Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I any chance

Options
  • 30-04-2008 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Just wondereing what my situation would be, i bought an item of a company on 12/12/2005, it was warrainty for 2 years from date of purchase, on 04/03/2008 i had to go and get that item again of the company the original item had become faulty, im thinkin of bringing this to the small claims court i reckon it should have last for at least 10 years, any advice would be greatly appreaciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ports best wrote: »
    Hi.

Just wondereing what my situation would be, i bought an item of a company on 12/12/2005, it was warrainty for 2 years from date of purchase, on 04/03/2008 i had to go and get that item again of the company the original item had become faulty, im thinkin of bringing this to the small claims court i reckon it should have last for at least 10 years, any advice would be greatly appreaciated. Thank you.

Waste of money.

What you think has nothing to do with the law, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

yes but under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980, goods should be:

of merchantable quality
    as described
    fit for its purpose
    corresponding to sample

i think all of the above points are enforceable under irish law regardsless or there own terms and conditions and regardsless of any warrainty or guarantee set out by the company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Depends on the item in question. Is this something that would reasonably be expected to last more than 2 years, or up to 10 years? Your own opinion of this would not be regarded as proof, you'd need some kind of industry recognition of it maybe.

Small Claims might not do the trick either, you may well need an actual solicitor to fight the point. If you contact the consumer association, they will only tell you that the warranty may not have run out in 2 years, which is what you think yourself, but they probably won't give a hard and fast answer.

yes but under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980, goods should be:

of merchantable quality
    as described
    fit for its purpose
    corresponding to sample

i think all of the above points are enforceable under irish law regardsless or there own terms and conditions and regardsless of any warrainty or guarantee set out by the company

Electrical goods warranty is for one year. By law.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

of merchantable quality
    as described
    fit for its purpose
    corresponding to sample

it doesn't say they have to be fit for their purpose until the end of time. it doesn't say anything about time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi.

Erm... 2005 + 2 years = 2007. I hate to tell ya mate, but it's now 2008. The warranty is gone. Finished. Maybe if it were less than a month out of warranty, and they were feeling nice, they may, out of their own pockets, fix it, but well over 4 months? Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

What was the item you bought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

SDooM wrote: »
    Electrical goods warranty is for one year. By law.

i got shot down quite abruptly for stating this before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

thanks for all the replies im still a bit confused and dont know what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

tell us what you are talking about.

Car: may have a case

iPod: probably don't

Newspaper: deffo don't.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i got shot down quite abruptly for stating this before?

Link?

thanks for all the replies im still a bit confused and dont know what to do

Depends what you are talking about, in all likely hood you can't do anything as it's out of date, unless its a special circumstance.

Advertisement