Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with my coffee...

• 30-04-2008 2:29pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A while ago I came across some vanilla coffee in a Fresh supermarket. It was pricey enough by comparison to the stuff I'd usually get but as I'm a fan of both vanilla and coffee it seemed like a worthy venture.

The stuff is made by Café Trinité and is labelled "Caribbean Coffee Flavours; Vanilla Coffee". Here's the thing I'm talking about here:
    http://www.caribcoffee.com/coffee/vanilla.html

Anyway, I wasn't really sure what the best way to brew it would be so I tried the french press first and then the moka pot (which I didn't think it would work well in. In both cases I was really disappointed by the results - the press came out tasting quite bad with a mild hint of vanilla that only made it harder to drink. The moka pot came out tasting like water with a hint of coffee.

What I'm wondering now is what to do with the rest of the bag - I don't want it to go to waste and would hate to think I'm missing out on a decent coffee due to my own ignorance.

One thing I've thought of doing was to cold brew it, as I feel that amount of time might bring out the flavours that seem to be hinted at when I use the french press normally.

Failing that I figure it's only best suited for a decent brewing machine or something - which I don't have.

So has anyone tried this particular brand of coffee and what did they find gave the best results??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd agree with you on trying the cold brewing tbh. RE*AC*TOR has described it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

In the past I bought boaters flavoured coffee from superquin.

I found the best way to brew this flavoured coffee was suing a drip coffee machine.

I have noticed on my travels that the flavoured coffee in statoil is pretty nice. They seem to use a drip precess for theirs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'd be relucatant to use flavoured coffee beans - the flavour can linger - tainting subsequent batches (especially if you use an aluminium moka pot). If you don't mind the added sweetness then maybe a vanilla syrup would do the job.

It is possible that its just mediocre coffee - the ingredients are hardly inspiring:

Coffee, Brown Sugar & Artificial Flavor

Give the cold brew a go - but I wouldn't expect miracles.

Silk purse / pig's ear etc.

Advertisement