Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isnt Ireland Filthy

• 30-04-2008 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

I was reading on an article today about how a bycycle tour operater had pulled out on his tours of Ireland because people he had been selling the tours to where complaining about the amount of litter around the Irish countryside. They said it was a far cry from the green green Ireland that was sold to them.

This hit home with me ,as from living and growing up in the midlands i have walked and driven my share of country and national roads and the one thing that always bugs me is the amount of litter thrown from car windows into ditches. I think it is filthy. When i moved to New York first i couldnt beleive how such a massive city could be so squeeky clean. This was even more evident when i moved back home and it really highlighted the problem for me. I remember talking to a yank one day on the train on the Dublin Galway line on the way to Dublin one day and she mentioned to me that Ireland is a lovely country, the only thing she couldnt understand is why we have so much rubbish on the sides of the roads.
    What really bugged me one day was i was out helping clean up the roadsides for the tidy towns. The next day on the road i was cleaning a person had thrown out the waste of about 3 peoples McDonalds out the car window!:mad:

I just though id like to hear what other think on the subject.

Really though, isnt our countryside absolutly filthy. Its most shocking when you actually walk by ditches and see whats thrown in them. For such a beautiful country, why are we so filthy????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dirtbags. I've seen dirtier places though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

It is a filthy place alright. Better than it was admitedly. Just noticing it myself out on the bike last night. Ditches full of crap.
    There are worse countries, but not many supposedly developed ones.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I wouldn't go so far as to say it is absolutely filthy, but there is a clear difference when you go to big cities in mainland Europe and see how clean they are in comparison. People who drop litter are tw@ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I think they should make cheesy videos from the 80s educating children not to litter, and it has this techno/funky music with Mr T presenting it.
    "Don't litter fools!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Jigsaw wrote: »
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it is absolutely filthy, but there is a clear difference when you go to big cities in mainland Europe.

Yes but in general the countryside and the ditches beside the road are absolute mank! Its is sick

• Advertisement

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I think they should make cheesy videos from the 80s educating children not to litter, and it has this techno/funky music with Mr T presenting it.
    "Don't litter fools!"

There should be a moandatory fine, be it for a fag butt or a black bag ful of filth it should be the same across the board!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Q. Why are we so filthy?
    A. Because people don't care :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I was just thinking that on the way to work this morning. The street down from where I live was covered in litter and across the road I spotted a guy dig through his pockets, take out a load of old bus tickets, napkins etc and just let them drop onto the ground.

Seriously. What the **** like?

Who raised ye people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Don't know why people say it's not as bad as it was, it certainly is if not worse the place is an absolute sty, Dublin city is the worst, any green area is full of litter as is any road generally, there should be more litter wardens and it should be a prison sentence for those caught and not a fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The people are absolutely disgusting. Where I live people are dumping household rubbish at the bottle bank like its a proper thing to do. They dump bags on any secluded bit of road, or grass. And one Sunday morning early I saw two men run down from where they live with heaps of styrofoam and dump it over a hedge.

I am sick of calling the litter warden, and he must be sick of me at this stage.

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote: »
    Don't know why people say it's not as bad as it was, it certainly is if not worse the place is an absolute sty, Dublin city is the worst, any green area is full of litter as is any road generally, there should be more litter wardens and it should be a prison sentence for those caught and not a fine

Yeah. Why are the murderers and rapists taking up that valuable prison space when we could have littering and TV Licence dodging types in there.

The place is a kip but I think fines are ok for the moment for littering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

MooseJam wrote: »

Anywhere where there are numbers of people on social tends to be worse for litter and dumping. It must be to do with not having pride in or respect for whatever you didn't earn.

they are obviously not ok with the state of the place, littering is destroying the country and should be viewed as a serious crime and offenders locked up

here's a pic of carlow i got from the internet. typical of every town in ireland. the goverment thinks if they just throw money at an advert campaign it will go away. in all their wisdom its beyond them to hire more wardens....

carlow32.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

yore ma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

when we went to vienna on a school tour i can remember looking around the city trying to see if i could spot ANY litter. took me about 2 and a half hours to find a sweet wrapper and then to my utter shock, an old guy walking down the street, passed it, stopped, picked it up and dumped it in the bin about 100 metres away.

He got a bit worried when 40 irish students started to cheer for him though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Its not filthy. You should visit more countries if you think Ireland is filthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Seriously, how much effort is it to carry a piece of rubbish for an extra couple of minutes? Really? There's bins all over the place, use them!

lol I've been to many countries and the first thing you notice is how clean they are, Ireland is a filthy pigsty

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

There is a narrow road behind my house and it is rarely used. People sometimes dump on it. One day I was walking the dog and found a guy dumping a fridge on it. There is a place about ten miles down the road where you can bring most things to be recycled legally and he couldn't have been bothered. I pointed out to him that he could have brought it there. Him and his mate replied with a few choice words. It would have cost him two euro in petrol. His new windscreen probably cost him 200. You should drive carefully on bad country roads, stones can fly from anywhere.

• Advertisement

Phaetonman wrote: »
    Visiting poorer countries maybe, but in terms of economic wealth and development Ireland is one of, if not the, dirtiest.

There are nowhere near enough bins still. Better than it was, but more are needed. (with small openings to stop f**kers putting their household waste in them!!

Illegal dumping needs waaaay stiffer penalties. Manditory jail time I think. Out the country road I live on there are several bags dumped each week. Also matresses, a mircorwave, wardrobes and even a cooker!

Some w**kers also stole our wheelie bin, emptied the contents out further out the road and obviously is now using our bin, just to avoid the rental! What the hell like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I have a friend who, some time ago, saw a passing car passenger toss half consumed fast food and packaging out of the window. When the car stopped at the traffic lights my friend toosed the lot in the window with the remark "I think ye droppped this?" I've always admired his neck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

f*ck em. Let them cycle in England.
    The dublin city centre is not too bad anymore because dublin city counsil have cleaning trucks sweeping the streets all the time. But that just hides the problem which is people's attitude to littering. Ireland is really quite bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

along with the fine, people caught littering or dumping should be forced to do a days work cleaning up messes of an equivalent size with a pink luminous vest and 'im a dirty ****' written across the back. the embarrassment should make them think twice the next time. fining them wont stop them doing it again, but at least this way they would be improving the situation.
    they should have prisoners out earning their free meals too but thats for another day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

They should be punished like dogs when they let one go on the carpet. Stick their noses in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

this country is a ****heap and its the fault of the people living in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I've been in nineteen of them and, with the exception of India, Ireland is the dirtiest.

What countries have you been in that are worse? Apart from third world ones?

What your post highlights is the massive amount of denial we have in this country.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

"...What your post highlights is the massive amount of denial we have in this country..."

eh ???

1 post = massive amount of denial

Did you not read the other posts saying Ireland has a litter problem, which it does, or are you sabre-rattling with an agenda ?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I am pie wrote: »
    "...What your post highlights is the massive amount of denial we have in this country..."

eh ???

1 post = massive amount of denial

Did you not read the other posts saying Ireland has a litter problem, which it does, or are you sabre-rattling with an agenda ?:rolleyes:

He was talking about the massive amount of denial in the country. Not on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I was in Paris this weekend, came home Sunday and headed into town on Monday morning. I knew Dublin was filthy but jesus christ I didn't really how bad it was. Its a disgrace. Seems to be a combination of irish apathy and folk not doing there work properly.

EDIT: Meant to say as well its not just litter making the place look awful, I have noticed lately when they dig up the roads they just throw tar over it and leave it like that, so the roads look crap as your going along, concrete, tar, concrete, tar etc. Awful. Things should be done properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

It makes me livid to see parents encouraging their kids to throw their wrappers on the ground!!! Jeees!!!!!!! If I did that as a kid, I would have had a swift boot up the backside ... and rightly so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I live in the countryside and the amount of litter **** that throw out of their cars its just UNBELIEVABLE.

What annoys me even more is that the vast amount of traffic on these roads near me are either nature walkers (I live near Glendalough) or locals...WTF???

I've been all over Europe and utterly no question - Ireland is the most littered nation by a mile, except maybe parts of Norn Ireland ironically.
    Its disgusting and something I really would applaud the Green's if they introduced serious fines or name and shaming of idiot scumbags caught littering.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Hi, one reason the country is still so dirty is that people (some posters here included, it seems) don't report tippers to the authorities or challenge litterers. I reported one fly-tipper to the council person who told me that she'd recently prosecuted a Garda for littering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

ART6 wrote: »
    I have a friend who, some time ago, saw a passing car passenger toss half consumed fast food and packaging out of the window. When the car stopped at the traffic lights my friend toosed the lot in the window with the remark "I think ye droppped this?" I've always admired his neck!

My other half always does things like that - chasing after peole who litter to tell them they dropped something & once threw the rubbish in the window of a car. The shocked faces are priceless.
    The thing that annoys me the most are cigarette butts - the roads are full of them. And quite often right beside bins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I saw a lad walking through a fairly busy town recently, he dropped some rubbish and a Traffic Warden who saw him from across the road, let a roar at him to pick it up. The lad was mortified, as the warden stood over him as he picked it up and put it in the nearby bin.

Fair play to the Warden.

I smoke, and as you can't smoke ANYWHERE, except outside, it would be great if there were more of the wall mounted ashtrays around. If I'm stuck I'll try to find a drain to chuck it down, but thats not right either. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Phantasm

I hail from one of Ireland's tidiest towns, thank you very much :cool:

[/elvis]

But seriously, every country has their share of dirty towns, no?
    I wouldn't say we're too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I go out hunting in the hills and find rubbish, some of it the type that doesn't blow in the wind, a mile from the nearest dirt track, never mind a proper road.
    Ireland is a disgrace. A certain country i've been in has roads you could eat off, they also cane people. Coincidence? I think not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭adam.number2

No

No
    Excellent first post. Is this in response to the thread title of the previous post?

Ireland is mank, as people are not educated/brought up to respect themselves, their fellow countrymen, non-fellow country man, animals, their surroundings...... you see where I'm going. Also not strict enough when it comes to punnishing those who get out of line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

f*ck em. Let them cycle in England.

Yup.

It's the pikeys down my way, country road splitting our land has become a tip since the caravans arrived about two years.

The oul lad rang the council about bags bumped over our ditch and they threatened to prosecute him for littering if he didn't remove them.:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Littering drives me insane. Recently, I had murder with 3 scumbags who were eating McDonalds in their car and dumped the remnants out the car window which was about 2 feet from the bin. I marched over like a crazy bitch and asked them why they couldn't walk to the bin. They told me to fuck off and I stood there and said if you don't put that in the bin Im gonna do something I will seriously regret. Unbelievably, they apologised and put their rubbish in the bin.:rolleyes:Its just pure laziness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Manufacturers should design packaging that would look nice as litter tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

simu wrote: »
    Manufacturers should design packaging that would look nice as litter tbh.

now thats what i call thinking outside the box lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Living in denial?

what other countries are you thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I have a lane at the back of my house which we own which is not being used but the other day I saw a neighbour of mine dumping stuff there.
    Well it wasnt my neighbour he had paid for some Polish guys to dump it for him.
    So I went over and asked him what the hell he was doing and he said he was dumping his stuff there because no one used the lane.
    I told him it was illegal no matter where he dumped it and I told him to move it quickly because it was my property.
    The cheek of people though they think they can get away with it when people are not looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭robototitico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 TheBouldNaoise

Ireland is a dump - no country beats us for lack of civil pride. Major embarrassment driving around the west recently with friends from abroad. The country is a so manky that we don't even notice anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

one thing that p*sses me off is people that throw bags of rubbish next to bottle banks WTF they know full well that its not supposed to go there and that no c*nt is going to pick it up for them.
    also when you drive out to the countryside and some bol*ox has hoofed a mattress or washing machine into the ditch:mad:
    Touristwise this country has got two things going for it: the countryside(and we fck litter everywhere) and the fabled irish welcome..... no wonder people are going elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement