Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Treaty Debates Podcasted

Options
  • 30-04-2008 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

The radio station I work for produces the podcasts on behalf of the National Forum on Europe

From their site:
    The National Forum On Europe animates and promotes public debate on the EU, its enlargement, its future and Ireland's place in it.

The Forum's purpose is not to advocate or promote a particular course of action. It is to be a politically neutral public space within which political views and analyses of all shades can be put forward on the EU, and on Ireland in the EU.

The Forum took its inspiration from previous fora that had operated in Irish political life regarding the Northern Ireland problem and had done ground-breaking work.

There had been the New Ireland Forum in 1983-4, then the Forum for Peace and Reconciliation (active phase 1994-96). Both had played a role in the gradual creation of dialogue between the different political traditions on the island, feeding into the developments that became known as the peace process, which led to the break-through Belfast Agreement of 1998.

They regularly hold plenary meetings with interesting guest speakers and at the moment they are holding numerous debates all around the country on the Lisbon Treaty with speakers on the No side and the Yes side and then questions and comments taken from the floor.

I tend to end up listening to most of them while editing them together to put up on the podcast and you can get some fairly interesting and heated debates on some of them.

The podcast can be found here:
    http://www.forumoneuropepodcast.org/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

while editing them
    EDITING???????
    Another disgusting tactic by the Yes side to demonise the No campaigners.
    Doubtless they have been edited to make those noble people sound like vicious ideolougues, with only vapid, empty points, based entirely on scaremongering.
    Shame on you Monkeyfudge. Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

EDITING???????
    Another disgusting tactic by the Yes side to demonise the No campaigners.
    Doubtless they have been edited to make those noble people sound like vicious ideolougues, with only vapid, empty points, based entirely on scaremongering.
    Shame on you Monkeyfudge. Shame on you.

Ah no... you'll notice that we've taken each debate and broken it into handy chunks for those who don't want to download the file in it's entirety.

Also bits where a microphone has to be gotten to some one on the floor so they can ask a question leaves a bit of dead air that needs to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yes, we believe you Mr. Fudge.

BOOoooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Also bits where a microphone has to be gotten to some one on the floor so they can ask a question leaves a bit of dead air that needs to come out.
    But that's my favourite bit. :(

Did you write the description blurbs as well? Haven't listened to any of them yet, but the descriptions make them sound pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

"Dead air"? Is that some kind of Yes-side slang for "the No-side's amazing slam-dunk of an arguement where they proved that Europe will enforce baby sacrifice"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

But that's my favourite bit. :(

Did you write the description blurbs as well? Haven't listened to any of them yet, but the descriptions make them sound pretty good.

I usually I just take the text from their press releases.

Near fm is my radio station (We're a not-for-profit community station) we take content form the the larger plenary meetings and produce a weekly programme based on it. You can find them on our stations own podcast: http://www.nearfm.ie/podcast/index.php?cat=Politics

Advertisement