Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those who dont like the handling of vehicles

• 30-04-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

You are obviously using 3rd person view. (How are you ment to avoid other cars at high speeds when the camera is behind the car, and actually slightly to the left of it aswel.)

Bonnet view is the ONLY view to be used when driving in this game.

The handling of the cars was the one thing that I was worried about before release and now its my favourite part of the game.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I found the high view at the back to be the best. Normally, I would be a bumper cam driver but GTA is a different beast to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Frame rate is too low and the initial steering too jerky for bonnet view.

Its what I would usually use in all car games but not here. The problem seems to be massive understeer and oversteer in a lot of the cars. Its not realisitic and its not arcadey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Surely you get a better view of what is coming in from the side in the third person view as your further back, if your in a bumper cam then you cannot see anything to your side without rotating the view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

I must say I quite like the new handling. If you have played all the previous games in GTA franchise you will hate it as it now physics based rather than throw your car into corners at really high speed.
    The best way to corner is to brake and then handbrake to bring the tail around, then nail the throttle again, like in the movies with car chases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

its not neccasary to use the bonnet view if you have two hands. or at least two thumbs..

use your steering stick as usual, and the pov stick to raise your sight level at high speed or corners or whenever you need to use it, its dead easy and it allows you to see the stuff you wouldnt normally see.
    to me its just like driving irl, when you drive fast you focus on the road and cars ahead of you, when you drive slow you can be an arse and rubberneck as much as you want.

as for oversteer and understeer, it is realistic in my view. simply because each model of car handles differently. the best car ingame i've found for handling is the comet, same as the other GTA's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Using a bumper view in GTA is ridiculous.

Especially in cop chases you don't know whats going on around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its fine as it is, handbrake turns all the way.

kdjac

ongarite wrote: »
    I must say I quite like the new handling. If you have played all the previous games in GTA franchise you will hate it as it now physics based rather than throw your car into corners at really high speed.
    The best way to corner is to brake and then handbrake to bring the tail around, then nail the throttle again, like in the movies with car chases.

I prefer it too, much more realistic, you just have to take the notion from previous game that full speed is possible, i've had 3 races online, won 2 and came a narrow 2nd in the others one. It's because i was braking early and taking the corner right while everyone else was flying into them, even one of them i had a Sanchez(Motor bike race, everyone else took the sports bike which is faster but harder to turn, i knew all i needed was something to get through the bends and i easily won :D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Phaetonman wrote: »
    Its not realisitic
    No way!

It's far more realistic. I think they've gone for the Gran Turismo approach. I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

nealmac wrote: »
    No way!

It's far more realistic. I think they've gone for the Gran Turismo approach. I like it.

This is surely sarcasm, are you really saying Gran Turismo has a similar driving mechanic as GTA IV :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Julez

Ah yeah, just rock around the corner with handbreak and break together, its fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Its not realistic. You never get realistic if you are controlling a car with buttons and a little stick. If I stole a car and was rallying it around a city it would be a lot of un and GTA used to capture the essence of that fun.
    That is gone now.

My biggest annoyance is the huge turning circles for the cars now. I'm sure I will get used to it but gtas of old only took 2 mins to get used to things.

Vegeta wrote: »
    This is surely sarcasm, are you really saying Gran Turismo has a similar driving mechanic as GTA IV :confused:
    No, I know it doesn't have a similar driving mechaninc to Gran Turismo. I was just using it as an example in saying that Rockstar have gone for the realism approach with GTA IV :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Its fine as it is, handbrake turns all the way.
    +1

I actually really like the handling. Takes a bit of getting used to, but theres nothing better then doing a full reverse 180 while being chased. And flinging your car around corners makes you look like a badass :p

Phaetonman wrote: »
    Its not realistic. You never get realistic if you are controlling a car with buttons and a little stick. If I stole a car and was rallying it around a city it would be a lot of un and GTA used to capture the essence of that fun.
    That is gone now.

My biggest annoyance is the huge turning circles for the cars now. I'm sure I will get used to it but gtas of old only took 2 mins to get used to things.
    But there's only so much realism you can get. If you tried to do maneuveres like you do in GTA in a real car, it just wouldn't work.

Now that we can't take sharp corners at high speeds like we once could, that bears a big resemblance to real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 OoSKYLINEoO

Personally i find the cars handle pretty bad but it's nothing you can't get used to, i find the brakes annoying and the handbrake should be used sparingly, it slows you down too much... Can do great J turns though so i'm happy enough lol :)

Yeah you do get used to it. The reason the handling was easier in previous GTA's was because it was so unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

don't know why people are moaning about the handling. Its grand. I was expecting it to be horrible.

The handbrake is excellent, you just lightly tap it and turn and you can corner perfectly. Also you really need to use analogue paddles when accelerating, you can't just put your foot to the floor you need to get the car up to speed first. I only have the paddle depressed all the way when I can see there is a clear straight ahead, when cornering I usually have it at around 50%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

It's not realistic at all. I drove over the concrete divide on the highway. Maybe someone could try that out on the M50 and let us know how it compares :rolleyes:

But realistic or not I love the handling in the game.

Gegerty wrote: »
    It's not realistic at all. I drove over the concrete divide on the highway. Maybe someone could try that out on the M50 and let us know how it compares :rolleyes:

But realistic or not I love the handling in the game.
    Hehehe point taken. But What I meant was that the actual driving physics have taken a step towards realism. I'm not saying it's totally lifelike or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

L31mr0d wrote: »
    don't know why people are moaning about the handling. Its grand. I was expecting it to be horrible.

You see that's the thing, nail on the head there, it is just grand and that's it. For a game where you do a lot of driving its not as enjoyable as I feel it should be. Sure you get used to it but I find its a means to and end rather than an enjoyable aspect in itself.

I will say I love the game its great fun and very entertaining, just because i think the driving isn't as good as it could/should be doesn't mean I hate the game or that its sh1t.
    Also you really need to use analogue paddles when accelerating, you can't just put your foot to the floor you need to get the car up to speed first. I only have the paddle depressed all the way when I can see there is a clear straight ahead, when cornering I usually have it at around 50%.

Is this the PS3 or the 360 as the triggers on my 360 controller have crap sensitivity when driving. A 3/4 trigger pull sees the car barely moving and squeeeze a slight bit more and its near full acceleration. Same with the brakes, this leads to pumping the trigger as if it were simply a button.

Anyone drive a car with ABS yet or do they exist?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Sensitivity seems fine for me on PS3.

As I've said before I love the new handling, when you get used to it you can still get around fast and it's a lot more rewarding.

I had a fantastic race last night, and a great 3 star cop chase in one of the missions that went on for ages and was faster and more spectacular than anything I've had in previous GTAs.

Advertisement