Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I join the IAA ?

• 30-04-2008 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,
    This is my first post here but have been a long time reader of threads since about September last. For my first question I would like to know peoples experiences in joining the IAA, by that I mean what did they get out of it, I don´t want to just join an organisation for the sake of it and a pretty membership card, I do understand the need for a united front against people who are opposed to airsoft but apart from that what is the advantage of the association ? I amn´t here to troll or start arguments I just want peoples experiences and if they recommend joining, my personal situation is that I have a good bit of airsoft gear never been skirmishing, haven´t had a chance yet, so I am on the fringes of the sport, should I join ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

CD87 wrote: »
    Hi,
    This is my first post here but have been a long time reader of threads since about September last. For my first question I would like to know peoples experiences in joining the IAA, by that I mean what did they get out of it, I don´t want to just join an organisation for the sake of it and a pretty membership card, I do understand the need for a united front against people who are opposed to airsoft but apart from that what is the advantage of the association ? I amn´t here to troll or start arguments I just want peoples experiences and if they recommend joining, my personal situation is that I have a good bit of airsoft gear never been skirmishing, haven´t had a chance yet, so I am on the fringes of the sport, should I join ?

Well I joined, just because I believe they are doing a good job, and I approve of their policies and actions on behalf of the sport.

There are no benefits like discounts or anything at the moment, all you get is the knowledge you have supported them with your membership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Hi,

Considering the IAA has been in existence less than 6 months, they've thus far done a remarkable job in defending the sport in the media as well as educating the media & politicians along with engaging in constructive working relationships with the authorities.

In short, they've done a good job in seeking to ensure the game's continued survival in what was up until recent months a very hostile environment (mostly from the media).

So joining up means they have more numbers behind them in a crunch-situation. Like all representative bodies, numbers = taken more seriously by politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On the IAA whats the paypal account? Never paid my dues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CD87

Paypal is an online form of payment you register with them with your credit card and they pass the payment on to the person you want it to go to. It just means that you are happy that your details are not being thrown all over the place and anyone can accept payment through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Not to worry the newly appointed IAA debt collectors have been notified and are on their way. They'll be confiscating your airsoft gear to sell at auction in order to recoup or losses :D

OP, being the highly biased IAA member that I am I'll say yeah go for it, as a member of the IAA your vote helps shape the association and direct the course of Airsoft in the future (oh and some retailers and sites have made mention of discounts for IAA members)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Paypal is an online form of payment you register with them with your credit card and they pass the payment on to the person you want it to go to. It just means that you are happy that your details are not being thrown all over the place and anyone can accept payment through it.

Pretty sure he was just looking for the email address, which embarassingly enought I can't remember.

I'll dig it out and PM it to you Lethal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

The PayPal account ‘treasurer@irishairsoft.ie’ has also been opened to accept online payments. Please include your full name when paying subscriptions online.

Hope it helps.
    I just paid mine today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Pepper, maybe yuo colud check and see when mine is due, the first year was free,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dr_Pepper wrote: »
    Hope it helps.

Cheers,
    €15 for minors right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Membership subscriptions will come into effect on the 1st May 2008.
    Subscription fees will be €30 for individual members and €15 for junior members.
    Membership will be renewed on receipt of payment.

Regards,
    Conor Scolard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Everone should join the IAA espically if they don't agree with their [policies or things their doing. The sport needs one representivie body and members can have their say with their vote and change it if its not working for them (assuming their in the majority!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

I am fairly new to this sport (Jan 08) but I became a member so that I can have a say in how it evolves. I am not really worried if discounts and the like never materialise.

It is new(ish) to the country and you will always get people who don't want skirmish sites or retailers on their doorsteps.

If we want to make sure it survives, we need more people to sign up for membership so there is a visible playing community.

Every sport needs a representative body. Without the IAA we are just a bunch of people with no real voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Subscription fees will be €30 for individual members and €15 for junior members.

Regards,
    Conor Scolard

Just paid mine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Hi,

The next time you hear a radio show, or news article where some person/group is bashing airsoft, you'll be glad the IAA are there to do the excellent job they also do in defending our sport.

