Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Exams next Tuesday, Ace Tree services next door

Options
  • 30-04-2008 3:22pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

All day yesterday and all day today.
    Tree services in. 6 men armed with chainsaws. The racket is absolutely unbearable. I have final exams in 6 days.

What are my rights here?

It's a bloody nightmare.

(edit: sorry if this is the wrong place to post this thread, wasn't sure where else to go)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

I'd say you have the right to wear ear plugs and thats about it.

It's the Council? If you make a complaint I'm sure they'll get back to you before July.

Seriously though, I'd complain like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

If they're starting working I think it's before 8.00am and continuing after 6.00pm, get in touch with your Council's Environmental Health..they might have some regulations. Noise pollution is their responsibility.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Don' think it's the council.

think the guy next door has some private company in to get rid of some trees.

They've ****ed off at last.
    BLis for the time being.

If they're back tomorrow don't know what I'll do.

Most annoying sound in the world, the ***** even have one of those shredders that reduces trees to bust.
    I like those machines but the noise is a facking nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Id say tough if its within working hours, go to the library,

• Advertisement

Work which is carried out that causes a noise disturbance is investigated by the Council. As I said, Envisonmrntal Health is your man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Work which is carried out that causes a noise disturbance is investigated by the Council. As I said, Envisonmrntal Health is your man.

The council :rolleyes: ,largest tea party in europe :D

Great contribution to the thread. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I have a right to voice my opinion ,just like you do.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

If they're doing it during normal working hours then they aren't doing anything wrong. Tree cutting is no louder than building sites and I don't see environmental health going around shutting them down.

It's bad luck that the work is going on but that's life - there's always someone somewhere studying or sleeping or trying to get kids down for a nap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jayteecork wrote: »
    wasn't sure where else to go
    Tell us your location, and we'll you of possible quite spots nearby.

Oh, and revenge is best served @ 3am with a speaker full of chainsaw after your exam on a Tuesday morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If they're back tomorrow don't know what I'll do.

There's this thing called a "library"...

eth0_ wrote: »
    There's this thing called a "library"...

I live 6 miles from the library, and believe me it's a lot WORSE.

UCC library is the biggest joke of all time.

I used send weekly emails to the SU president complaining about it a couple of years ago but of course nothing was done the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Earplugs? Or get noise isolating headphones and download some 'white noise' mp3s such as the sound of rain...I find listening to white noise really helps with concentration. And it blocks out outside noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I live 6 miles from the library, and believe me it's a lot WORSE.

UCC library is the biggest joke of all time.

I used send weekly emails to the SU president complaining about it a couple of years ago but of course nothing was done the noise.

Having experienced the UCC library during the worst of the building, I can tell you that NUIG library is in fact the worst of all time.

But on topic, it might be worth going into college and finding a classroom to study in, or even Boole 1 if it's open for study.

If anything can be done about the noise it's unlikely to be done before your exams so you're best getting yourself away from it. The trek into college isn't that bad! I did it for 3 years (from the same place you live if I'm not mistaken.)

Good luck.

I can't study anywhere else but home.

When it's tea break time I make a nice cup of Barry's or Lyon's.

Much nicer than paying 1.10 for that dreadful "catering" tea in Kylemore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

well then you're just going to have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Tree felling is actually quite expensive and given that they finished before darkness (i.e. didnt keep working till they had to stop) I would say that they are done now - very unlikely that they will be back in my opinion.

I think its hilarious how ratty people get trying to study coming up to exams. I had my finals last year and I couldnt concentrate because of the radio in the kitchen, to the extent that I would sit for an hour thinking about it, then snap and storm down shouting and raving and unplug the radio, then go back up. How inconsiderate of them to be listening to the radio while I'm upstairs, haha, just kidding of course as they probably didnt even know I was studying or werent even aware I had exams, parents are just supposed to know these things through pychic powers, tis gas really

Advertisement