Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under 23 squad

• 30-04-2008 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Republic of Ireland Under-23 squad

Barry Murphy Shamrock Rovers
    Brendan Clarke St Patrick Athletic:cool:
    Conor Kenna UCD
    Ger O Brien Shamrock Rovers
    Joseph O Cearuill St Patrick Athletic:cool:
    Gavin Peers Sligo Rovers
    Conor Powell Bohemians
    Shane Guthrie Cobh Ramblers
    Seamus Coleman Cobh Ramblers
    JohnPaul Kelly Bohemians
    Killian Brennan Bohemians
    Steven Rice Shamrock Rovers
    Paul Keegan Drogheda United
    Steven O Donnell Bohemians
    Ruairi Higgins Derry City
    Paddy Kavanagh Bray Wanderers
    Denis Behan Cork City
    Mark Quigley St Patrick Athletic:cool:
    Dave Mooney Cork City
    Gerard Rowe Bray Wanderers.:eek:

Decent team, but wtf Rowe! ONYD should get a chuckle out of that one.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Take that senior squad, not one English based player in the under-23's.:D

As for Ger Rowe.:eek: Anto Flood is better than that waster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

paul keegan is 24 this year how is he eligible?

plus he is rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

redzerdrog wrote: »

plus he is rubbish

I take it you're allow 3 over 23's like some competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Thank that senior squad, not one English based player in the under-23's.:D
    If you're Under 23, playing in England and aren't already in the U18/21 squad or full squad, it's time for you to come back home... ;)

But seriously, wasn't agreed to use home schooled players for the U23 squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Ger Rowe is a decent player, scored a belter at the weekend and is worthy of his place, he is just an *edited by orders of the Mods*who allowed a certain coach/agent tap him up on behalf of another team. He took bad advice, and whats worse, he naively believed certain pair of former Shels employed short arses were acting in his interests.

He was looked after at Rovers and blew it for the promise of a few more quid a week across town from people who may or may not have been acting on authority.

As our manager put it "Ger didn't do what he did to end up at Bray"

Good to see Shane Guthrie in there as well, broke his leg badly when at Rovers. Nice lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Behan? He must be hard up for strikers. Plus he must be 24 at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

gimmick wrote: »
    Behan? He must be hard up for strikers. Plus he must be 24 at this stage?

I'd say 26 stone myself Gimmick:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Flood should easily be in that squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

'Steven' Rice and 'Steven' O'Donnell?
    You'd have thought the FAI would be able to spell the names of its internationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

"Ger didn't do what he did to end up at Bray"
    Quick detour down the M50 perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Take that senior squad, not one English based player in the under-23's.:D

Hmm. It is probably because the whole thing is a runners up competition, a gold star for players who werent ever picked up by a superior league. Take O`Cearuil for example. Sorry but Id have my doubts about the international pedigree of an English player who couldnt find a club in the English leagues (and, of course, if he was defending his bollix off at Arsenal the EL mob would be decrying this mercenary for daring to wear a green shirt on international duty because he couldnt get a game off Capello)

Dont get me wrong, I hope they do well. It is always good to see Irish people do well in footie whatever the club or tournament (even though the EL mafia seems to have an issue with this when it is regarding Sunderland). I also hope, undoubtedtly like every one of those players, that they make an impression which attracts the attention of a foreign scout, which in turn might lead to appearances on the Irish senior team. Because no Ireland manager in his right mind is going to pick players for international games that have not played against players of c`ship quality at a bare minimum.

shane86 wrote: »
    Hmm. It is probably because the whole thing is a runners up competition, a gold star for players who werent ever picked up by a superior league. Take O`Cearuil for example. Sorry but Id have my doubts about the international pedigree of an English player who couldnt find a club in the English leagues (and, of course, if he was defending his bollix off at Arsenal the EL mob would be decrying this mercenary for daring to wear a green shirt on international duty because he couldnt get a game off Capello)

Dont get me wrong, I hope they do well. It is always good to see Irish people do well in footie whatever the club or tournament (even though the EL mafia seems to have an issue with this when it is regarding Sunderland). I also hope, undoubtedtly like every one of those players, that they make an impression which attracts the attention of a foreign scout, which in turn might lead to appearances on the Irish senior team. Because no Ireland manager in his right mind is going to pick players for international games that have not played against players of c`ship quality at a bare minimum.

Ugh, I almost wretched reading this.

DSB wrote: »
    Ugh, I almost wretched reading this.

Same as me reading the "take that senior squad, none of your players are worthy to make thie u-23s" load of arse.

Hmm. The popular chip in shoulder view is that mercenaries like Clinton Morrison didnt grow up in London dreaming all his boyhood of wearing the green, yet O`Cearuil always wanted to play in the EL?

Leave off. The EL mob strike again with the fook England and all who associate with its satanic leagues waffling. I think some of them would be happy if we were 6th seeders as long as we fielded all EL teams.

Same as me reading the "take that senior squad, none of your players are worthy to make thie u-23s" load of arse.

Hmm. The popular chip in shoulder view is that mercenaries like Clinton Morrison didnt grow up in London dreaming all his boyhood of wearing the green, yet O`Cearuil always wanted to play in the EL?

Leave off. The EL mob strike again with the fook England and all who associate with its satanic leagues waffling. I think some of them would be happy if we were 6th seeders as long as we fielded all EL teams.

you got that from the above how exactly?

you got that from the above how exactly?

Gavin Shels post?

There is an enormous chip amongst some people here about the national team and the lack of EL participation. Few of these people are ready to admit that until Irish clubs become a force in European football the best and even not particularly good Irish players will be poached to England, and these are the players who will get national call ups.

Gavin clearly wasn't being serious. The whole idea of the squad was to give domestic players a chance to shine. You need to get over your ridiculous phobia of League of Ireland fans. Pretty much every post in this thread has been about the actual squad and you're bringing up absolute rubbish like that.

Gavin clearly wasn't being serious.

You sure?

He seemed serious enough re some of the other irrational stuff Ive seen about the international set up.

As said, Im all supportive of Irish people getting their 15 minutes no matter what the club or tournament.

Including Sunderland.

Something alot of EL fans arent particularly fond off. It`s good to see domestic based players in an international tournament but bad to support a club with alot of Irish investment, manager and players? (players of lagrely limited talent mind, but still). Smacks of double standards to me. Im no mad S`Land head and dont hero worship Roy like some people, but I wouldnt have liked to see them relegated.

It`s good to see domestic based players in an international tournament but bad to support a club with alot of Irish investment, manager and players? (players of lagrely limited talent mind, but still). Smacks of double standards to me.

I think people would just rather see our own league do well, instead of depending on another league to foster our players. In an ideal world players won't have to move over to England at such a young age to have any chance at international success. Players move countries all the time to further their career but its fairly different when they're gone at 16 or 17 without having the chance to cut their teeth at home.

Plus, I've never seen anyone advocate that the national team should be filled with only domestic players, only that should be put at an equal chance of getting in. Trappatoni is a smart enough man to be able to judge the quality of a player regardless of who he is playing against. Saying a player needs to be playing in a certain league to be worthy of a callup is ignorance at best. If a player has the quality, he has the quality, no matter where he is. That isn't to say I think there are a huge number, if any players in the league at present, worthy of a shot, but the door shouldn't be shut like you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

bad to support a club with alot of Irish investment, manager and players? (players of lagrely limited talent mind, but still).

Sounds like most el clubs tbh.

someone tell me what the **** sunderland and roy ****ing keane has got to do with this thread:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

someone tell me what the **** sunderland and roy ****ing keane has got to do with this thread:confused::confused::confused:
    Absolutely nothing.

It's baiting, don't rise to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Hmm. It is probably because the whole thing is a runners up competition, a gold star for players who werent ever picked up by a superior league.
    pathetic ignorant condescending attitude.

the whole point of this Under 23 selection is to give eL players a fair opportunity to play international football and to develop their game. you can guarantee our now good enough Kevin Doyle would have been playing in this 'runners up competition' if it existed a few years back because obviously every player who plays eL isn't good enough because they play eL :rolleyes:
    Take O`Cearuil for example. Sorry but Id have my doubts about the international pedigree of an English player who couldnt find a club in the English leagues (and, of course, if he was defending his bollix off at Arsenal the EL mob would be decrying this mercenary for daring to wear a green shirt on international duty because he couldnt get a game off Capello)
    i dont think O'Cearuill is anywhere near good for international football aswell and i have been saying this when he was at Arsenal, Barnet and Pats. again your comment in brackets shows you're full of nothing but sh!t.
    Dont get me wrong, I hope they do well.
    i dont think you do. every single one of your posts about the eL and its players is ignorant, condescending and judgmental about their respective abilities solely because they are playing it the eL without actually viewing individual players live in the flesh. when you throw out phases out like 'runners up competition' your only putting down these players when many of them have better attitudes than some of the f**kwits regularly getting selected for the proper international squad.
    It is always good to see Irish people do well in footie whatever the club or tournament (even though the EL mafia seems to have an issue with this when it is regarding Sunderland).
    :rolleyes:
    people despise Sunderland because they are deliberately marketing themselves as if they are 'Irish club' and are attempting to take fans who should be on the terraces in Dublin, Cork, Galway or wherever every Friday. i want to Sunderland to do sh!t because i despise everything they stand for under their current ownership of Niall Quinn. does that mean i want Roy O'Donovan and Anthony Stokes to individually have sh!t careers? no. this is where you are struggling with the distinction between club rivalry/hatred and individual players careers. club hatred always takes precidence over individual players careers. by your logic i should start wishing Bohs, Pats and Rovers do well all the time and not ever get relegated because they are Irish clubs and have Irish players and we should all patriotically support each other. that defies the purpose of football rivalries. i want players like Brian Murphy, Tadgh Purcell to have successful careers but that does not stop me dreaming of the day they are part of a relegated Bohs or Rovers team.

and where the f**k did Sunderland deserve to come into this thread? :rolleyes:
    I also hope, undoubtedtly like every one of those players, that they make an impression which attracts the attention of a foreign scout, which in turn might lead to appearances on the Irish senior team. Because no Ireland manager in his right mind is going to pick players for international games that have not played against players of c`ship quality at a bare minimum.

so English championship is bare minimum even though that league like eircom league is not near a comparative standard of international football?

if someone is good enough for the international team even if they play Premiership, championship, league 1, eircom league, SPL, serie B, C then they are good enough, stop putting players individual abilities against the pedestal of what league they play in!
    what the f**k?

why has the 'Clinton Morrison/Plastic Paddy' topic risen?

what has Joe O'Cearuill's decision to play eL got to do with 'popular chip on shoulder' views?

what does any of this got to do with this thread? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

oh jesus christ

i dont know whether i want to laugh or cry
    There is an enormous chip amongst some people here about the national team and the lack of EL participation. Few of these people are ready to admit that until Irish clubs become a force in European football the best and even not particularly good Irish players will be poached to England, and these are the players who will get national call ups.
    again, you are struggling to make the distinction between people who have a chip on their shoulder and people making rational points and arguments based on their experience of watching players in the flesh week in week out who have ability but frustratingly are automatically not good enough for the international squad even if they were Kevin Doyle when a constant stream of English based hacks stroll into the squad and do sweet f.a.

just out of interest Shane86, since you are so confident of that eircom league players are not good enough but championship players are can you tell me how often you actually go to eircom league matches to suss the players out in the flesh? (and not through a tv screen which is the worst medium to judge players workrate and skill)
    He seemed serious enough re some of the other irrational stuff Ive seen about the international set up.

lol
    As said, Im all supportive of Irish people getting their 15 minutes no matter what the club or tournament.

Including Sunderland.

Something alot of EL fans arent particularly fond off. It`s good to see domestic based players in an international tournament but bad to support a club with alot of Irish investment, manager and players? (players of lagrely limited talent mind, but still). Smacks of double standards to me. Im no mad S`Land head and dont hero worship Roy like some people, but I wouldnt have liked to see them relegated.

i've already replied to this pathetically weak argument in an earlier quote.

jaysus could you imagine all the big 4 Dublin clubs wishing each other to win trophies because they are Irish and have Irish players..... sounds exciting.
    EL mob
    EL mafia
    The EL mob strike again

troll territory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

and back to normal rational posts!
    Flood should easily be in that squad.

ahead of proven Premier Division quality strikers Tadgh Purcell and Conor Sammon?

as much as I'm a huge fan of Flood reality is he is nowhere near the technical level of the strikers selected and the likes of Purcell and Sammon. its one thing banging them in against piss poor opposition like Athlone and Longford, its another doing it against International opposition. not to say i'd rule any First Division player out, Flood himself, Cassidy from Dundalk and Byrne from Fingal would all be worthy of a call up if there was an exodus of players pulling out of the squad.

Flood is Premier Division quality in my eyes anyway. Unproven indeed, but sure thats the idea of this whole squad, giving players a chance. Sammon is also definitely worthy too though. Hard one to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lol @shane86

lol@Flood he is awful absolutley awful, hes not unproved at PL hes played in and wasnt good enough. I had hoped he would do well but he just wasnt good enough (keegan and molloy were the front 2 then).

I dont like the idea of Fenlon picking this team as a paid employee of Bohs, nowt to do with bohs just he has on occasion with a previous team had some dubious transfer dealings.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Lol @shane86

lol@Flood he is awful absolutley awful, hes not unproved at PL hes played in and wasnt good enough. I had hoped he would do well but he just wasnt good enough (keegan and molloy were the front 2 then).

Failed to make the grade at Rovers too - happy for the guy that he is doing wekk, but at a mid table first division side. He is way off the list we are talking about here.
    I dont like the idea of Fenlon picking this team as a paid employee of Bohs, nowt to do with bohs just he has on occasion with a previous team had some dubious transfer dealings

Next you will be saying he might take the opportunity to tap players up at the U23 games. An outrageous slander. ;)

Flood in the squad.

Delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Argentina squad for their last international:

Goalkeepers:
    Roberto Abbondanziere (Getafe, Spain)
    Oscar Ustari (Getafe)
    Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands)

Defenders:
    Javier Zanetti (Internazionale, Italy)
    Nicolás Burdisso (Internazionale)
    Martín Demichelis (Bayern München, Germany)
    Gabriel Milito (Barcelona, Spain)
    Gabriel Heinze (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Fabricio Coloccini (Deportivo de La Coruña, Spain)

Midfielders:
    Esteban Cambiasso (Internazionale)
    Fernando Gago (Real Madrid)
    Pablo Zabaleta (Espanyol, Spain)
    Javier Mascherano (Liverpool, England)
    Maximiliano Rodríguez (Atlético de Madrid, Spain)
    Luís González (Porto, Portugal)

Forwards:
    Julio Cruz (Internazionale)
    Sergio Agüero (Atlético de Madrid)
    Lisandro López (Porto)
    Fernando Cavenaghi (Bordeaux, France)
    Ezequiel Lavezzi (Napoli, Italy)

I wonder do their fans complain about not having any home-based players in their squad?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

el_weirdo wrote: »
    Argentina squad for their last international:

Goalkeepers:
    Roberto Abbondanziere (Getafe, Spain)
    Oscar Ustari (Getafe)
    Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands)

Defenders:
    Javier Zanetti (Internazionale, Italy)
    Nicolás Burdisso (Internazionale)
    Martín Demichelis (Bayern München, Germany)
    Gabriel Milito (Barcelona, Spain)
    Gabriel Heinze (Real Madrid, Spain)
    Fabricio Coloccini (Deportivo de La Coruña, Spain)

Midfielders:
    Esteban Cambiasso (Internazionale)
    Fernando Gago (Real Madrid)
    Pablo Zabaleta (Espanyol, Spain)
    Javier Mascherano (Liverpool, England)
    Maximiliano Rodríguez (Atlético de Madrid, Spain)
    Luís González (Porto, Portugal)

Forwards:
    Julio Cruz (Internazionale)
    Sergio Agüero (Atlético de Madrid)
    Lisandro López (Porto)
    Fernando Cavenaghi (Bordeaux, France)
    Ezequiel Lavezzi (Napoli, Italy)

I wonder do their fans complain about not having any home-based players in their squad?:rolleyes:

Yes they do actually, i notice you picked the squad of EUROPEAN based players that played vs Egypt and won 2-0. Why not get their last competitive fixture squad, think theres 9 home based players in that one.

If your gonna :rolleyes: try do it right.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yes they do actually, i notice you picked the squad of EUROPEAN based players that played vs Egypt and won 2-0. Why not get their last competitive fixture squad, think theres 9 home based players in that one.

If your gonna :rolleyes: try do it right.

kdjac

If you say their fans complain, fair enough, their fans complain... That answers my question.

The :rolleyes: was more for the fact that I've heard this argument many times and i'm pretty sick of it. The fact is that IMO, EL players just aren't of the standard to be playing international football at the moment due to them not playing at a high enough level week-in-week-out. Until the EL ups it game, which I hope it does, this is going to be the case. Although I do agree that utilising B internationals more would do a lot to help EL players progress as another poster has said.

DesF wrote: »
    It's baiting, don't rise to it.

The only baiting I saw was Gavin Shels us vs the world sniping at the senior squad, as if to differentiate between the plastic paddys who follow Trappos team and who have Sky Sports and the real salt of the earth fans who follow the under 23s.

And yes. I should have ignored it. Id had a few though.

Absoloutely **** all. Neither does the fact all senior team players are based in England have anything to do with it, but he still had to get the point across didnt he.
    people despise Sunderland because they are deliberately marketing themselves as if they are 'Irish club' and are attempting to take fans who should be on the terraces in Dublin, Cork, Galway or wherever every Friday. i want to Sunderland to do sh!t because i despise everything they stand for under their current ownership of Niall Quinn.

So essentially you are pissed that a group of Irish businessmen seeking to earn a profit invested alot of money in a foreign club. Righto :rolleyes:

Anyway, enough of this. The under 23 squad meets most of the requirements for entering Olympic football afaik. Why havent they? While I said (believe it or not) I wish them the best in this contest surely the Olympics has more prestige?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

plus he is rubbish
    Eligibility is the same as for U21 euro championships- once you are the correct age at the start of the competition you are able to play the whole campaign. That's why Reo-Coker, to give an example, played in last year's U21 championships, despite being 23.

i heard somewhere that Paul Keegan is captain anyone know if this is true?

Anyway, enough of this. The under 23 squad meets most of the requirements for entering Olympic football afaik. Why havent they? While I said (believe it or not) I wish them the best in this contest surely the Olympics has more prestige?
    Good question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

That would be sweet, Fenlon could select all the best players from Pats, Drogs, Cork and Derry leaving us managerless for a while but with a full squad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement