Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Maher attacks Ratzinger and Catholic Church

Options
  • 30-04-2008 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Has anyone heard Bill Mahers beautifully worded attack on the pope?

Watch here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XJMlT76XQ8o&feature=related

I don’t know much about Maher and the Nazi comment while technically true is probably unjust but it’s great to see a major TV figure lay into Mr. Ratzinger and his followers in such a visceral way.

(note: this video was posted by a reactionary Catholic group calling for Maher’s head, I’m linking for the content of the video not their views.)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

saw that on real time, was quite lulzy. can't wait for his new movie 'religulous' coming out in july.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Funny, but the Pope was not a nazi.
    He was a member of Hitler Youth, and I don't think (in Nazi Germany, that he had much choice in the matter).

Still funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Mordeth wrote: »
    saw that on real time, was quite lulzy. can't wait for his new movie 'religulous' coming out in july.

Will that be in the cinemas, do ya think? Hope so...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

in america probably, but here? God knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Some impartial coverage of the controversy here:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qw27QvxF6Tg&feature=related :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

This is the bit that really gets me, he called the Catholic Church a "child abusing religious cult". That's right, he called the Catholic Church a cult.

Yes, that is the part to focus on ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Funny, but the Pope was not a nazi.
    He was a member of Hitler Youth, and I don't think (in Nazi Germany, that he had much choice in the matter).

Still funny.
    But you'd think God's emisarry on earth would stand up for what's right, no matter what. After all, God was on his side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    Some impartial coverage of the controversy here:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qw27QvxF6Tg&feature=related :pac:
    Hah, fair and balanced :D

I hope HBO don't fold

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

humanji wrote: »
    But you'd think God's emisarry on earth would stand up for what's right, no matter what. After all, God was on his side.
    He only became God's emissary when he became pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah, but god knows everything that was, is and ever shall be. He knew that he'd be pope and so should of given him the strength to lead by example. It's what I'd do if I was God (after all the parties and stuff).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

I’d be all about the swapping of heads myself.

Advertisement