I don't agree with all IAA decisions or policies, but I've joined up (and paid) so that I have a voice....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

N.O.I.P. wrote: »
    Pretty sure he was just looking for the email address, which embarassingly enought I can't remember.

I'll dig it out and PM it to you Lethal
    Hope it helps.
    Cheers,
    €15 for minors right?

Regards,
    Conor Scolard
    kdouglas wrote: »
    Just paid mine :)

going a bit off topic here lads this just a note for the mods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

amaughan wrote: »
    going a bit off topic here lads this just a note for the mods

Then use the report button instead of trying to mod! Hell, even I should have probably just reported your post!

Then use the report button instead of trying to mod! Hell, even I should have probably just reported your post!
    never had to use it so dont know where it is.
    not tring to mod trust me i got better things to do;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

In a vain attempt to get this back on track:

Yes you should join the IAA :

if you give a toss about the sport of airsoft and dont want to see it demonised in the press / the eyes of the public.
    if you want to see new sites started and existing ones expanded.
    if you dont like the way the iaa does things (i dont have a problem with it ) then join - you get whats called a VOTE it gives you a say in who runs the organisation , dont like it - vote someone else in for the job.

dont join :

if you just want a badge / membership card to flash at your buddies
    if you're looking to enhance your ego
    if you just want to act "the man"

its quite clear cut to me anyway.and lets face it there are worse ways to spend €30

/rant over

PS : No i am not on the iaa committee and dont see any reason to , the lads seem to be doing ok as far as i can see.
    PPS : yes i did hand in my form and paid me 30 bob

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

yea join up, why? coz it wont do ya any harm, whereas not joining means theres less people out there trying to keep your new hobby legal.,

dont join if,
    your a gobsh*te,
    Like the sound of your own voice,
    like attention,
    like arguing about nothing,
    dont know when to shut up,
    etc
    etc,

other than that you shoud be grand.,:)

i have no intentions of joinin the iaa dose that mean im tring to act "the man".

and you dont need to be a member of the iaa to stop the press from having a crack at airsoft

• Advertisement

i have no intentions of joinin the iaa dose that mean im tring to act "the man".

and you dont need to be a member of the iaa to stop the press from having a crack at airsoft

well god knows where ya got that from,

and being a member means the organisation is larger and has more clout, ever heard anyone lean on mircosoft? Opec?
    Didnt think so,;)

vtec wrote: »
    yea join up, why? coz it wont do ya any harm, whereas not joining means theres less people out there trying to keep your new hobby legal.,

dont join if,
    your a gobsh*te,
    like attention,
    etc
    etc,

other than that you shoud be grand.,:)

how does not joing make u a gobsh*ie
    or mean u like the sound of your own voice or any of the other things u mentioned.
    your basicly tellin this guy he's a tic if he doesn't join.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

i was typing a reply , then i remembered about not feeding trolls.

how does not joing make u a gobsh*ie
    or mean u like the sound of your own voice or any of the other things u mentioned.
    your basicly tellin this guy he's a tic if he doesn't join.

your either 8, or thick,

did i say anyone that isnt a member is a gob****e? NO,
    Did i say that if you arnt a member that you like your own voice? NO,

dont twist my words.,

To the OP,
    joining can only do good things for you and the sport, you wont be any worse off by signing up., :)

vtec wrote: »
    well god knows where ya got that from,

and being a member means the organisation is larger and has more clout, ever heard anyone lean on mircosoft? Opec?
    Didnt think so,;)

at this stage id say everyone who would be havin a crack at airsoft or anything of this sort would know that not everyone involved in this sorta stuff is a member of an organisation to do wit it.

and thos are totally diferent to airsoft.your not going to see anyone sayin ya cant make computers:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Plus if you don't join up. - You don't have the right to bitch about how the sport is being represented.

you said

dont join if,
    your a gobsh*te,
    like attention,
    etc
    etc,
    how in anyway is that twisting your words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Another thread turning into a stupid bitchfest. Stop. Now.

CD87, welcome to the forum. there are IAA forums in which you can ask questions relating to the association.

http://irishairsoft.ie/forum/

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement