Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO form help ! ! !

Options
  • 30-04-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I'm filling out the CAO form late (again), everything is easy peesy except for the "Relevance of your life / educational experience" section where you're expected to blather on about how great you are. Thing is, i accepted a course from the CAO last year and now i want to do a completely different course in a different college. I'm guessing that this may look bad on this years application? Anybody got any ideas about who reads this? Is the the CAO or is it the HEI's???

Comments

I'm filling out the CAO form late (again), everything is easy peesy except for the "Relevance of your life / educational experience" section where you're expected to blather on about how great you are. Thing is, i accepted a course from the CAO last year and now i want to do a completely different course in a different college. I'm guessing that this may look bad on this years application? Anybody got any ideas about who reads this? Is the the CAO or is it the HEI's???

Hi Paulie,

I wasn't sure what you meant but I had a look at the cao website myself and just above that section is this:

http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index9.htm
    To help you in presenting your application, the HEIs ask that you provide, in a single overall personal statement, the following details, or as much of it as is relevant to your case.

The CAO don't assess anyone getting into college, by the way, it is the HEI's themselves. The CAO just operate the system of getting places for people, which is why you rarely hear anyone from the CAO talking in public :)

So to answer your question, it would be for the HEI's - it's the personal statement. And whether you want to do a different course probably won't matter, since you'll be assessed on why you want to do that subject.

If you're in doubt about whether it will hold you back, it's probably best to contact the admissions office (or the Mature Students' Officer) in the college you're looking to apply to. They should be able to help you you.

Dónal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi Paulie

It might sound like a stupid question considering the forum it's in but are you a mature student, ie over 23?

That part of the form is only for mature students as far as i know and I don't think it's relevant if you are applying under that age as you deferred last year. What i'm trying to say is when you deferred, was it a place you had gained as a mature student or were you just taking year out after the Leaving Cert? If you are just taking a year out, you just fill out the form as normal.

That Life Experience stuff is I suppose to allow the HEIs to assess your ability as a candidate for mature student entry.

Advertisement