very limited use. It was only open for the summer months and even then it was fairly poorly attended on cooler days.

2. There is no great need for a public pool in this location as there are at least 2 (probably more) within a couple of miles. Monkstown pool, Newpark pool. (Killiney castle too).

3. Ian Paisley invented an endearing little phrase "Ulster Says NO!". There are certain local politicians who are making a career for themselves saying "NO" to just about everything. It has become quite nauseating. Not everything is a capitalist plot designed to exploit the working classes. We really need to say "YES" eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

That Lagoon Beach would quickly silt up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I really look forward to thousands of ferengi jamming up Dunlaoghaire/Sandycove and leaving mountains of rubbish behind as they head back home. The tiny beach at sandycove seems to be too much for the council and gards to handle so god nows how they are going to cope with this.

That said, I think the plans are excellent and very ambitious. it would be great to see either one come to fruition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

dewsbury wrote: »
    As a resident of the area I would like to make a few points.

1. The original pool was of very limited use. It was only open for the summer months and even then it was fairly poorly attended on cooler days.

2. There is no great need for a public pool in this location as there are at least 2 (probably more) within a couple of miles. Monkstown pool, Newpark pool. (Killiney castle too).

3. Ian Paisley invented an endearing little phrase "Ulster Says NO!". There are certain local politicians who are making a career for themselves saying "NO" to just about everything. It has become quite nauseating. Not everything is a capitalist plot designed to exploit the working classes. We really need to say "YES" eventually.

Well I'm saying yes! I'm sick of looking at those ugly old baths. Especially when the pier is nearly finished and is looking great (have you seen the new human sundial thing they put it... it's cool)
    These plans look really good. Certainly better then what they came up with the first time, it's like they've really thought about what the people of the area want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ah the old run it down till people accept any type of redevelopement you've both fallen for it hook line and sinker

that plan doesn't show the apartments, how convenient

sos are still giving out about them.

well I actually support sos and went on their protest walk, but that was when I'd seen the development plans for the apartments and was disgusted. If those apartments are still on the plan then of course I'd be against that.
    But I do think that whole area needs to have something done to it. Its decrepit at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

... (have you seen the new human sundial thing they put it... it's cool)

????

Where is the human sundial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I have to say, those plans do look pretty fabulous - would bring a lot to the area, and normally I'd be very against this sort of thing.

dewsbury wrote: »
    ????

Where is the human sundial?

Its on the east pier, on the lower part on the left hand side, just past where the coffee/ice cream stand is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I think it looks great - option 1 would be my preferred option, although the breakwaters on option 2 look interesting too. Not so sure I like the idea of shoe-horning private apartments into the scheme - why not just build the thing without this whole public-private partnership thingy that fianna-fail is so keen on these last 15 years or so...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

PPP means that the Private end has to get a return out of it, hence apartments, retail, parking etc. Personally, I would rather see a small apartment block integrated into the civic and retail area than derelict baths with graffiti owned by "the people"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

where are the apartments then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

The developers are now running scared from their previous PPP commitements. See http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0515/1210799122330.html from today's Times.
    Council to meet developer over stalled projects

DUBLIN CITY Council officials are to meet leading developer Bernard McNamara today over the fate of a number of stalled public-private partnership (PPP) projects between the two parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Dyflin wrote: »
    PPP means that the Private end has to get a return out of it, hence apartments, retail, parking etc. Personally, I would rather see a small apartment block integrated into the civic and retail area than derelict baths with graffiti owned by "the people"...

ah cos that the only two choices one has... of course

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Keep up at the back, I was answering the previous poster... :rolleyes:

Advertisement