Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Xbox to buy?

• 30-04-2008 3:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭

HI,

I am thinking of buyin an Xbox but notice there are around 4 types - namely Elite, Arcade, Core and Premium.

TBH I will only be playing games with it and if possible (if im able to hook it up, havnt got a notion) some online gameplay so i wouldnt fancy paying €400 + just for a games console. Which 1 should i buy? I wont need a massive hard drive or anything like that just purely for gaming purposes. Are the games the same for all types and can i play the games on all types?

Why all the different ones? Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

the core is no longer available and the arcade is just the updated version of the core. the main difference between em is:
    Arcade: No hard drive RRP: €200
    Premium: 20gb hard drive RRP: €280
    Elite: 120gb hard drive RRP: €380

Apart from that the differences are minimal but there are certain things you cant do without a hard drive such as download arcade games, extra game content, play original xbox games etc. You'd do well to get the premium imo.
    Most of the best deals out there are on the premium aswell such as the xtra vision premium plus 4 games deal for €300 (it'd cost more than that to get the arcade and the games seperately)

oh, and you can hook up any of the models to your broadband router to play online

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Thats great, cheers for that - i think ill get a premium one so unless someone can suggest something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Premium seems right up your street dude!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Cheers, would anyone know is the wireless network adaptor any good. I have Eircom broadband in the gaff so if i had this plugged into my Xbox does this mean i could play online with other people without having it plugged into the phone socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

the elite is the one to go for. only 100 euro extra and it has a hdmi port and a huge hard drive. not that u need the hard drive but better to have it than not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

All the Premiums now (afaik) have hdmi, my sisters does anyway.
    You can get a new hard-drive at a later date (or mod it yourself) if you find you need more space.

I don't really see the need to buy the elite, €100 isnt exactly a drop in the ocean when the premium is €299 with 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'd recommend the Elite; you can never have enough hard-drvie space. If you are strapped for cash get the Premium. Whatever you do, don't get the arcade.

Having no hard-drive and having to use memory cards are just more hassle than they are worth.

Should be a good deal on GTA and the Premium at the moment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Try to get xbox 360 'Halo' edition. It has all the latest hardware including the best cd drive, less likely to burn out or die.

Advertisement