Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on the Facelifted Hyundai Sonata?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭keanebg1

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Personally i think its a huge improvement. Bigger lights at the front make it look chunkier and the interior is great looking. They have added a lot of chrome around the outside too. They have replaced the old slot in sony radio with a integrated system which looks much better. Have seen it in black with beige interior, best colour IMO. Brilliant value for money. I would buy one of these if i was in the position to before i would go near the likes of passat, mazda 6, peugeot 407, avensis ect. Loads of space inside aswell and hyundai have a good name for reliability AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

What he said^^^:D

Nice car, only fault with it is the steering wheel - really thin, like something off an old micra. I haven't been in a petrol one yet, but the diesel's are pretty pokey and very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I drove it a few weeks ago,
    They ironed out a lot of the bad points of the old model - the "wrong-way-round" indicators and wipers, the "scum-magnet" stereo, and the horrible unsupportive seats. It's a pity they didn't change the seperate keyfob and key setup for the VW style flip key like in the i30. Cruise control is now standard. drives better than the old one, gear change is pretty slick, and there's more oomph.
    The interior is a nice improvement and the seats are miles better.
    Not convinced by the new front lights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

I agree it looks like a big improvement especially on the inside. I would be inclined to wait for the new i(sonata), Dont know anything about it but i bet it wont be too long before its released as they are planning to upgrade the entire range. I like the direction of the i's, the father bought the i30 petrol and they are really nice. the diesel is more fun imo:pac:

• Advertisement

the i40 is going to be the exact same as this facelifted Sonata. just a name change I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

oh right I didnt realise that. was just assuming they would bring in a brand new one

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the i40 is going to be the exact same as this facelifted Sonata. just a name change I think.

Hyundai are not changing the name to the i40 until its replacement in 2010/2011. I emailed Hyundai some time back to ask them about the i40/new Sonata's release date for Ireland & was told the facelifted car will remain being called the Sonata.

You thinking of buying one Keane?

You thinking of buying one Keane?

Maybe, leaning towards it. Would I be mad to but a new Sonata?

• Advertisement

keanebg1 wrote: »
    Maybe, leaning towards it. Would I be mad to but a new Sonata?

Depends on how long you keep it for. If you keep it for 4/5 years I'd say it'd lose less money than the equivelant Accord Exec diesel when you take the difference in the purchase price into account. I'm not saying the Sonata is an Accord beater, but the 10 odd grand difference in the purchase price should be enough to make it in the running.

I am a very big fan of the diesel accord, but i think that if your in the price bracket of the sonata it is probably the best buy out there. As i said, I would definately consider this before the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Whilst the Sonata is a fine big car, and reasonably well equipped, an drives ok too....
    (ok that's the pros)
    It's a large Korean saloon with a dismal depreciation history. (just look at 2nd hand values) (Coupes and Santa Fa have the lowest depreciation write down)
    You won't keep the car for 4/5 years, spare parts for Hyundai are extorinate - considering how 'cheap' the car was originally. Also, look at the model turnover period - the cars radically change their looks every model change - so your car gets dated much quicker.
    Always factor in the depreciation into your cost of ownership costs,
    Me personally, I'll never buy any new car (unless I win big on the Lotto!), as the idea behind an asset is that it appreciates, not depreciates. Fecked if I'm gonna pay a fortune for that 'brand new car smell'

the main reason for the old Sonata's vertical depreciation was the choice of engines. 2.4 2.7 or 2.0 petrol. The diesel engine in the current model is keeping residuals healthy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

gman2k wrote: »
    Whilst the Sonata is a fine big car, and reasonably well equipped, an drives ok too....
    (ok that's the pros)
    It's a large Korean saloon with a dismal depreciation history. (just look at 2nd hand values) (Coupes and Santa Fa have the lowest depreciation write down)
    You won't keep the car for 4/5 years, spare parts for Hyundai are extorinate - considering how 'cheap' the car was originally. Also, look at the model turnover period - the cars radically change their looks every model change - so your car gets dated much quicker.
    Always factor in the depreciation into your cost of ownership costs,
    Me personally, I'll never buy any new car (unless I win big on the Lotto!), as the idea behind an asset is that it appreciates, not depreciates. Fecked if I'm gonna pay a fortune for that 'brand new car smell'

the new Sante fes residuals are very strong. I Thought they might drop big time in price..but man there still expensive second hand.

Advertisement