Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need digtial odometer converted to kilometers

Options
  • 30-04-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Does anybody know some place where I can a digital odometer converted
    from miles to kilometres?

I recently bought a car from the UK that was originally from Japan. The english
    owner had the cars odometer converted from kilometres to miles, now I need
    to get it changed back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,863 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you got the original manual? On most cars it can be done by the trip computer, although its sometimes a hidden menu option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Why do you need to get the odometer changed to kilometres? What's wrong with it in miles? I presume you want to get the clocks changed from mph to km/h, and that of course includes changing the mileometer.

Assuming that to be the case then it really is not worth the hassle.

If it's just a case where it's a digital odometer that can show mileage in both miles and kilometres then it's time to tell us what the car is and maybe someone might know how to do it;)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

pobber1 wrote: »
    Does anybody know some place where I can a digital odometer converted
    from miles to kilometres?

I recently bought a car from the UK that was originally from Japan. The english
    owner had the cars odometer converted from kilometres to miles, now I need
    to get it changed back.

What Car is it?
    How was it converted?
    - Chip / piggyback device
    - English Digital clocks fitted?
    -other

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

It's a 2004 Honda Integra Type R. I want it changed back because as soon
    as I remove device that converted the speedometer from KPH to MPH the
    odometer will start counting in kilometres again. This will mean that that
    car's odometer will have counted in kilometres then in miles and then in kilometres again. So I'll have to use a calculator every time I want to work out how many kilometres the car has driven (does that make sense??).

I don't think there is an option to change the odometer to kilometres as least that's according to the lads on an Integra forum. The was after all only intended for the Japanese market.

I'm not sure how the car had it's odometer converted in the UK but I can find out. Any advice much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Nice car. One of the best handling FWD cars ever made so I'm told. It's really not worth the hassle getting it changed(in Britain they're really sad that way and some MOT centres insist that Jap or indeed any import must have that speedo in the "all important" miles an hour before letting the car pass the MoT). You'll pay a pretty sum for it and then when you resell it the car will be worth less because the clocks have been changed twice. Surely the speedo is marked in mph and km/h anyway? If it is then you have the markings in km/h already and if you don't then 5 miles ~ 8 kilometres, so 30 km/h = 20 mph(well 19 to be more precise), 50 km/h=30 mph roughly(actually 31), 60 km/h = 35 mph roughly,(37 to be precise) 80 km/h = exactly 50 mph, 100 km/h = just over 60 mph(62 to be exact) and 120 km/h = bang on 75 mph, but either way I stand by what I said above.

Anyway if you're worried about the speed limit then you shouldn't have bought a 'Teg Type-R in the first place;)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

Thanks for the reply E92.

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself properly.

Speedometer Conversion : a small device is placed in the circuit for the wiring that reads the speed the car is doing from the gearbox. The speedometer
    gauge on the integra only list in KPH. When the guys in the UK install the speedo conversion device they simply put a little black sticker with an 'M' on it over the 'K' in KPH on the dial. So from then on the speedo reads like it is in MPH. I am going to remove the device on top of the gearbox and take off the little black sticker so now the speedo will read in KPH.

Odometer Conversion : it is a digital odometer so when it came into the UK the reading was converted to kilometers i.e. 27,000km changed to ~17,000miles.

The problem I have is that as soon as remove the device on top of the gear box the cars odometer will begin counting in kilometers again. When I go to sell the car I will have to explain to a potential buyer that the reading on the clock is not correct, this will make most buyers walk away. In order to work out what the correct reading is I would have to tell the buyer that the car had 27,000km when it came in from Japan, then it was converted to miles and
    had 5000miles (8000km) put on it. Then when it got to Ireland the clock started counting in kilometers again. Right now it has 35,000km (22,000miles listed on the clock). If I don't change it the odometer clock looks like it has 22,000km. I hope that makes sense.

There is a guy in the UK who can do it but I would have to remove the gauge cluster and post it over to him. I was sure I had heard of a company over here that could do digital odometer adjustments.

Advertisement