Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashing (The game, not cars!)

• 30-04-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I was on gamespot and just came across this:

Crashing in GTA4

and a thread here on boards lists one users problem.

Just wanted to see is this a bit of scaremongering by the few or is there a major bug in GTA?

I have the 60GB PS3 (apparently the worst culprit, don't know why) and I have had 3 instances since getting it where the game has locked up for a few seconds (about 10-15 max) and then continued playing without a bother.

Is anyone else experiencing any problems with the game, particularly the PS3 version?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

mine has crashed once in an online game but that was it (60gb ps3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

I experienced one very long load time for the "First Date" mission, about 3 minutes, i was on the verge of resetting, and I also had one crash when leaving a multiplayer game. Xbox 360 version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

crashes sometimes on the map..have to turn power off on PS3

****ing annoying!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

No problems for me (PS3 80GB) but I have seen it posted on other sites too. There's definitely an issue but I don't think it's very widespread. Rockstar have responded saying that affected users should uninstall the game and delete all save data then reinstall it. Seems to have worked for some anyway.

There was a rumour, which I think has since been debunked, that a dodgy batch of discs went to gamestop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Yep, mine crashed during the first date (PS3 40gig)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

stevenmu wrote: »
    No problems for me (PS3 80GB) but I have seen it posted on other sites too. There's definitely an issue but I don't think it's very widespread. Rockstar have responded saying that affected users should uninstall the game and delete all save data then reinstall it. Seems to have worked for some anyway.

There was a rumour, which I think has since been debunked, that a dodgy batch of discs went to gamestop.

:eek:

Yes, deleting all my saved data isn't really what I would consider a bug! At least they have admitted there is a problem anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Yeah mine was freezing for a few seconds a lot last night, happened a couple of times earlier. Just a word of advice, loads of people on other forums have tried deleting their data and reinstalling the game and it hasn't worked. I'm about 22% through the game so I'm wouldn't want to take that option anyway I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i've had one or two 10-20 sec freezes, and one crash that required a reset, this is on a brand new 40 gig ps3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

No crashes as of yet but I have only about 2 or 3 hours gameplay so far but the "First Date" mission did take an awful long time to load : so long that I was about to reset the console....

edit: xbox 360 version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

well I found out why mines crashing, its because I was adjusting the contrast to make it brighter. If I put it back to the preset setting its fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

mine keeps crashing every 5 mins
    using a refurbished 360 from MS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

No problems for me on my 60gb PS3, and I've played it for about 15 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

mines froze mid game about 2 times for no more than 10 seconds a time. has crashed (suddenly got a black screen in middle of driving through city) 4 times since yesterday have played about 12 hours thus far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

miju wrote: »
    mines froze mid game about 2 times for no more than 10 seconds a time. has crashed (suddenly got a black screen in middle of driving through city) 4 times since yesterday have played about 12 hours thus far

Not really a good sign tbh. I hope theres updates aplenty.
    Ive had some framerate issues. Nothing this bad though.
    SD tv matter? Upscaling might be causing a problem. But what do i know. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

I got a "cannot read disc" message in the middle of the first Brucie mission (the fist email you get in game)on 360.Haven't had any other problems though touch wood!!
    I'm sure R* must be working on it now and a patch will be out soon to fix all these problems.

RIGHT! this is pissing me off now!

ok It crashes every single time if I do this:

I go into multi player >>> cannot connect
    I go into multi player >>> crash

The third time everytime it locks up completly!

so I can;t play multiplayer and cannot adjust the contrast of the screen without it crashing! great!

btw a ps3 40gb version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

slinky2000 wrote: »
    RIGHT! this is pissing me off now!

ok It crashes every single time if I do this:

I go into multi player >>> crash

The third time everytime it locks up completly!

so I can;t play multiplayer and cannot adjust the contrast of the screen without it crashing! great!

btw a ps2 40gb version

You can't play it on a ps2,that could be the problem!;)

lol I mean ps3. I've actually realised the problem is totally down to the PS network.

Even if I don't try and connect, if its signed intot he network it will crash every single time. If I disable the connection so it doesn't sign in and play away its AOK!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

im an xbox user but I'm nearly sure I heard the PS3s servers for GTA have been down all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

miju wrote: »
    im an xbox user but I'm nearly sure I heard the PS3s servers for GTA have been down all day

They were up for awhile earlier on. I did some free roam mode with randoms.

Mine locked up once during a cutscene. PS3 40gb model

• Advertisement

AArrgghh! Talk about tempting fate. I was chasing Lyle Rivas down the street and I had my first proper crash. Left it for a few minutes, an entire song played through but still the game didn't kick-start back to life. Really annoying, I hope they sort this problem and identify the problem rather than telling people to go for a fresh start.

This looks like the forum to watch anyway for the latest news:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board?board.id=gta

look at this crashing thread, over 1550 posts in 24 hours!

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=gta&thread.id=370613

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Crashed on me earlier... Completely froze when I was trying to throw a brick through the china shop window.

Had to restart the machine.

This is a PS3 60GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

60gig PS3, froze twice tonight, waited a few minutes, nothing happened, so I took out the disc to see did it need cleaning, each time I took it out the PS3 re-booted.

Bought in GameStop Henry Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

mine crashed twice last night - 60 gig

also cant seem to get online? everyother gamer i have works online fine, what could be wrong? - busy networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Seems the PS3 is having the majority of problems...it pains me to see Microsoft come out ahead...:pac:

BJC wrote: »
    Seems the PS3 is having the majority of problems...it pains me to see Microsoft come out ahead...:pac:

Actually it's happening to the 360 versions too, almost to the same extent.

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

At least GTA has a decent auto save feature... unlike Mass Effect where you can lose hours if it crashes and you haven't been saving manually.

At least GTA has a decent auto save feature... unlike Mass Effect where you can lose hours if it crashes and you haven't been saving manually.

Yeah it hasnt hampered me that much really. Usually the screen just freezes for a few seconds then continues on with the action. Has crashed totally twice though, but didn't have to repeat a mission or anything.

• Advertisement

Its more the current solution than the problem that worries me. As mentioned, autosave is a blessing, but I'm only at 20% completion and don't fancy deleting my saved game on the off-chance that it *might* fix the problem.

Guess we just have to grin and bear it for now.

Advertisement