Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eire go Brach launch Lisbon Campaign...

Options
  • 30-04-2008 1:40pm

Anyone see the Eire go Brach campaign?

http://www.eiregobrach.ie/Campaign.htm

Got a leaflet this morning. All about how the EU will attack the Irish family, foisting nasty things like abortion and foriegners on us - one of the (many) taglines is 'Keep Ireland Irish'. Apparently we will end up like China with laws restricting reproduction. And, most damning of all, we are being dragged into a 'Godless Europe'!

Anyone seen this Maire Ni Fhaoite? I'm picturing a middle aged remarkably unattractive spinster type with rosary beads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah the Nazi front have launched their campaign. They should be good for a larf. Though they'll probably get fairly good support in Sinn Fein areas.

I wonder if Harry Rea is any relationship to the Harry Rea of indymedia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This the same campaign as the last 4 or 5 I presume. Every treaty is a threat to Holy Ireland it seems while countless priests have buggered thier way through the nations youth.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

mike65 wrote: »
    This the same campaign as the last 4 or 5 I presume. Every treaty is a threat to Holy Ireland it seems while countless priests have buggered thier way through the nations youth.

Mike.
    ??
    Normally white supremacists/racists/facists aren't Catholic. Just FYI.
    And, I'm pretty sure that these guys (bad and all as they are) don't like paedophiles.

Ooopsa! :o Wrong bunch of nutters.

I think a God bothering cabal launched some campaign today as well.

Mike.

Aah Ok.

Although my fair side cannot resist pointing out that someone can be Catholic, and still have a moral opinion. Just because a few paedophiles used the priesthood as a cover to get near the kiddies (I firmly believe that they must have gone in with that in mind), does not negate the right of any Catholic to believe as they want, or to argue that belief in the public sphere.

We just have to argue back.

• Advertisement

Thats very fair of you :)

Every group we can think of will be popping up out of the mists of time no doubt, cxclaiming that continenal heathens will rob the Irish of social mores/culture/tax breaks and whatever you're having yourself :(

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats very fair of you :)

Every group we can think of will be popping up out of the mists of time no doubt, cxclaiming that continenal heathens will rob the Irish of social mores/culture/tax breaks and whatever you're having yourself :(

Mike.
    I can't get over the "the EU will force parents to have sex with their kids" brigade.
    I didn't even know we had them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

seamus wrote: »
    Ah the Nazi front have launched their campaign. They should be good for a larf. Though they'll probably get fairly good support in Sinn Fein areas.

That's a disingenuous statement to make Seamus. Labeling them nazi front and then casually adding that they will get support in SF areas, as if SF are a in the same boat as Nazis.

I was focussing purely on their "Ireland for the Irish" statement. That alone will get them a lot of support in the less affluent areas of the country, which coincidentally are also traditionally SF-friendly.

To clarify, I wasn't trying to draw any comparision between SF and Nazis. They just happen to share a similar support demographic.

dlofnep wrote: »
    That's a disingenuous statement to make Seamus. Labeling them nazi front and then casually adding that they will get support in SF areas, as if SF are a in the same boat as Nazis.
    The people who vote BNP etc. in other countries, are the people who vote Sinn Fein here (by and large).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The people who vote BNP etc. in other countries, are the people who vote Sinn Fein here (by and large).

I disagree. They are two separate collectives with two separate agendas. Trying to group the two together as two sides of the same book is dishonest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I think people vote sinn fein is because of their social policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

dlofnep wrote: »
    I disagree. They are two separate collectives with two separate agendas. Trying to group the two together as two sides of the same book is dishonest.

Agreed, it's all too easy to label someone a nazi because they hold differing views.

It wasn't too long ago that Michael McDowell compared to Fine Gael's Richard Bruton to a nazi. :rolleyes:

Agreed, it's all too easy to label someone a nazi because they hold differing views.

It wasn't too long ago that Michael McDowell compared to Fine Gael's Richard Bruton to a nazi. :rolleyes:
    In fairness McDowell was under alot of stress (you could see it on the news), and snapped. He apologised on the Dail record and crossed the Dail to shake his hand.

I am not stressed, nor have I snapped, but I will say that the people who vote Sinn Fein in Ireland are the kind who vote for the BNP in Britain. Exact same demographic.

EDIT: Obviously the reasons may be different.

turgon wrote: »
    I think people vote sinn fein is because of their social policies.
    No-one implied otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I am not stressed, nor have I snapped, but I will say that the people who vote Sinn Fein in Ireland are the kind who vote for the BNP in Britain. Exact same demographic.

EDIT: Obviously the reasons may be different.

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree. But out of curiosity how do you draw your conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Any evidence of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Any evidence of this?
    Demographics of Sinn Fein voters are available here:
    Within that the figures are very much in line with what are usually called radical or extreme right parties. Sinn Féin’s voters are (statistically and substantively) significantly more likely to be working class. There is an obvious and strong relationship with age. Support among the young is four times higher than among over pensioners. The rural urban divide is exists but is less pronounced than one might expect, but this can be accounted by Collins’ observations. Should Sinn Féin voters be similar to radical nationalist party voters one would expect to see a gender gap. This also exists.
    The BNP is actively targeting the same demographic:
    The fact remains that to gain votes, however well publicised, the BNP's policies still have to resonate with voters. The BNP argues it is the only party appealing to white working class voters. The mainstream parties obviously reject this claim, but Labour figures admit the party has failed to retain its core working class support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Conor74 wrote: »
    Anyone see the Eire go Brach campaign?

http://www.eiregobrach.ie/Campaign.htm

Got a leaflet this morning. All about how the EU will attack the Irish family, foisting nasty things like abortion and foriegners on us - one of the (many) taglines is 'Keep Ireland Irish'. Apparently we will end up like China with laws restricting reproduction. And, most damning of all, we are being dragged into a 'Godless Europe'!

Anyone seen this Maire Ni Fhaoite? I'm picturing a middle aged remarkably unattractive spinster type with rosary beads.

Máire de Faoite
    Campaign Director - Éire go Brách
    the top picture on the link below may be her.
    http://www.taracircle.org/History_of_Alder/Photo_Gallery/photo_gallery.html

djpbarry wrote: »
    Demographics of Sinn Fein voters are available here:
    The BNP is actively targeting the same demographic:

Both parties go for the working class vote, Is that it?? Better not tell the Labour Party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

To be honest though- if they weren't so much of a joke- their points are made reasonably well. However the fact is that they are a joke.

Like it or not however the EU does plan on the whole forcing abortion on Ireland - against the will of the Irish people as expressed in referenda...

Both parties go for the working class vote, Is that it?? Better not tell the Labour Party
    Firstly, the Labour party get a majority middle class vote (IIRC from Michael Gallaghers How Ireland Voted 2002). FF are the ones who soak up the working class vote.
    Secondly, it is a certain subsection of the working class. Or, more accurately, the workless class. It is the most poor, and uneducated in society that vote BNP and Sinn Fein.

It is the most poor, and uneducated in society that vote BNP and Sinn Fein.

Again, where is your evidence of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Cliste wrote: »
    To be honest though- if they weren't so much of a joke- their points are made reasonably well. However the fact is that they are a joke.

Like it or not however the EU does plan on the whole forcing abortion on Ireland - against the will of the Irish people as expressed in referenda...

And against the explicit commitment in the existing and the proposed EU treaties to do no such thing, of course. And despite having no competence in the area. And despite no other member nation considering such a competence acceptable. And despite clear statements to the contrary. But what the heck.

resignedly,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    And against the explicit commitment in the existing and the proposed EU treaties to do no such thing, of course. And despite having no competence in the area. And despite no other member nation considering such a competence acceptable. And despite clear statements to the contrary. But what the heck.

Well: http://www.euhealthblog.blogspot.com/

Around halfway down it has an article on the matter where this is said:
    In a recent report, the Committee on Equal Opportunities for Women and Men of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe [PACE] has called on member states which have not already done so to decriminalise abortion.

So do tell me more of the explicit commitment in future treaties etc.

Cliste wrote: »
    Well: http://www.euhealthblog.blogspot.com/

Around halfway down it has an article on the matter where this is said:
    In a recent report, the Committee on Equal Opportunities for Women and Men of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe [PACE] has called on member states which have not already done so to decriminalise abortion.

So do tell me more of the explicit commitment in future treaties etc.

Hmm. It might be more useful to point out that the Council of Europe is nothing to do with the EU. It is an entirely separate body.

I appreciate the name is confusing, but the pronouncements of the Council of Europe have no more relevance to the EU than do the pronouncements of the American Civil Liberties Union.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I do appologise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Disturbing attempts here to negate the democratic choices of people by equating their vote to extremist or uneducated view points.While extreme groups are calling for a no vote, it appears every no voter is an extremist too.

Your in good company though...
    rte wrote:
    Garret FitzGerald described opponents of the Lisbon Treaty as 'nitpickers of the extreme right and left'.

Describing Irish influence in the drawing up of the treaty, he said it was our treaty more than anyone else's.

Dr FitzGerald said if the people turn it down, it would be absolutely incomprehensible to other member states, and would lose Ireland the good-will of 26 governments.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0502/eulisbon.html

Doesn't appear to be much attempt to "educate" the uneducated regarding Lisbon. Such tactics look more like pigeon holing and scare mongering tbh.

clown bag wrote: »
    Disturbing attempts here to negate the democratic choices of people by equating their vote to extremist or uneducated view points.While extreme groups are calling for a no vote, it appears every no voter is an extremist too.

Doesn't appear to be much attempt to "educate" the uneducated regarding Lisbon. Such tactics look more like pigeon holing and scare mongering tbh.

Clearly its the end of the world whatever we do- I say we all abstain:D

• Advertisement

clown bag wrote: »

Your in good company though...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0502/eulisbon.html

So, the fact that the Referendum Commission has €5-6 million to spend on informing people neutrally is neither here not there? There are dozens of guides, hundreds of analyses, thousands of articles, debates every day - and yet still there "doesn't appear to be much effort"? Pull the other one - it has bells on.

amused,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement