Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classifieds Website - Disclaimer?

Options
  • 30-04-2008 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm setting up a Classifieds type site where you can register and place an ad. I'm wondering what I should do as regards a disclaimer to remove responsibility from dodgy deals or products not working like they should.

There will be an "Accept Terms" step in the registration so I could maybe place in there that you as the seller accept full responisbility...etc etc. Or is that enough?

I want the buyers to be able to view the contact info straight away if provided so don't really want to force them to register to make contact (pm or get access to contact info). Would a "Terms and Conditions" link on the webpage with a disclaimer suffice? Or should it be something they have to click to accept.

Thanks! J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Firstly, I wouldn't base my legal protection on what some random people in the internet advise you on! Start by looking at what buy and sell do on their site.

That said, I guess you could hide all contact details until a viewer has clicked on a disclaimer. This could be a session variable that is set when the disclaimer is clicked the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If your starting a business (and you are) then you really need to get your Term and Conditions correct from the start. Speak to a solicitor and get proper T&Cs drawn up. It should only cost a few hundred euros.

Make accepting the T&Cs part of joining the site or placing an ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Hey Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately I'm a skint student and can't afford expensive legal advice! :( I was advised today that as long as it's clearly a classifieds site then I should be fairly safe as regards claims about dodgy items - as this falls under "buyer beware".

Also was advised that the greater concern would be to make sure people's contact info is only shown if they request it to be so - the website's responsibility. The site is phpbb-based and I've kept all of the "Terms and conditions" that came as default with that... also added a few paragraphs to strengthen some points.

My .ie domain registration is still being processed so I'll hold off on posting up a copy here until I know I have it! ;-) Should be tomorrow....

J

Advertisement