Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isnt Ireland Filthy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

stevoman wrote: »
    here's a pic of carlow i got from the internet. typical of every town in ireland.
    To be fair, and this town has many problems trust me, litter isn't a big problem in Carlow. That picture isn't representative of what Carlow's like, if you saw an empty bag of crisps on the street here it would stand out because of how clean the place is generally. If only every other problem in Carlow was as well-dealt with... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

It's because you have to pay to go to the tip now - even taking your recycling it's €4.50 just to go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Ireland is disgustingly filthy.

Waterford city after the clubs have closed is reminicent of Third world country rubbish standards. Its shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Ireland is disgustingly filthy.

Waterford city after the clubs have closed is reminicent of Third world country rubbish standards. Its shocking.

to be fair ,im from that city and it is bad.the reason it looks bad is cause all the pubs and fast food places are close together in a small square area,everything tends to be thrown there.but its always sparkling the next morning thanks to the lads from the coperations efforts.but yeah ,the town is full of idiots who think its alright to litter.

as one other poster pointed out ,he/shes travelled alot.so have i , and i have to agree ,ireland is the worst country for littering ever,i was in denmark a few weeks ago ,and i couldnt spot one scrap of litter on the ground,fair play to them,its all about the pride.

put it this way ,i nearly gave my mate a smack a few weeks ago ,couldnt believe he was so stupid and ignorant,i was looking at him in disbelief, was driving up to dublin and he was eating a roll/sandwich when he was finished he threw the wrapper out the window.i was like what the fcuk,wait till we stop and put it in a bin.his excuse?ah sure its only the countryside. i gave him a rollocking and turned around and made him pick it up,fcuks sake,have a bit of pride in YOUR country will ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Wook wrote: »
    Living in denial?

what other countries are you thinking of?

Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I hate people who litter, it is so unnecessary. However I have seen worse. The US for instance, I have never been to New york as the OP has but I know it is filthy because my wife is American. Oh sure the main areas like Manhatten will be clean but outside will probably not be.
    chicago is the same, that is a city I spend a lot of time in and the main downtown loop and areas like that are very clean BUT when you leave those areas it becomes just like Dublin and often worse.

There is a LOT of trash on American highways and interstates.

I am not defending out dirty people but it is not as bad as people say and I remember it being much worse.

Apart from getting people to take pride, we need more gardai, litter wardens and bins on the street and the bins need to be actually emptied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Montreal was worse than Dublin for litter. A lot of homeless people on the streets too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Sadly, the majority of the opinions expressed in this thread are very true. Ireland is filthy. Though, I do disagree with one poster who said that Dublin City Centre was the dirtiest. It really isn't. The council workers keep it fairly tidy, with street sweepers and regularly emptying the bins around the city. I know it's still not tidy to the standard of other European cities but it's a damn sight better than other Irish towns and cities. I travel all over the country and the two filthiest places I've seen are Clonmel and Waterford City. And the one thing that's struck me about each place is the fact that you don't see street sweeping machines or council workers out cleaning the place up. (though I imagine it must be done occasionally) Kilkenny is relatively tidy, Mayo and Galway are pretty nice too. And Limerick and Cork aren't in too bad of a state either but Dublin certainly isn't worse than any of them.

As for rural, countryside ditch dumping, I think this happens everywhere sadly. People who throw rubbish out of car windows are filthy, dirty pr!cks. Littering actually makes my skin crawl. I can't believe it when I see people blatantly drop their rubbish on the ground. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dennisc24

Italy.

I have to agree, Italy is absolutely filthy. I was completely shocked by it!! The whole country is rotten. Drive through Slovenia which is like a litter-free Utopia, and then cross the border into Italy and 50m in, your eyes are just in shock. That's just the countryside like. But the suburbs of cities are full of litter too - they seem to keep on top of it in the city centres for the tourists. And the Italians seem to have some fascination with grafitti over there. It's everywhere, and some is quite good :pac: but not much of it.

One thing about Ireland's roads that make the countrysides look so dirty (the cities have no excuse) is the fact that we have ditches everywhere. Someone throws their rubbish out the window of the car and the wind blows it into the ditch and it stays there. On mainland Europe, there are almost no ditches, just road then field. So if they do throw rubbish out the window, the wind just blows it across the field. I've noticed in the few places that have ditches, there is rubbish stuck in them. So it's not just Ireland that has this disgusting habit (though more of us may have it than elsewhere), but the ditches do highlight it a lot more. Although nowhere else have I seen the phenomenon of a forest furnished with washing machines, matresses and black bags. That's just sick. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Phaetonman wrote: »
    Its not filthy. You should visit more countries if you think Ireland is filthy.

And with this attitude, towns will never be clean. There's no use comparing towns and cities to Kolkata, then giving ourselves a pat on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I was filthy last night....

And Mr Quality liked it..:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Quality wrote: »
    I was filthy last night....

And Mr Quality liked it..:cool:

roleplay hobo sex is always good fun. Did you play the down and out hobo who gets offered help but can only repay her helper with her body?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Here's a great one. I get a note through my letterbox a few months back telling me my bin was overloaded and i had to pay a €75 fine. Thing is when I left my bin out it wasn't overloaded. Went to the council offices in tallaght to complain and to see the litter warden. He wasn't there and he didn't return my messages. I paid the fine as I didn't want to go to court. The girl in the council office said i was wise to pay it as they win more or less all of their cases. I asked her what would happen if someone keeps fly tipping in my bin - would i have to keep paying €75 a week on top of my€8 bin tag. She said "i can see your point of view"!! Thing is i am an avid recycler and tidy freak - not a fecking flytipper!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

newmills wrote: »
    Here's a great one. I get a note through my letterbox a few months back telling me my bin was overloaded and i had to pay a €75 fine. Thing is when I left my bin out it wasn't overloaded. Went to the council offices in tallaght to complain and to see the litter warden. He wasn't there and he didn't return my messages. I paid the fine as I didn't want to go to court. The girl in the council office said i was wise to pay it as they win more or less all of their cases. I asked her what would happen if someone keeps fly tipping in my bin - would i have to keep paying €75 a week on top of my€8 bin tag. She said "i can see your point of view"!! Thing is i am an avid recycler and tidy freak - not a fecking flytipper!!

That is crazy, I thought the worst that happens is if the bin is overloaded etc that they simply do not take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

newmills wrote: »
    Get one of these things. They stay locked if the bin is upright, but will unlock if the bin is tipped up to be emptied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement