Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

english essaysssss

Options
  • 30-04-2008 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

hullo.

learning an essay to adapt for P1 composing section is what everybody in my school is doing and what my teacher advises. And she advises also that we write + work on the essay ourselves.

Buuut I suck. So, would anyone fancy giving me an A answer that they have to adapt? :D Perhaps past (A1!) LC students would prefer to.

That would be legendary.

Aand another Q relating to English P1. Whenever a section B directs 150-200 words, is it bad to go well over it? Because my teacher tells us to write at least one and a half to two A4 pages for ANY section B Q regardless. So what's the advise? I guess it's always best in that case to write 150-200 words concentrating on quality writing, but if it's not going so good, then what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

You'll learn when you get to college that quality is better than quantity, so if you can say what you need to in 150-200 words, go for it. The ability to condense information is something you'll need to be able to do in the real world. I don't see why your teacher would tell you to write 2 A4 pages. Apart from anything else, the LC is tough for time, if they recommend 150-200 words its a time thing as well. 2 A4 pages will take forever to write. You'd be best to do a "mind map" and then compose an anwser from this where the examiner can see the train of thought behind your answer.

And for the essay, stop trying to cheat! Ask your teacher for advice, try a few sample essays yourself and ask her to correct them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I wouldn't advise learning off essays unless it's french/german/irish!!

Get the times every sunday and read it from back to front to make yourself well read and form some opinions in your mind :P:P

The Part B should be 2 pages
    and the Essay Essay should be 5!
    I try to keep it a page per 20 marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

Asking how long an essay should be is kind of a silly question to be honest, and learning off an essay is even sillyer!!

Write what you need to get your points, the lenght is not whats graged, its the content, the language, the coherancy, the content.

also learning off an essay removes the personal experience feel that pretty much all A1 answers need.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Emphasis there on content! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

exactly :p

(I did that delibratly!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ryanj

focus on writing persuasively or informatively - this always comes into writing either a speech or newspaper article. The advantage is that there is no need to know a format for either - you just have an introduction, several paragraphs and a conclusion. This question always asks a general question such as what would be your better future etc, and the second thing I would do is prepare a couple of paragraphs pointers such as on the environment, alcohol abuse etc which can be easily altered whatever comes up; general themes which are specific enough for paragraphs but can be manoeuvered into any paragraph. Finally I would look into how to write informatively or persuasively, whichever you do - for example know things like writing informatively involves simple language, whereas persuasively involves only mentioning advantages, and not mentioning disadvantages.

Advertisement