Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scaffolding

• 30-04-2008 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm looking for a little bit of guidance about scaffolding. Now that we're thinking about putting the roof on the self build, I have to think about getting my hands on enough scaffolding to do the job. Thing is, I don't have a clue about Scaffolding. Has anyone got a formula or a way for me to calculate how much I will need. The house is a 2000 square foot two story.

Or if there are any of you out there with scaffolding to sell within 70 or 80 miles of leitrim, don't hesitate to pm me with the amount that you have and the price. I'm not interested in new stuff. up to 20 year old scaffolding would be fine if it came at the right price.

We would hire, but we figure that it would cost us too much as we will be doing a lot of the work ourselves at weekends and therefore would need it for a long time.

Any advice or information would be grateful.

Regards

Dan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

dont even attempt to erect scaffolding yourself

hire only trained and experienced scaffolders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

sinnerboy wrote: »
    dont even attempt to erect scaffolding yourself

hire only trained and experienced scaffolders

I have a cousin who is a scaffolding erector in the UK, he will come over to erect it for me. For now my worry is having the scaffolding for him to work on. I have self build insurance which does not require an Irish Certified Scaffolder to erect it, so long as it is done properly its sound.

Thanks for the tip !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm in a simalar position but I'm only starting to think about it, renting is out for me as self building for me is slow so its cheaper to buy and then sell.

I was looking at second hand scaffolding as I thought there would be loads for sale now that things have slowed down, but I don't know what it is about scaffolding but it seems to hold its value well. I have priced new and second hand and there is not much in the difference and you don't want bent and dirty scaffolding as it isn't safe and difficult to erect.

If you get the ground fairly level around the house before you go to erect the scaffolding it makes life much easier. My mate worked out that I need 26 sections which I can get new with planks for about 3.5k to 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 17 prometheus413

there's no formula for working out scaffold, just good old experience! email your mate your house plans and he should be able to calculate the amount you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I have friends in Headford area of Galway with load for sale after a 2500 sq/ft self-build. It's only down so they haven't gone to market yet. They were hiring and ended up buying it. PM me for their phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Check and double check your insurance requirements, as scaffolding should have all relevant tickets. Most site accidents are falling from a site. Do not take short cuts here to save a small amount of money.
    If you got a scaffolder to supply and erect the scaffold for you for that size of house the cost should be €1k to put up, €1k to take down and c.€100 per week hire. The scaffold should be checked and signed off on a weekly basis and your scaffolder will make any necessary changes for getting closer/ adjusting as work progresses - included in the above price.
    I'm not a scaffolder, but I know the importance of getting it done correctly, and being covered from a Health and Safety point of view and insurance. If something did go wrong, you could be seriously exposed financially.

Advertisement